9 replies to this topic

#1 LauraJ-B

LauraJ-B

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

Sam's got a scrape on his ankle bone (think caused during one of his meltdowns), his shoes are obviously causing some discomfort as he is limping a little on that side when he has his shoes on. Problem is he won't let me put a plaster on it to stop the shoe from catching the scrape and rubbing. We tried on Saturday and it took the two of us to get a tiny plaster on then quickly put his socks and shoes on. You would think we'd actually rubbed salt into it as the limp went dramatically worse! He removed the plaster himself later in the day.

We'd forgotten that when he has a plaster on it renders whatever it is stuck to unusable. Last year when he came round from GA in the hospital and discovered plasters on both his hands from the canula he physically wouldn't use his hands until they were removed (had to hand feed him his snacks and drink until they were off!). 

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a plaster on him and him to be alright with it? I presented him with one this morning to see if he'd accept it. He looked horrified, quickly snatched the plaster out of my hand and threw it behind a cabinet so that I couldn't get to it again. Then watched me very carefully just in case I produced another one!! 

#2 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

Have you tried the spray on plaster? It dries to a transparent plastic film. DS tolerates this when he won't tolerate normal plasters. The spray is cold and a bit tingly while it dries. He could try it on a bit of normal skin first to see how he finds it. 

#3 LauraJ-B

LauraJ-B

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:16 AM

Thank you, we've not tried the spray on plaster before, I was never quite sure how it worked! Think I will pop into Asda on the way to school later and see what they've got and probably try it on myself first.  I had hoped when we put the little plaster on him on Saturday that he'd immediately notice that his shoe wasn't rubbing and hurting but it seemed like the plaster became more of a deal than the original scrape!  :blink:

#4 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

We used to have the same issue with LE he refused to wear them and would have a terrible time trying to get him to use one!

#5 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

Is it worth trying a plaster on a non-injured part, and then draw a face on it ? (I assume you have worked your way through the numerous versions of picture plasters )

If that doesn't work, maybe a bit of micropore tape over a melolin pad would be acceptable to him.?

#6 LauraJ-B

LauraJ-B

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

We have a few versions Caci! He's not having any of it! Might see what he does if I put one on myself though. I like the idea of taping a pad over it. I did try some cotton wool down his sock this morning but he looked at me as if I were mad then pulled it out. 

#7 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, exercising.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

Would putting the plaster on the shoe work at all - just I've heard you can do this successfully for blisters on your heel to stop them rubbing?

Obviously not a help for other areas but thought it was worth a mention x

#8 sonia07

sonia07

Bookworm

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:When I get time I like to listen to my music, read and watch movies. And if i am very lucky to get a babysitter go out with the GIRLS!!!!

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:52 AM

J is the same, we just have to try and keep cleaning up and bleeding has it comes. If it's something that is hurting him he won't wear shoes , sometimes I put his canvas shoes n depending on where it hurts. Is there any alternative footwear he could wear that don't catch where it hurts???

#9 Maverick

Maverick

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

It could be sensory. Cant bear the feel of the plaster on his skin. Maybe use a bandage instead or use a vibrating massager around the wound where the plaster will stick to desensitize the skin first. He could do this himself and feel more in control.

Edited by Maverick, 21 May 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#10 LauraJ-B

LauraJ-B

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the replies, sorry I'm late coming back to this! 

He won't let me near him with a wipe or to have an up close look at the wound either although am happy to try a bandage next time something like this occurs or maybe try and give him the wipe to clean it himself if he can work out what I'm asking. 

Both his school shoes and his running trainers were the ones we were trying to get on him so alternatives wouldn't have been possible at the time. Obviously don't make him wear anything when we're at home. 

The plaster on the shoe would have been a really good idea, can't believe I hadn't thought of that!! Just enough to stop the scratching the bottom of the cut. 

• Tangled likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users