#1 Ymum

Ymum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Church Children Books

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:50 AM

I've been given a book which I haven't started reading yet but the person who gave it me is convinced this is the best approach to Autism ever and will get my non verbal son talking in no time. (sigh)

I've never heard of it I'm not convinced it's going to be at all effective I just wondered if anyone else has heard of it and what they thought.

#2 maximus prime

maximus prime

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

Never read it but know someone who has met Raun Kaufman (his parents started up the son rise movement) who is/was miraculously cured/saved as a result of their methods and she reported that the Raun Kaufman away from the podium and his scripts is very different in terms of ability to the image that is portrayed.She said on the podium he is a very able and fluent communicator but off stage he has limited speech and high support needs.

It never appealed to me as I am the last person who would feel comfortable "joining mine in their autistic world" although if you've ever felt that bouncing and spinning and flapping is appealing I suppose you could give it a go.I'd just feel like a prat tbh

I think as a family they have become very rich by peddling their methods but I don't think, and would assume not from what I was told,that Raun Kaufman has been independently evaluated on his abilities away from the podium  

#3 Ymum

Ymum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Church Children Books

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

Ok the thought of trying to join him in flapping jumping and spinning just leaves me exhausted.  

It was as I thought their child was probably starting from a completely different place to mine moving from preintentional  communication to fluent speech is not going to happen overnight no matter how much I flap my hands with him.  

It's not like I'm after a miracle cure really I'm quite happy with where he's at and he's made some outstanding progress recently. I guess some of the most well meaning advice can get a little tiresome at times. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users