Photo

You know there is autism in the family when...

1061 replies to this topic

#76 Jill

Jill

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

...... when he eats his soup with his fingers, then wipes his hands on the back of his shirt, so you won't notice

:lol: :lol: This one really struck a chord with me. We've always been impressed when The Boy does this, I mean who would've thought you could eat soup with your fingers before ASD?? :lol: :lol:

P'raps next time I am asked what his special skill is, I should say this!

PS only diff is that The Boy is quite up front and wipes his fingers on the front of his shirt - except once - when he wiped it down his dad's shirt (that WAS funny - the best bit being that DH just sat there looking resigned & let him :lol: )
  • authotourist likes this

#77 pipistrelle

pipistrelle

Embrace the clutter.

• The Moderators
  • 8,920 posts
  • Interests:Trying to sleep!

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

:lol: :lol: This one really struck a chord with me. We've always been impressed when The Boy does this, I mean who would've thought you could eat soup with your fingers before ASD?? :lol: :lol:

P'raps next time I am asked what his special skill is, I should say this!

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: Oh definately.........I dare you to!

A x

#78 PAULYSMUM

PAULYSMUM

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

:hehehe: :hehehe: Thats funny

#79 Busyknitter

Busyknitter

Surprisingly young and trendy

• Admin
  • 7,045 posts
  • Interests:I like: music (all kinds), singing (mainly hardcore choral SATB stuff), knitting, The Bible, apples, extremely long novels from the nineteenth century, Farscape. I don't like: being tired, cycling on ice, skipping meals, feeling patronised as a "special needs" mum, liver.

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

just been enjoying a re-read

You know there is Autism in the family when...

The DVD are in alphabetical order

Doesn't everyone do this anyway? :unsure: :whistle

#80 SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Doushikai Shotokan Karate 7th Kyu Red Belt (although I haven't been back since having my second daughter). Walking everywhere and anywhere. Housework or trying my best to avoid it. Festering on the Internet, chilling with my fellow bad mums and general slobishness.<br /><br />Researching family and social history. The supernatural and ghosts. Comic books, reading and writing my own short stories. The history and culture of modern day and ancient China and Japan. Martial Arts. Nature and animal care. Parrots and reptiles. Collecting many different types of dust and cobwebs and playing guess the funny brown stain on the carpet. Going out and meeting new friends.<br /><br />Interests: Researching family and social history. The supernatural and ghosts. Comic books, reading and writing my own short stories. The history and culture of modern day and ancient China and Japan. Martial Arts. Nature and animal care. Parrots and reptiles. Collecting many different types of dust and cobwebs. Going out and meeting new friends. <br /> <br />Quotes: I thought I worked my butt off, but it followed me home<br /><br />I childproofed my home but they still get in!<br /><br />I have kidnapped myself, give me £10,000,000 or you'll never see me again<br /><br />You can't please all of the people all of the time. Today is not your day, tomorrow isn't looking good either.<br /><br />If in trouble, when in doubt. Run is circles, scream and shout.<br /><br />I wasn't born with enough middle fingers to show you how I'm feeling right now. <br /><br />About Me: What can I say about myself? I really hate filling out these things as I never seem to be very good at it.<br /><br /><br />Well, lets start with name and age first. My name is Mavis, Mavis Screwdit but she wished she hadn't, I am 28 (2 years till 30) and a stay at home mother to two wonderful daughters Anastasia Leanne and Amy Louise Daisy. We live with my husband Vincent in a two bedroom maisonette in the South East of England.<br /><br />Wife, mother, nurse, cook, cleaner, nit picker, laundry woman, nappy changer, zookeeper, hostile situations negotiator, kisser of boo boos, sex goddess, accountant and general bitch er I mean dog's body<br /><br />At the moment we share our home with Missy a Galah Cockatoo, Casper a Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Izzy a Congo African Grey, Shen our black Labrador, Thomas (Satan in furry slippers) our black moggy and Honey and Mustard the Dwarf Lop Rabbits. As you can probably tell we're a family of animals lovers, well okay, just me then!<br /><br />I am an outdoorsy kind of gal enjoying nature but I have been known to enjoy snuggling up warm indoors on a cold winters night with a good book for company and plenty of chocolate to see me through.<br /><br />A fully fledged member of The Bad Mother's Club. www.badmothersclub.co.uk <br />

