• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lizbet

Lizbet

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:Reading, photography and surviving the day!!!

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Has anyone else come across this particular issue when their son or daughter turns 16? I applied to my bank for a separate bank account for DS1 to have his DLA paid into when he turns 16 as he has decided he is not ready to deal with all of that himself so asked me to be his advocate. Fair enough, I'm happy to do it, however despite going through an extremely lengthy and tedious application process with my own bank who I have had an account with for 30 years or so, I still haven't heard if I can have the account.

Being somewhat fed up of waiting for approval and in an attempt to cut the waiting time I decided to try other banks. The Post Office don't do bank accounts, the local building society which is owned by a larger national building society will only open one in his name or if I have POA, neither of which apply in this instance as DLA and PIP clearly state that if you are an advocate it must be in your name not your child's.

Eventually I find a bank that has heard of this problem and is willing to open said account however the small branch are short staffed and cant give me an interview for 6 weeks, while the bigger branch can do it a week later. All this to open one current account.

Surely the DWP could issue a list of banks willing to do this service to make life a bit easier......... or not!

Moan over :D

• Frillitle likes this

#2 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

Are you opening it in your name? If so there should be no problem. I can open accounts online in my name.

If you are doing it in your kids name, then as long as you are an apointee or have power of attorney again you dont need to give the bank info your kid just opens an account and you can use it as you are an apointee or have power of attorney.

Some people open a joint account with their kid but most do it the above method.

Maybe there is something I don't know but I know a fair few disabled people via work who have their own accounts in their own name and their parents or even support workers access when helping them with finances.

Failing all the above try Credit Union (most places have local ones) - ours does a "managed account" specially for disabled people.

#3 caci

caci

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I am hoping I have avoided this issue by opening a bank account in our son's name, when he was 14,  with Santander. (11-15 account)

This was all done online.

The account itself is very basic, however, the blurb that came with in implied that at 16, the account can be converted to a "proper" bank account.

Assuming that is true, I will convert it for him, then apply to have my name added to the account (I already bank with Santander, so hopefully this will be straightforward)

Ask me again in 6 months, and I will let you know if this worked ! 

#4 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

I am T's appointee for his DLA . It is paid into my 'normal' bank account . He then has a bank account in his name and a debit card and I transfer a monthly amount to his account by standing order. At present he spends this in about 2 days but then it is gone, school and I are hoping that he will gradually learn to manage this amount and that the responsibility can then be gradually increased !!! He is 16. The bank text a daily balance if the account has been used (for his account) and we have set up that this text comes to my phone , other than that he manages his account.

His account is with NatWest and is an under 18s account so he cannot go overdrawn etc..... At 18 we will be going back to talk about what happens then which is harder but the manager has an autistic son so was very understanding so will cross that bridge when I come to it.

The amount I transfer to him is small....the rest I manage .

Edited by Prosecco Queen, 11 May 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#5 Lizbet

Lizbet

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

DWP paperwork states that if an appointee the account has to be in my name only not a joint account. I cant open an account online with my bank Mozzy as we are existing customers. We did try but they only allow new customers to do that, stupid I know.

Patrick doesn't want his own bank account yet, and that's fine. His new school will work with him on that, and I am happy to do that at his pace. I just cant believe banks are ignorant of this need :( I suppose if I hadn't said anything I could have pulled it off, but I don't believe in doing that. Oh well get it sorted today and hopefully there wont be too long a delay in transferring his money over.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I know to plan ahead if I need to do this again in the future :)

#6 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

How odd of your bank. I am with Lloyds and have been with Nat West and Santander too and with all three I have had the option to open an additional account online. Your bank needs to get with the times LMAO.

Hope it all goes ok

#7 Lizbet

Lizbet

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

Opened an account with Lloyds in less than an hour :)

Sent forms off to DWP too so hopefully its going to get sorted asap.

#8 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

Lizbet

I had our DLA appointee visit yesterday, as our son will be 16 in a couple of months time.

We have arranged for me to continue dealing with the paperwork, and payments for the time being, and this will be reviewed in 3 years time. 

The lady who came here said it was fine for the payments to continue going into the same bank account as they do now (a joint account, me and my husband)

She asked for the bank details again, but confirmed no separate bank account was necessary

I wonder why you were told you need a separate account ?

#9 Lizbet

Lizbet

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Caci sorry not been on for a little while as sorting out schools.

The information regarding seperate accounts was in the paperwork that i had to fill in both DLA and PIP.

We have the lady from DWP coming on the 13th so hopefully it will all be sorted out and made clear then but thanks for that info, very useful :)

#10 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:22 AM

Very weird behaviour for a bank to not provide an additional account for an existing customer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users