• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I find it sad that many professionals see masking as managing and use this as justification to withdraw support. I've had the discussion more times than I care to remember. They don't see the cost so find it easy to deny it.

I've worked with professionals who don't just see masking and displacement as "managing," but even as a vindication of their strategies and policies. The harm that is inflicted on ASD people and their families has been dismissed - all that matters is that you can't "see" the difficulties in the classroom (or wherever.)

They do this because it generates the results and paperwork that hit their professional targets - and as everyone who works in the public sector knows, you are allowed to sacrifice anything to hit your targets, and when you do it you get a pay rise.
  • Upsy Daisy and Sacsovzc like this

#17 Doryfish

Doryfish

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Upsy Daisy I'm glad you said that and how you worded it was spot on.

I love going out and doing things but the price of being as close to what society sees as normal is massive!

But I know some people (not on ASDF) would disagree with us so thought I would put it out there!

I find it sad that many professionals see masking as managing and use this as justification to withdraw support. I've had the discussion more times than I care to remember. They don't see the cost so find it easy to deny it.

I have to jump in this because it is SO true. I come across so many professionals both personally and in my job who believe that because a child is masking it means they are coping and it's viewed in a positive light. It's ok to leave them to it with no support because they are coping and that's all that matters. It doesn't make any difference that the child is up all night long or refusing to eat or having huge violent melt downs as a result of this 'coping'. I know of a professional whose constant agenda is "if we put support in then it fails the child because they become over-reliant on it." I have had parents telling me that they have been accused of 'disabling' their children by asking for support. It's SO wrong.

• Upsy Daisy and rama like this

#18 rama

rama

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Watching films,reading,painting shabby furniture,writing,photography,
    growing stuff,peace and quiet when possible(!)

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

I agree with what everyone has been saying about masking( sorry can't quote for some reason now).We know after two weeks of obviously high anxiety re going back to school/ new teacher/classroom etc that our daughter will now be seen as 'coping".

I don't know many nine year olds that are coping that put a timetable in their shoe ( even though it is the same room and same teacher) so they always have it on them and won't lose it. Or children that  fold a tissue and put in their pocket so they can squeeze it if they feel like crying.The tissue comes home mangled.

This is 'coping", her finding her own strategies to deal with difficult seperation and changes because SHE has to.Hopefully support is now SLOWLY being put into place but the fact that she is a girl, doesn't have any behaviour issues and internalizes her anxiety's means that she is overlooked and for the last year seen as "fine".At what emotional cost? Never mind coping with her anxiety and trying to learn anything...

We have had to list strategies that we think would help.This should be in place as a basic.

Starting my own dictionary of ASD related words"Fine" and "Coping" and  'Mild" and "Label" are all in the section marked "Just you try  and say it...." :JM:

• madferretlady likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users