Jump to content


Moving From One La/county To Another

ADHD TRANSFER ASD Independant school

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 conker


    Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

My 13 year old son has ASD (High functioning) and ADHD and has been placed in an Independent School that specialised in Autism for the past 3 and half years. He is academic however has not been challenged as much whilst at the independent school, but is very happy socially. As a single parent I had to move 60 miles out of county to afford to live in a suitable home. The independent School has been funded by the previous Local authority and now that we live in a different County I am concerned that they may not be obliged to fund my son to stay at the school.


In our new area there is only one Secondary school and it has 1800 pupils and there is also an Independent special needs school, just 2 miles away, obviously it would be practical for my son to go there.


I am willing to accommodate travel to his current school short term.


I wanted to explore the options of my son staying where he is, as his father still lives in the borough (despite us not living together), however informing the Local authority that my son's medical needs would be managed within our new area. Would this be enough for them to agree for him to stay where he is for a little while longer?


Secondly, my son has been diagnosed and statemented since he was 5 (8 years ago) due to the changes to the EHCP, the previous Local Authority had not transferred his needs. They had planned to do this, this autumn. Preferably we would like my son to go from an Independent school to another. My concern is whether this would also have an impact on his chances of transferring to an Independent school locally.


I am trying to explore the best possible optioned for my son now that we have moved.


Should he stay where he is, 60 miles away, using his dad's details as a connection?


or shall we risk, allowing the new County Council to take control in deciding where my son can be placed locally, despite him not being equipped with an EHCP plan?


Any advice/opinions (positive or negative) would be appreciated. Thank you guys

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

    How many posts? Get a life!

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Whilst he is at the school medial needs will continue to be met as they are now.  To find out more about your new county you need to talk to their staff or parent partnership.  Parents and carers groups may also help, or a local NAS group.  Local info is key to getting the right placement.


If you look on the Ofsted site you may find info on costs on some older inspections, usually at the bottom of the report.  It may be that his current school is less expensive which may make them more willing to keep him there.

  • conker likes this

#3 apricot


    Old as the hills

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Cambridge
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

If he is calm, happy and settled at the current school, and the transport is manageable, then I would leave well alone. 

Even if the new LEA are supportive and reasonable (unlikely), the new independent school is fantastic, everyone co-operates and the whole process is seamless, your son will still have to cope with a change of environment, change of teachers and change of friends. All those changes are very unsettling. 

The more likely scenario is that the new LEA resist placing him in an independent school, there is a huge battle possibly involving SEN tribunal, major stress and your son out of any school while you try to sort it out. 

Possibly look at moving school at a natural break-point e.g. post 16. 

  • imperfect parent and conker like this

#4 conker


    Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Thank you so much for your insight.


Now that school has started, the old authority have let go of the responsibility and put all the responsibility on the new.

The new County has advised that they don't have a like for like provision. My son was placed in a specialist autistic independent school and the new County has advised that they don't cater for autistic pupils in the way, the only option, unless they have "Sever Learning Disabilities" is to place them in a mainstream setting with specialist units attached.


I will need to research, however feel concerned that for the last 4 years my son has not been in a mainstream setting.

However, I am still keen to keep him where he is until a suitable nominated school has been highlighted. The downside is that its a 120 mile in total there and back and approx. 4 hours on public transport. The new county has stated that they can not support with funding for transport as it would need to go to panel, so in the meantime I will need to make do.


All we can do it continue and wait for the new local authority to get in touch, but I will do my research in the meantime.


Thanks again :)

#5 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

    How many posts? Get a life!

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Not sure that your situation is lawful.  Take advice from IPSEA or SOS SEN.  If I've read your post correctly your son is still statemented, and the new authority has to honour that statement until it is amended.  EHCP's muddle the situation, but I believe that statements remain valid until the EHCP is written and so what is in his statement is what he should have.  Currently that is the independent school he is in.  Any changes to placement will come with a right of appeal.

#6 Kadenza


    Under the table

  • The Moderators
  • 4,464 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oh, I don't know. Somewhere around and about.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

^^^ What IP said.  Also, it sounds as though your LEA has admitted to having a "blanket policy", which (the last time I looked, which was a few years ago) is unlawful too.  You may need to remind them of this.

#7 queen claudia

queen claudia

    Part of the furniture

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

Well, about LEAs and blanket policies sorry but it is all bla bla bla because they can do whatever the hell they want. 


You can argue with them until you are blue in the face and get absolutely nowhere. It really doesn't matter that you are right. Forget that!


The only way you can defy them is to get your own legal team. Solicitors and Barrister. Otherwise they will just run rings round you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ADHD, TRANSFER, ASD, Independant school

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users