Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

This editorial was published on the Forbes website earlier this year:

http://www.forbes.co...ho-is-to-blame/

and is bouncing around Twitter again.

The part of this story that saddens me most is that Alex's mother had fallen prey to one of the many evil parasites who sell false hope and dodgy autism treatments.

Everyone here knows my feelings about ABA & Son-Rise, but even those greedy organisations achieve some results for their clients; meanwhile, the lotions, potions and diets sold by private clinics in the UK & USA achieve literally nothing for autism and overcharge families for the privilege. The best you can hope for is some relief in a comorbid condition which results in a reduction in triggers for challenging behaviours and, if you're lucky, the Hawthorne Effect (http://www.slate.com...rne_effect.html)

In the words of the editorial, instead of getting the support and medical help he needed, Alex was given treatments that failed to meet his needs, failed to deliver the hope that his mother was persuaded to pay for, contributed to collapse of his mother's mental health, and contributed to this tragedy.

Gareth

#2 gingerpig

gingerpig

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yes but which version is easier to read and allow people to feel thrillingly judgemental and "right" in their convictions?

#3 Upsy Daisy

Upsy Daisy

Tamora

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

I don't suppose that the person who wrote the article has any experience of living with a child who has Autism. It's easy to sit in judgement when you're choosing your own evidence.

• Jolly Roger likes this

#4 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

There was another one flying around on FB Izzy Stapleton whos mother tried to kill her and also herself.

Murder is wrong end of. And the discussions on Facebook on this particular one got very heated.

Murder is always wrong but I will never pass comment on any murderer. The mother of Alex, Izzy or the two boys that killed that toddler in recent times. Not of whoever shot the president or anyone.

The reason being is I will never see in their heads, understand their thoughts or know if they were even able to think about their actions.

What annoys me no end is the people who get angry about what the mum did and go on and on about how the child was a human and had feelings and bla bla bla yep same for anyone who is murdered.

What else annoys me is when the same people defend someone with Autism who commits a crime (like the american hacker guy) and blames their actions on their Autism.

Autism can be a reason for doing something bad but equally so can being a parent of a child with Autism they are both hard. Neither is an excuse but we all know from personal experience that living with a disability (having it or being a carer) makes us more prone to negative thoughts, brings us more battles (or at least different battles) to most people and can make us feel like there is no point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users