#1 Tbelle333

Tbelle333

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

Hello!
I'm new here and have seen others ask about schools for bright kids with sensory/ASD behaviours but all the replies have been PM'd. I'm guessing directly naming schools is discouraged, but I was hoping for some thoughts on the subject. We are in the Hampshire/Surrey/West Sussex area. My son is in Y6, very bright but anxious about everything and sensory issues as well. Would be so grateful for any thoughts. Thank you!

#2 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hi there. I am happy to name my son's school. He goes to More House School in Surrey. It is specifically aimed at children who have a learning difficulty but are bright.

They are quite picky who they take and when my son started in Year 7 (he is now in Year 9) we had quite a lot of hoops to jump through before they offered him a place.

I will PM you more information. 

#3 Tbelle333

Tbelle333

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:22 PM

Thank you! This is one of the schools that was mentioned to me by our current placement. I have heard mixed things, including the pickiness you mentioned and I can't seem to move past the idea of getting my son with sensory issues to wear a tie and long sleeves... I will look forward to your PM and I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
Best wishes!
  • queen claudia likes this

#4 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 19 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

Your son sounds so much like mine lol.

We still have problems with him wearing long sleeves although for some reason he will wear his school shirt but no other long sleeved tops! I guess it's because he know he has too!

He doesn't like the tie either but just about manages to tolerate it.

I think they are pretty flexible though at the school so if uniform is a huge issue you could always discuss it with them.

I know for instance that in the information about uniform they send out they say 'lace up shoes' and I spent the whole of the summer term teaching my son to tie his shoe laces only to discover there are loads of kids there who wear Velcro shoes.

My son also totally refuses to wear the school jumper or blazer and the only time he will wear it is when he gets his photo taken when the school insist they wear it.

As I said in my PM if you have any more question will be happy to answer them :)

• miami girl likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users