#1 emmamoo

emmamoo

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Interests:Cake.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

Just seen this on yahoo. I shan't rant but I am so cross about this cure thing. *zips mouth*

Autism Cure Advert Banned

:censored

#2 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

:censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoyed at having these "cures" etc being blahed about all over the place I think it is discusting to imply that you can be cured of this, you cant, wish these discusting people who are usually charging exorbidant prices for their "help" and "expertise" would :censored off, if they can cure it why isnt it widely availiable and why the nhs etc using it. :censored :censored :censored

Edited by miami girl, 03 March 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#3 emmamoo

emmamoo

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

Yay I think you said it all for me. It seems to be mainly in America where this cure is seen as the way forward. Stupid isn't it.

#4 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

:censored infuriates me reading and listening to this sort of thing.

When i first got the dx for littlun I was googling and looking around various sites. There was one to do with this :censored head, and i didnt know anything about them, I clicked on the link and it basically said that I had made the first step to "curing" my son, and another load of twot, then was working out that they wanted so much money for this cure.

What really angers and scares me, is that I was lucky in the fact that I had been on here a few months before I got littluns dx, and found out pretty quickly that he could never be cured, but how many parents have just found that site and implorable person, straight after a dx, when you feel like your hearts been ripped out and they are given this false sense of hope which any parent would want to with all their heart believe in, spending thousands of pounds for absolutely nothing, and when it becomes apparant that your child isnt going to be cured you have to go throught the whole grieving process again.

You shouldnt be able to spurt that sort of :censored about and get away with it.

Sorry for the rant but it makes me sooooooooooooooo angry.

#5 emmamoo

emmamoo

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

No, rant away MG, I mean we all feel the same way about it don't we. WE know that our children can't be cured. The Americans seem to see autism like a bout of flu or something don't they?

#6 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

It's very upsetting.

I am just relieved that I didn't see any 'cures' when I was at my most vunlerable trying to come to terms with James' life-long condition.

#7 emmamoo

emmamoo

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

Love to see GOM's reaction to this. He always has something to say about stuff like this.

I think what irks me about the whole 'cure' is that it gives false hope. I regrettably raised money for a chairy thinking they were like the NAS but they were all for biomedical research which to be honest I think is a load of pish. Ok, for finding out causes but not for finding cures. I think if someone tries to find a cure, they'll be in for a very heavy fall back to reality because we just can't change what we've got to deal with. And for me, having the knowledge that my child is the way he is, is enough for me to be happy, why would I want to change him? Know what I mean 'arry?

#8 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thats exactly what I mean,

I been on here since the end of May, and didnt get the dx until the end of sept, and luckily I managed to get a lot of help and insight from the parents on here, first and found out very quickly that my son wont be rainman or cured no matter what I do, all I can do is help him to be the best that he can be.

But there must be thousands of parents who get the dx, and go searching on the net, to find out about as/asd or cures or whatever, when they are at their most vunerable and already feel like they had their hearts ripped out of themselves, and want to believe more than anything that either the dx is wrong and is anything but, or that they can cure their child.

To be that desperate to help your child is a very natuaral feeling and they prey on these feelings and love as a parent, and for that I can never forgive these types of people, they are one of the lowest of the low.

And to make matters worse there is no legislation or bill or law to stop these deplorable people preying on the greiving parents or to not spout these evil lies.

#9 emmamoo

emmamoo

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

Funny innit. You can't cure Dyslexia. You can't cure Downs Syndrome. You can't cure Parkinsons.

I think that Jenny McCarthy has been brainwashed. Classic example of what these people do to parents. I'm not excusing her moronic attempts to get herself back in the media but from reading her book she was determined to find a cure - but why? Was her son not just perfect the way he was?

#10 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

To be fair I think a lot of parents would want a cure to a point, in the fact that life is hard for someone with as/asd and obviously if they didnt have it, life would be easier.

I understand she and others want to find a cure, but you cant, and these evil scum going lying and preying on vunerable parents, and there is no excuse for it.

How can they stand there and spout s*** to loads of people blatently lying to their faces and taking thousands of pounds of them.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR still so angry.

#11 emmamoo

emmamoo

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Yes, sorry I didn't mean to sound like no one wants to find one. I think my description was rubbish. Hope I not offended.

#12 The Boydunwell

The Boydunwell

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

I'm gonna be careful what I say here 'cos Miami Girl's a good pal.

I am certainly not in agreement with false claims, marketing ploys targeting distressed parents' hopes, and all other such twaddle.
And yes, quite right, it is disgusting.

Unfortunately, in this age of internet (and you can see this in any area / sector / industry which has an internet presence as part of its business-to-consumer
advertising/marketing strategy) this sort of marketing becomes par for the course, and can spill over into other media (as in this case). There is almost a sense in which this has
become an inevitable part our individual exposure to the mass marketing that internet supports, as businesses compete to differentiate themselves
from the 'others' in what becomes a very confusing and very crowded market place.

