#1 Sarah

Sarah

The Technical Technophobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 07:47 PM

POPULAR

Having a child with special needs does help to put things in perspective.

Exam results and swimming certificates - pah! We special parents know what things are really important in life, so this thread is for us to share our special children's special achievements with others who will celebrate with us. :excellent

Here goes -

DS's hair was in urgent need of a spring clean before he goes back to school tomorrow. As he climbed into the bath I told him I would be washing his hair tonight. I braced myself for a wetting. :unsure:

"OK, Mum"

Gulp. "Would you like strawberry or banana shampoo?" (Usual response "NOTHING!")

Eyes bottles on windowsill. "Ip dip sky blue it will be you. Banana please, Mum"

Mum procedes to wash hair. Child makes not one murmur of protest.

"I love having my hair washed, Mum. I didn't like it yesterday (everything in the past happened yesterday) but I love it today".

My little angel :angel :applaud
  • speeffirm, GoraNaxyGloli, Louise_F and 291 others like this

#2 allie kiwi

allie kiwi

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:Autism, Allergies, Writing, Singing, Cooking, Reading.

Posted 28 April 2003 - 04:32 AM

That's wonderful, Sarah! :D These little things that make life not so stressful, or that we can get a smile out of are worth far more than a mouldy old certificate!

Love the "Ip dip sky blue it will be you." I've never heard that before - is it a Tim-ism?

Allie
  • assobiaBoow, Waimigeada, jaquelineba and 7 others like this

#3 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:25 AM

Hi Aliie :D
I think he must have picked it up from school. I've heard it before, though not from him!
He certainly has the ability to make me laugh and has a wicked sense of humour (which I don't think ASD children are supposed to have!!)

It's class photographs today at school. If he cooperates with that it'll be a miracle!!

How is young Toad today?

Sarah :)
  • jaquelineba, Jiraffe, Sacsovzc and 2 others like this

#4 allie kiwi

allie kiwi

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 10:04 AM

Young master Toad is very well today!

The best thing was that Teacher Aid #6 began work with not a sign of imminent departure. :excellent I stayed at kindy for about 15 minutes and then she said - 'you can go home now if you like.' I got all weepy in the car on the way home - it just felt such a relief and so wonderful to know that he was safe and happy and I wasn't obliged to stay the whole session. I feel like doing something like. :drunk

On Thursday, the GSE lady, plus the speach therapist, are comnig along to meet with T.A., so I do have to stay that session, but I'm not worried - this is all great!

And actually, Toadly's speach is coming along in leaps and bounds - he's picking up new words almost daily, it seems. Repeated 1001 times over and over and over again gets on my nerves a bit, but we're so lucky that he is saying anything much at all. :D

Allie

bouncing off a few walls in excitement
  • Jiraffe, Sacsovzc, wasiccoo and 1 other like this

#5 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 10:34 AM

Allie that's fantastic. :excellent

Hope you enjoy your couple of hours of freedom each day! Knowing that Toad is safe and happy means you can relax. Where did teacher aide 6 appear from?

The speech thing is even more fantastic. Being able to have a conversation doesn't exactly make life easy (!) but it sure helps! You must be so thrilled. :D
  • Jiraffe, Sacsovzc, wasiccoo and 1 other like this

#6 luci

luci

Old as the hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:ASD,(obviously !!) eating loads of chocolate, watching loads of Friends videos while eating loads of chocolate, modern praise music, youth work, walks on the beach, keeping my sanity, and eating more chocolate !!!!!!!!

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:30 PM

Hi all, just catching up on all the posts and threads. Sarah, big step for Tim, hair washing can be very traumatic. But I have found with my 2 that they will suddenly stop doing something that they have always done, like screaming in the bath or while getting hair washed. No apparant reason just decided they now liked it. Dale will stop some of his little habbits but always replace them with a new one, Rachel just likes to keep hers the same. But "WELL DONE TIM" :applaud
Allie, Teacher Aid, speech therapy and new words!! WOW. Toad has been busy. :excellent . I sometimes think that our kids seem to be so far behind the others and then just take a mad dash and start catching up in record-breaking time, even to the point of leaving their peers behind. I also think (no I know it's true) that by the time speech therapy and other services start to finally arrive, my son decided he would learn lots of new words the day before and recite them all to the speech therapiat. :hammer . This gave the S.T. the impression that I was imagining my son had a problem and that it was great that he new so many words :wacko: !!!!!!
Anyway, yesterday Dale came home from his new school with a glossy certificate and a shield. He had been given the 'Pupil of the month' award. I was so proud of him :applaud , close to tears :cry , but this time they were tears of joy. He was not that excited about it, yesterday was the 1st day that he stayed right through til home time, and he was ecstatic about getting curry and chips for school lunch! A shield really dosen't mean much when you have just tasted curry for the 1st time!!! :explode (he wanted me to put the explosion in and said 'fart' about 100 times!!!!) Who says ASD kids don't have a sense of humour?????? C u all later, Lucinda
  • Sacsovzc and Yurfapkw like this

#7 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:51 PM

Love it!! :lol: the curry I mean!

