4 replies to this topic

#1 maximus prime

maximus prime

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

Lucy is currently refusing to do PE. I am trying to address this, the PE teacher wants it sorting yesterday. It's absolutely ridiculous and she doesn't grasp that any sign of a push from her means a step back from Lucy. 

So at present I pack Lucy's kit and leave it by the door and then she chooses whether or not she will take it. A fortnight later the PE teacher wants the kit in school. I say I will talk to Lucy about whether she feels comfortable with that. PE teacher says no need to speak to Lucy she still gets the choice if the kit is in school. I say that nothing is done behind Lucy's back because it breaks the trust she has in me and what's more it makes me doubt that I can trust you as well :angry: .

Phoned her today to say there will be no kit in school as Lucy isn't comfortable with the idea and so she says she will phone in a fortnight to see how far forward we have got. I explain again that it has to be at Lucy's pace, a fortnight is no time at all I have waited three months at times for progress and occasionally even longer :rolleyes: .

She tells me how eager she is for Lucy to do PE. I ask if she is always so eager and enthusiastic sounding and she says yes so I explain that Lucy will hate it and her talking so fast will be very difficult for Lucy when she has a processing problem and so her approach might just be adding to Lucy's reluctance  :whistle .

She says she will phone again in a fortnight  :wall

So different from the approach of Jack's unit who waited a whole year for him to put on his trainers and stand in PE lesson for 20 minutes but then celebrated when he chose to take part in PE 80% of the time further up the school. So different from SH who stood at a bus stop three times a week for a whole term waiting for Jack to choose to take the option of getting on the bus and now he travels independently.

Will write to SENCo if she phones in a fortnight and explain to her what she needs to explain to PE teacher because I'm trying to avoid school refusal and this pressured approach is a sure fire way to trigger it. 

• Eggman likes this

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

I'm with you on this.  I've had similar problems in the past, and those  that try to hurry the process are the ones who have little success. Even DS has learnt to recognise that it's futile to put on pressure :yahoo: It's taken him a bit of time.

• maximus prime likes this

#3 maximus prime

maximus prime

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:09 AM

Well avoided a refusal by the skin of my teeth today. Have asked SENCo to call me, wrote in the communication book that the school need to back off the subject of PE altogether because she isn't going to go in next week if she gets a hint of any persuasion today.

Do you think schools think our kids are stupid? Why on earth wouldn't Lucy suspect that the school are trying to get her in PE if they send her down to PE to "bump into the PE teacher"? FGS primary were far more resourceful at "engineering meetings" when Lucy was on her home turf and surrounded by people she knew and trusted.   

• Eggman likes this

#4 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

They are bloody idiots MP but you are there to show them the way!

• maximus prime likes this

#5 maximus prime

maximus prime

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Well I got my message across anyway. We are having a meeting with head of PE rather than PE teacher so that I can enlighten him as to how Lucy works. Lucy has done nothing connected to PE but has struggled today because of the stress this morning. Hopefully though I can use this to illustrate how being put under pressure has a knock on effect throughout the day.

I said I could ask her paed to sign her off PE indefinitely if needed because he would without a shadow of a doubt but the SENCo doesn't think it necessary so it seems she doesn't want another battle with me anyway anyway :gareth .

• Eggman, goinginsane, imperfect parent and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users