#1 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hi

Just returned from meeting with school and it was really positive, L is doing really well, settling in good, positive interactions and no anxiety being displayed. Yeah good lad.

Ls coping really well just now school and home. It does help that I've been off work for the past two months, he's sleeping better aswell.

They're willing to work with us even though there is nothing to report and will finally compliete his action plan to include visual timetables etc, movement breaks, to be aware of change and busy situations that loose his focus aware that he does suffer anxiety and what that might look like. So I'm really pleased.

I don't want to take away from that but I'm quite annoyed with the last learning support teacher who not only didn't write up his action plan for 4 months before they broke off for the summer holidays. Then I found out Wrote an email to the paediatrician and I wasn't made aware it had been done. I have know idea what the report said. I'm aware that I'm probably not entitled to know but still an email to say she'd contacted them would have been nice.

I know the paediatrician wanted the school to look further and assess and send her a report but I get the feeling that it was just based on her initial assessment of L which was certainly not along the lines off Asd, and I know the school report Logan's social skills and interactions with peers to be good that he's a confident sociable wee boy. I don't see it quite that way. At least the Action plan will get done now and I know what will be going in it, even if they did pack peddle when I mentioned the time frame.

I'm glad he's doing really well at school, I'm really proud off him but now I'm left doubting what I'm seeing and if I'm seeing anything at all because the teachers say he's behaving so well and because of the last learning support teacher not really supporting what I was thinking and now she's sent a report.

Is itnormal to doubt yourself like this? I don't want to make it into a negative.

I see an issue socially with peers and to outsiders he does appear confident but to me it's an over confidence where he'll go straight in there and play regardless. He can't share his toys very well with his friends and likes to play with his Lego regardless if they want to or not, he also has to be the leader of the group not in a bullying way and he talks off bullying by people I believe he doesn't understand the rules or concept of friendships. Then of course his anxiety and all the other wee things they have recognised and his inability to handle humour if he thinks your directing it at him, he hates the feeling of embarrassment and also at times confuses literal thinking. Not to mention his maturity for his years and formal way of speaking filling spaces with actually and technically. He's only 7.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if the peadetrition wants to move forward, I can't see it because I don't think the school are thinking Asd. Feeling a bit strange about what was a very positive meeting x

#2 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

Hi Tracky2

I'm really glad your meeting went well.

I think it is normal to doubt yourself, especially when other people can't see what you see. I also had people around me for years saying things like "he'll grow out of it when...(e.g. he starts school)", "it's a phase", "so and so is just the same" etc. I started to think I just wasn't coping. It took dd's perceptive health visitor to refer him (age 9).

Our primary school could not see anything either (although SALT definitely could when she worked with him). Our old HT thought the problems we experienced at home were down to our parenting (and kept that opinion even years after diagnosis - I think staff training on ASD only happened very recently). Also, so many children "hold it together" at school.

May be keep a diary? It certainly helped me to realise things were different for us. It also helped when meeting professionals.

Really glad things have been good.

#3 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:59 AM

Thanks bluewater, it's all such a mind field off feelings, each meeting sparks a new phase.

I was wondering should I have been entitled to see the school report before it was sent to the peadetrition by the learning support teacher and are they the normal professionals to do the school assessments. I wasn't fond off her so I'm not convinced she helped the cause.

How long then does it take from here till the next appointment with paediatrician to determine what route they decide to take in your opinion? It's been a year getting to this point. I'm assuming another year .

I'm now questioning by 5 year old Dd although I don't think I'm looking at Asd as she can play imaginatively with dolls etc and appears to have friendships but she's over sensitive to noise and smell, won't wear certain textures, has developed anxiety like her brother and can not regulate her emotions as she cries at everything, aswell as having the need to have things in her mouth especially when anxious. She has attachment anxiety and struggles with going different routes and hates getting her hair brushed or face washed. Not sure what I'm looking at if anything as it could just be her age. She's really struggling to settle at school as she struggles with eating anywhere the teacher is concerned because she won't eat, think we've now managed to eat 4 grapes and a couple of hula hoops, she won't look at eating anything else.

Parenting is such a mind field.

DS might grow out of it I guess when she gets maturer .

#4 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:04 PM

Hi there with regards to dd you can have sensory issues without the whole ASD thing so maybe this is what is going on?

With the reports if paed wanted school to send report then you may not see it although I would have thought it is good practice that you do.

If that was me I would be annoyed and want to see report in fact I think it is very important that you do so you can prepare counter arguments in advance if need be.

I would not have a report floating around out there about my child that I hadn't seen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users