• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sonia07

sonia07

Bookworm

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:When I get time I like to listen to my music, read and watch movies. And if i am very lucky to get a babysitter go out with the GIRLS!!!!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

DS1 and DS2 have support workers from a company social services refered them to. Have always had a bumpy ride with DS1's current support worker has she has talked down to me many atimes!! I am not one to come face to face with someone and express how feel. Today I just exploded and right in front of social worker!

Had meeting with both of them to try and get ds1 extra support, support worker turned up 10 minutes late then messed about in her car for another 10 minutes, I have met social worker before discussing ds2 on Monday so know she is ok. support worker comes in and within minutes asks me to leave the room so they can talk, she mentioned this to me on the phone the other day and was quite offended, she told me and k/d that she wasn't impressed with the way he talked to her on the phone a week or so ago, last week she calls me to say that she feels ds1 should not live with me has I cant provide the constant 1:1 he needs, all this and more came out in 2 outburst aggravated by her!  I know I shouldn't of let her get to me but after finding out ds1 has ran up 150 pounds worth of charges totally unexpectedly and still struggling to understand why and how on my tv bill  just kinda of popped!!

I deal with ds1 and ds2's finances but has she has said she needs ds1 to say and understand that he doesn't want her working with him and also to write this request down for her manager!! now this is just not gonna happen, he has limited understanding. I am trying to pursue a assessment for asd for ds1 and his anxiety needs to be addressed when I can get gp to listen!!  and with his MLD trying to have a chat with him about it is just not gonna happen.

He constantly goes off at me everytime I tell him he has to go and meet her calling her all the names under the sun and being verbally abusive to me, its so hard to get him out the door I feel sometimes I should bother but he don't go out apart from college 2 days a week and the odd half day here and there. He complains he is bored all the time and shuts himself away in his room most of the time. Just feel after 18 months of this and the fact that she was offensive, and constantly kept calling me a lyer and saying I don't know where you are getting this from but I didn't say that! 

I just need a way to get rid of her and possibly the whole company she works for and try some where else!

any ideas any one??

• Yurfapkw and PraifferemA like this

#2 cathcart

cathcart

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Dimensions provides buddy system and can be Autism specific workers. If the service is through another company I'm sure you have the right to change this.

#3 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

Record (as in video) DS1 saying all that stuff. He may not write it down but a video will show him expressing it.

Have you thought about getting either or both of them an advocate? 

Also if this is commissioned support as in social services get the bill then pay the bill have you considered asking for direct payments?

I get direct payments and I choose if I use PA's or a company (I use a mix of the two). I (with help) pick my staff and support times and activities.

Just a few ideas.

• Jolly Roger likes this

#4 sonia07

sonia07

Bookworm

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:When I get time I like to listen to my music, read and watch movies. And if i am very lucky to get a babysitter go out with the GIRLS!!!!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have been thinking since yesterday about getting them a advocate but don't know how to go about it!

Direct payments has been discussed but keep getting told to use their DLA but what they need wont cover everything they need and there is no way I can afford helping to contribute!!!

DS1(big foot), DS2 (footy crazy), DS6 (bumblebee) and Ds7 (bounce) all could do with respite but what I have found there is just no way I could afford it they all have additional needs which has to be addressed!!

I did try to note down what was said and when but can never remember which book or where I put it! (got a brain like a sieve!!!)

Only just got support workers email address after 18 months cause I was hoping to email everything said/done to leave a trail but she has been reluctant to give it to me!

Tried to think things over last night but my brain was in such a state I couldn't think straight!!!

#5 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Sounds like they are playing you a bit (although I might be wrong). You have every right to choose for your commissioned care to be given to you in direct payments form it is part of the national framework and mentioned in the REACH Standards "I choose who supports me" and "I choose how I am supported".

They may take a % of the boys DLA as a contribution towards their care, they are allowed to do this but it is not much (Mine is less than £15 per week). 

Look at this link

http://www.birmingha...Wrapper/Wrapper

Also contact these people

http://www.autismwestmidlands.org.uk/

They can point you towards free advocates, from charities who are independent. They also will tell you your rights as a carer and your sons rights.

There is a care provider in your area (I think) called United Response, look them up too. Very good have friends who worked for them. But they might not go as far up as you, I know they are operating in Oxford and other parts of the West Midlands.

What you need to learn is your rights and the rights of your sons, like I mentioned the REACH Standards are for anyone with a learning disability and / or Autism. 

They came about after a white paper called "Valuing People Now" so people with disabilities got more choice and the right support to live a life like any other person. Why shouldnt a 18 year old or a 25 year old go out late at night like their peers? Why can they not join clubs? Why do they have to stay in with parents at that age?

I will copy the 11 standards below. But do look at those links and contact Autism West Midlands who will be able to point you in the right direction for advocates and also tell you both your rights and the boys rights.

Reach standards (this is what people should be supported to do)...

There are 11 REACH standards, they are:

• I choose who I live with
  • I choose where I live
  • I have my own home
  • I choose how I am supported
  • I choose who supports me
  • I get good support
  • I choose my friends and relationships
  • I choose how to be healthy and safe
  • I choose how I take part in my community
  • I have the same rights and responsibilities as other citizens
  • I get help to make changes in my life

#6 sonia07

sonia07

Bookworm

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Just spoke to the social worker who was at the meeting and she was very concerned how I was!, she felt that the support worker for ds1 was out of order and I now have to get my head around everything that had happened over the 2 1/2 hours yesterday and make a formal complaint , social worker is going to do this has well.

Nothing came out of the meeting at all because of what had been said and happened, and social worker feels that she isn't the right person for ds1 at all even though she has worked with him for 18 months things are still at the same spot iykwim!!!

Time to get my thinking head on and work out all the wrong things that was said and how it was said and her behavior towards us all!!!

#7 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Email the social worker straight back - a nice "thank you" email, that includes her saying that the support worker was out of order. It'll form part of a paper trail for your complaint.

#8 sonia07

sonia07

Bookworm

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

will do that tonight cadenza, brain is so mashed up today just can't think straight!

email sent to social worker done and requesting advice on being heard and acknowledged in stopping support workers working with my boys for good!!   still cant understand why they feel that I am not acting in my kids best interests!!!  (support workers that is)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users