• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

After the rate of diagnosis of autism surged following the increase in knowledge about he condition, studies are now showing that a plateau has been reached and diagnosis rates are remaining steady.

http://www.bmjopen.b...nt/3/10/e003219

Gareth
  • Feriushenroniue, Frillitle, Sacsovzc and 6 others like this

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

It would be interesting to know if there was an increase in diagnosis of children of 8 up until 2000.

My boys were 12 and 13 when they were diagnosed, and given that many children cope in primary and are only diagnosed at  secondary school age I wonder if it is the number diagnosed when older that is increasing.  

Or is it that we no longer hide differences and are more willing to talk about conditions which affect us and our families which gives the perception that there are more children being diagnosed?

• Sacsovzc, wasiccoo, Yurfapkw and 1 other like this

#3 madferretlady

madferretlady

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:reading, ferrets, weeding - can't really call it gardening, puzzles, staying sane

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

how many familes with children dx with ASD can subsequently point to a parent or other close relative whose "odd" behaviour suddenly makes alot of sense?? I know I can! My husband is very obviously ASD, but never diagnosed. In my opinion it is just that we are now diagnosing what was always there - and thank goodness. Life with an ASD husband can be very difficult at times, but when you have a better understanding of the condition you learn not to take offence at every honest but tactless remark, to not interpret his tendancy not to look at you when you are talking to him as disinterest in you etc etc etc! Also my husband is very brainy but never seems to get anywhere in his job in terms of promotion. He is not good at interviews as he takes time to process questions and answers and can come across as slow - when in reality he is anything but. Feedback from one failed interview mentioned his lack of empathy! - Well, yes! My NT kids laughed when he told us this. 

To get a diagnosis is to be able to arm yourself better with self knowledge.

Edited by madferretlady, 01 November 2013 - 10:28 AM.

• Lizbet, Sacsovzc, wasiccoo and 2 others like this

#4 gingerpig

gingerpig

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

No sh*t sherlock ;)
  • Jolly Roger, Lizbet, Sacsovzc and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users