That still does not excuse the sort of exploitation of people's hopes that this kind of marketing can imply....so just to be clear...I am not supporting that at all.

But, as a consequence of this phenomena, as consumers generally, and as Parents of asd kids in particular, I think it means we need to concentrate much more on the content of what is being
peddled, advertised, pushed etc. etc. and really try and ignore the big headline message. I say this because in some cases, dismissing the 'content' of what is
being advertised, due to the objectionable marketing method of the advertisement itself, means you can throw the baby out with the bathwater...and that can
be a shame, as I think it is in this particular case.

(BTW...the birth of the Son-Rise program, developed in the 1970's by two parents of an autistic child, occurred in a very different environment to today, when pretty much
most of the messages being directed by the educational and psychological authorities to parents of autistic kids were dispairing ones: no hope, its an institutional life for your
child I'm afraid, they will never speak, they will never interact, sorry but your child is a living vegetable, they will never recognise you as their parent, their mum, their dad etc. etc.)

There is no scientific proof that says Autism can be 'cured' - and, equally, no scientific proof that it can NOT be 'cured'......I realised this quite a long time ago
and so decided not to bother with the issue, until something more tangible comes out of the scientific community. But that does not mean I gave up looking for
methods or principles which I consider could be helpful for Pablo to make progress.

That's how I came across SonRise myself...and, although my immediate reaction was: Oh My God...an American HardSell machine! and I read all the gooey,
'impossible to verify' testimonials from parents, and got completely frustrated at not being able to find actual details of the program itself...until eventually I decided
I would go to one of the courses - a week long series of lectures/exercises etc. in London - just so I could, once and for all, dismiss this stuff, based upon something more
concrete than detesting their marketing machine.

To my complete surprise, instead of walking away from the course, washing my hands of the entire thing and saying "At last, now I know why this is crap and I know there is nothing
behind these advertisements" I walked away thinking "So much of this makes absolute sense, its such a refreshing alternative to the ABA I have been saturating myself in, and its given
me some clues about how to interact a bit differently with Pablo and which seems so completely common sense, rational, and human"..." AND what's more, no obligatory need to buy
anything (no wonder drugs, medication, diets, treatment, professionals, authorities." It is a lot of time and effort, however.

So in this case....the Bathwater is certainly filthy...but the Baby is pretty healthy and worth holding onto.

Pablo is currently in school and I am running a program with the teachers, assistants, educators, speech therapists, where I am pushing some of the basic (so basic you would laugh...but
often forgotten by heavily diploma'd medical, educational and psychological professionals) SonRise principles, and all concentrating on a few short term objectives...so he is getting coherent
interaction from all environments, then meeting up, reviewing and modifying, as appropriate, our, and his, objectives for the next time. Its only in its infancy as a project (and structurally nothing to
do with a true SonRise program which recommends doing this entirely at home with parents and volunteers), but there are sufficient encouraging early signs which mean I will stick at it
for the moment.

Will Pablo be cured....who knows? do I need to know?....No. Its sufficient for me that I can see positive effects on him and his development, and that it makes him happy....and so long as this is
the case I will go with it (whatever it is).

Am I a deluded exploited parent? I don't think so.
Yes, I shelled out (like a mug) for the initial course...but only because I couldn't get a grant from the Caudwell Children charity because I'm not a UK resident parent.
Will I shell out for more courses and materials? No...I doubt it...I don't have the budget. But I do get free sessions with a SonRise educator/counsellor on the phone and,
finally, I'm glad to see that on the SonRise web site they have finally decided to put out much more detail about their methods than was available when I first logged onto
the site, in the form of free videos, lectures etc. from some of the organisation's key people.

And just to repeat again.....Miami Girl and emmamoo - I do entirely agree with your sentiments! I wish they would advertise themselves in a different way.

#13 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

Yes, sorry I didn't mean to sound like no one wants to find one. I think my description was rubbish. Hope I not offended.

No worries Hon I knew exactly what you meant and certainly no offense taken.

Awwwwwwwww bless you TBDW, how sweet of you to say.

Its the exploition of certain things that I cant abide, sorry probally ranted a bit too much but it makes me very angry with some of the methods.

#14 Jasmine

Jasmine

8 massive gins and a shag

• Admin
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

I heard that there was insufficient proof that Raun Kaufmann was actually autistic and that it was possible he was dx'd wrong and that is why he seems to be' cured' today.

I have NO idea if that is true or not but with Jenny McCarthy now saying her son didn't have autism afterall it does make you wonder?

#15 emmamoo

emmamoo

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

Yes I think so too MG, the way in which they conduct themselves should be scutinised more than it is. For example, (I know this is completely different but) Aptamil formula milk was forced to take down their advert because they claimed that their brand was the 'closest thing to beast milk' with no scientific evidence. blimey thats all I can come up with as an example. Pfffff I'm wearing my poor pregnant brain out today. :whistle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users