Pip Eye Sight Deterioration

2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeanne

Jeanne

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:cooking. especially baking cakes, listening to music, surfing the net, gardening.

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

My son's eye sight has changed, he is now blind in one eye and has very little sight in the other, which will continue to deteriorate.  The social worker told me to ask for his DLA mobility to be looked at again as he's on the lower rate and needs the higher rate.  He is currently in a mental health hospital but will be going into independent living in the near future and will need a mobility car.  I rang DLA who told me they would inform PIP who would then send a letter out to me which will take around 10 days, which will tell me to ring them.  I would appreciate if anyone knows how long this whole process will take?

#2 caci

caci

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

So sorry to hear about Glen's sight.

I haven't negotiated the PIP minefield yet, but from speaking to others, I know the form is a similar length to the DLA one (LONG) and you only get 28 days to fill it in and return it (and that clock starts ticking from when you ring up for the form, not when you get it)

You can ask for an extension, and I believe you are allowed an extra 14 days, but that is still not very long compared to DLA where you had around 5 months.

Once the form has been filled in and returned, the wait for a face-to-face assessment, or decision to to made based on the paperwork seems to vary greatly from a few weeks to a few months.

Hopefully others will reply and let you know how long their wait was in different parts if the country

Fingers crossed you don't have to wait too long x

#3 Jeanne

Jeanne

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:cooking. especially baking cakes, listening to music, surfing the net, gardening.

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:11 AM

Hi, thank you so much for your reply it gives me an idea of what to expect.  I have already told Glen's social worker that it will take some time before I get an actual decision so she has been warned!   We live in Essex.  Hope you and your family are well.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users