2 replies to this topic

#1 Vodkalass

Vodkalass

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

Hiya, Not sure if this is on the right thread but had T's independant psychological report and it was very indepth. A lot to take in & I really don't know how to process all that has been written. He has been out of education since December (whole different thread for that)

First & foremost he has said  "that a diagnosis of conduct or oppositional defiant disorder may be appropriate though T's primary diagnosis of Autism impacts markedly on the presentation of these other marked behavioural & emotional challenges that he manifests" Is he saying this is a dual diagnosis?

I really don't know how to handle this because I have no idea where to look for info & how to cope with all this.

If anyone has any advice or experience in conduct/ODD please get in touch because I really do feel even more isolated & alone.

#2 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

Have a little look at PDA as well.  I don't know much about ODD.  My daughter has PDA, and the presentation can be similar.  PDA is part of the autism spectrum, ODD is not.  Pathological Demand Avoidance is a case of "can't help won't", so the refusals are anxiety based, and a need to avoid perceived demands in order to feel more in control.  I believe (though may be entirely wrong) that ODD is more about the need to be oppositional.  There are definite overlaps, but it is the root of the conditions that defines them.  - Hope that makes some sense!  PDA is not universally recognised, so professionals can miss it and diagnose ODD in error.

#3 Vodkalass

Vodkalass

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Have a little look at PDA as well.  I don't know much about ODD.  My daughter has PDA, and the presentation can be similar.  PDA is part of the autism spectrum, ODD is not.  Pathological Demand Avoidance is a case of "can't help won't", so the refusals are anxiety based, and a need to avoid perceived demands in order to feel more in control.  I believe (though may be entirely wrong) that ODD is more about the need to be oppositional.  There are definite overlaps, but it is the root of the conditions that defines them.  - Hope that makes some sense!  PDA is not universally recognised, so professionals can miss it and diagnose ODD in error.

Thanks Kadenza, have had a look into PDA and he fits into that criteria also. The overriding factor about ODD is the violence & threats of violence "going to stab you in the eye in your sleep" after an episode more often than not he can't remember what has happened. He will only go out if we say we will go to Smyths or CEX after we do what we need to do but when he gets there he is so overwhelmed that it inevitably goes wrong. The questionaire that the headteacher & I did was almost exactly the same & considering he hasn't been there for 3 months I was amazed by it. All that matters to him are is gaming devices & his powerpoints as long as he has them nothing else matters. Don't know where to turn to next

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users