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

Doesn't everyone do this anyway? :unsure: :whistle

Not as bad as me then, not only are they in alphabetical order here, but I have them in group order too, ie cartoons both feature length and series, children's films, adult films, horror :rolleyes: :whistle

#81 trirt

trirt

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:19 PM

When you have to ask in a restaurant before you sit down if they have round white plates and clear glasses.

You have to eat dinner together and everyone has to make sure their knife doesn't scrape and make a "bad" noise on the plate.

You have to buy a new remote because son1 has eaten it around the edge and son2 can't touch anything son1 has chewed.

The electric cables on the gameboy have teeth marks.

When the most appropriate fridge magnet in a shop says "I know I'm in my own world - it's ok they know me here!"

#82 very tired lady

very tired lady

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

there is a carpet shampoo machine permanently on standby, ready for action at a moment's notice

all of the jars and bottles are kept out of reach

the faint smell of wee never goes away

this is certainly my house.
my mother in law cant wait to tell me my house smells of wee. she thinks i dont do any housework.

#83 Spyro

Spyro

Resident Comedian! Me????

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:29 AM

when your 8 and a half year old son throws himself on the floor screaming and crying in the middle of a public footpath b/c a lil 4yr old child poked her tongue out at him! :unsure:

#84 five

five

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

Absolutely brilliant thread, can so relate to so so many :)

Here's some from our family;

When you have to studiously watch Puzzle Play after he has gone to school, and dutifully report the puzzle pieces on school pick up

When you canít go past the deli department in the supermarket without your child reading every single number from every single price ticket

When you find yourself checking the weekly PECS schedule on the fridge so you know whatís happening today

You can recite the names, abilities and alliance of every Transformer known to mankind (and before Transformers it was Thomas the Tank & friends)

Similarly, you find yourself humming the Transformers theme song when said child is at school, because you are so used to hearing nothing but that

#85 Twinkle

Twinkle

LEA Slayer

• The Moderators
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

You have to buy a new remote because son1 has eaten it around the edge

That one I can relate to oh so much. Hubby is off to buy two new remote controls today. I just do not know how to stop this one. :rolleyes: :blink:

#86 PAULYSMUM

PAULYSMUM

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

That one I can relate to oh so much. Hubby is off to buy two new remote controls today. I just do not know how to stop this one. :rolleyes: :blink:

Us too we have gone through absolutely loads of sky remotes and he is still doing it :rolleyes:

#87 fatcat

fatcat

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

Oh my God......yes A.T does this, It drives me mad

Lisa xx

#88 pipistrelle

pipistrelle

Embrace the clutter.

• The Moderators
  • 8,920 posts
  • Interests:Trying to sleep!

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:54 PM

When lil bat was chewing everything (plastic animals in particular) I resorted to "stop'n'grow" :devilred: Seemed to do the trick!

Had a little relapse a couple of weeks ago so cracked open the bottle again :gareth

She likes to put the whole object in her mouth which is lovely for inducing choking and scaring mummy!

A x

#89 Jill

Jill

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

When you are used to your child saying the same thing over & over, whilst walking nearer and nearer and realise you are going to have to repeat their words back to them (verbatim) because it's the only way to get them to stop pressing their face against yours.

Every hard surface in the house has lick marks.

No plants in the garden have any leaves left - they're all in the house cos they're good for "flapping".

When it's perfectly normal to have a running commentary every time you go to the loo - very loudly & very specific, because of course everyone in the house needs to know that "mummy's having a poo".

#90 bercol1

bercol1

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:52 PM

When you have to set the table twice each night.

Once with plastic plates so your son can pull the table cloth and reinact a scene from pingu and then set it again for dinner.

B

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users