What are D and R like on food in general? DS is up there with the world's pickiest eaters. Lives on cereal, peanut butter sandwiches and pancakes. Oh and the usual sweets, crisps, biscuits etc that all children would live on if given half a chance.

We were advised to try a reward sytem to encourage him to try a wider variety of food but he was having none of it!

I'm so glad D is getting on well at school. I know what you mean about the leaps and bounds. I've found that I'll sometimes worry over something for months, wonder if DS will ever achieve it and then suddenly he does and never looks back - then I find something else to worry about :wacko:
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#8 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 09:25 PM

I always use the same description for Ned and food: feeding him is like that old black and white film of those poor blokes shovelling coal into the firebox of the Flying Scotsman as it breaks the speed record on the London-Edinburgh line.

There is not enough food in the world for Little Nutter. After dinner tonight, he went to bed with a bag of crisps and a plate of toast.

He is using words at last, though! He will count to three whenever he wants something - unless it is a banana, in which case he says "nana." And when Little Nutter says "nana" he gets one, even if it means I have to run into the village and back!
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#9 allie kiwi

allie kiwi

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 09:46 PM

Wow, more words, Gareth! That is so wonderful - I'd be dashing off to buy a 'nana' as well!!

Sarah, we'll have to add Daniel to the top picky eaters as well. *sigh* He used to be so good at eating a wide variety, from lentil hot pot, to beef and vege casserole. Now he wont eat anything but finger food - with the exception of the very occasional pottle of yoghurt or jelly (as in once a month). We used to 'hide' things in muffins or pancakes, such as grated zuchinni or apple, but the muffins dont work so well with egg replacer now that he has an egg allergy.

Allie
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#10 luci

luci

Old as the hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:ASD,(obviously !!) eating loads of chocolate, watching loads of Friends videos while eating loads of chocolate, modern praise music, youth work, walks on the beach, keeping my sanity, and eating more chocolate !!!!!!!!

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:27 PM

Gareth, I'm glad Little Nutter is getting more words, just wait until he starts making sentences, my 2 managed back-to-front, inside-out and upside-down stories!!!!!!!! You will become an expert in the language of gobbledegook and be able to put his words in the right order for those who are not bi-lingual. :wacko:
Sarah: Dale and Rachel are picky eaters. Rachel practically lives on scrambled eggs, cheese strings and yogurts. You are not allowed to put toast on her egg plate, or anything else for that matter, as this causes a BIG tantrum. She also likes all that junk stuff that she shouldn't be getting, but donsen't everyone??????????????
Dale is more keen to try a few new things now, like the curry. As you know he had a stroke 2 yrs ago and up until then he would eat only coked ham, yogs and friut. No bread, potatoes, pasta, veg, fish, etc, etc..... Now he is not just so picky, in fact sometimes it is quite hard to get him to stop eating. He does eat some weird combinations like jam and ham sandwiches, sweetcorn-beans-carrots- all on the same plate with nothing else, it makes ordering food in the cafes very interesting. Oh how my life used to be so dull and predictable!! :taz. Lucinda
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#11 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:27 PM

:excellent :lol:
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#12 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 11:57 PM

TA DAAAAAA!!!!! :excellent

Guess who got a Headteachers award for good work today?

Not that he shows any signs of caring about the award!

But I do :up
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#13 luci

luci

Old as the hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:16 PM

:excellent WELL DONE TIM :applaud
These milestones don't seem to mean much to the kids but it sure puts a grin on the grown ups faces. Let's hope this is the first of many :D
Lucinda
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#14 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 05:49 PM

:applaud Be a good boy and ARGUE with your mother!

I've had a rotten cold all day, and this afternoon went back to bed for an hour. (Well, what's the point in being a man if you can't really make the most of a cold?)

Whilst I was lying there, feeling sorry for myself, I heard Little Nutter push the bedroom door open, and he ran over to make happy noises at me. Then Michaela followed him in and took him out again.

On the stairs, she said "Down" to him. And in a clear voice he replied, "Up!" :excellent

This went on for about five minutes!

Celebrations all round! :wine
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#15 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 10:38 PM

:excellent :lol:
  • Sacsovzc likes this