51 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 26 December 2004 - 07:31 PM

A few people have offered donations to help the running costs of the site. G and I are more than happy to keep paying for the place, and no matter what happens ASDfriendly will stay open for everyone to use free of charge.

For those of you curious about costs, in September we paid 99 for a year's hosting (this should reduce next year as we were overly cautious about bandwidth and could have gone for a cheaper plan)
It also costs us about 15 each year to renew the asdfriendly.org domain name. We pay about $75 for forum support and upgrades, and are looking at improving the chat software we use.

Those are the basic site costs. All of the software on the site we've used so far has been completely free.

This site is strictly not for profit. No one will ever make a financial gain out of this site. Any money we accept in donations will be ploughed straight back into the site: either to pay for hosting costs, or to improve/upgrade the software we use for the forums or the chatroom. Any remaining funds will be donated to the National Autistic Society. No money will be retained by us, and we'll make sure we publish a set of accounts each year so you can see where the money has been spent.

We don't expect anyone to feel like they ought to make a donation. There is no obligation to pay a penny. However, if you would like to, then you could send money by Paypal to the link on our pages, or if you'd prefer to send us a cheque, please PM or email us for an address.

Thank you all :)

#2 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:42 AM

Just to keep you updated on the money front:

We've had total donations as of this morning of 45, which has covered the upgrade to the forums and leaves a little bit left over. Hopefully this plus any future donations will help to upgrade Bar ASD soon.

Thank you very much! I'm having great fun fiddling with the new forums, but I really think Gareth needs a warning system all of his own! Hope you're enjoying the new features too.

#3 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 11:55 AM

I really think Gareth needs a warning system all of his own!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

anytime you want to discipline me is fine... :whistle

#4 Rogue

Rogue

welcome to the meltdown bar !!!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Reading , Drawing , wrighting , but most definately not house work !!

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:54 PM

my donation is on its way also to you got a bit behind with Amy being poorly and all :whistle

#5 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:14 AM

Had another 40 donated by a few people (you know who you are) - thanks very much!

Will be spending that on upgrading the chatroom in the near future to the one we tested out earlier this month. Hope that's ok with everyone. If there's something you'd prefer to do with the instead, please suggest away.

Michaela :excellent :excellent

#6 Twinkle

Twinkle

LEA Slayer

• The Moderators
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:46 PM

I am so chuffed with my blog! Thank you so much Michaela. :excellent :applaud

I think that definitely deserves a donation!!! :D

It won't be coming from me personally, my bank balance would shudder at the thought :blush: so I will get it done via the Company - good for tax purposes!

#7 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 06:56 AM

It wasn't any problem. Once you've done the first one, they're really quick to set up!

And it doesn't cost us a penny either. The software for it was free and we've lots of extra bandwidth we're not using, so it just comes out of there.

Glad you're enjoying it though :applaud

#8 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

I've just had my confirmation of a place in the 2006 London Marathon, on Sunday 23rd April.

Mic & I have had a chat about it, and we've agreed that I'll ask people to sponsor me to raise funds to pay for this place. (Might be worth thinking about registering ASDf as a charity - what do you lot think?)

Anyway, as you know, I'm a pathetic old git who is not allowed to run any more because I knackered my knees. So I'll walk the Marathon with a t-shirt explaining to everyone why I can't run, and explaining what ASDf is all about. My target is to finish in 6 hours. (I did the Great North Run half-marathon in a smidgen under 3 hours.)

#9 Busyknitter

Busyknitter

Surprisingly young and trendy

• Admin
  • 7,045 posts
  • Interests:I like: music (all kinds), singing (mainly hardcore choral SATB stuff), knitting, The Bible, apples, extremely long novels from the nineteenth century, Farscape. I don't like: being tired, cycling on ice, skipping meals, feeling patronised as a "special needs" mum, liver.

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

Go Gareth Go! :excellent

Didn't we have the discussion about ASDF becoming a charity a while back and come to a consensus that it wasn't worth the administrative hassle? Might be time to have another think though. If you manage to raise more than 1,000 for ASDF in the marathon, it may well become compulsory.

I've had a quick scan at the Charities' Commission Guide to registering a charity and FAQ

There's all sorts of forms to fill in and stuff to do, but the first important issue as far as I can tell is for us to agree what we think ASDF is actually for and whether that qualifies as a charitable purpose.

BK

#10 Helenllama

Helenllama

Football Crazy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Interests:too much to fit here

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:26 PM

Gareth.

I WILL sponsor you.

Somehow I will make sure I have enough money to sponsor you!

#11 Jasmine

Jasmine

8 massive gins and a shag

• Admin
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

Me too G :D

Think it's fantastic. I'm dead proud to be a member of ASDF :applaud

#12 Faz

Faz

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:50 PM

Count me in too, I love asd friendly :wub:

And I have huge respect for anyone who can run, walk or even crawl 25 miles

Faz
xxx

#13 Busyknitter

Busyknitter

Surprisingly young and trendy

• Admin
  • 7,045 posts
  • Interests:I like: music (all kinds), singing (mainly hardcore choral SATB stuff), knitting, The Bible, apples, extremely long novels from the nineteenth century, Farscape. I don't like: being tired, cycling on ice, skipping meals, feeling patronised as a "special needs" mum, liver.

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:25 AM

Just re-read my last post and reckon my brain must have been still at work when I wrote that. What I forgot to add was that though setting up a charity could be a lot of work, I can't think of anything right now that I'd rather put my time and effort into. You guys have been such a support to me and the family over the past year. Like Jasmine said, I'm dead proud to be a member of ASDF :)

BK

#14 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:27 AM

Mic & I are inclined to go for it, but...

...we haven't a clue what it involves!

#15 cas

cas

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:58 AM

is there anything like sure start or parenting 2000 in your area they have advisors.

I know someone advised us to go down this route and apply to the community chest. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users