Big Milestone Accomplished!

4 replies to this topic

#1 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

LE is now 13 wow where did the time go!

He has been nagging for a while to be allowed to walk to and from the corner shop on his own. Now the corner shop is at least 20 mins walk away and he has to cross one very busy road and lots of side roads to get there.

Even the shop is a bit of a nightmare with a tiny car park and cars pulling in and out and not being particularly careful when doing so!

Me and LE walk everywhere as I don't drive so for the past year or so I have let him lead the way crossing the roads and looking out for traffic although he still yaps non stop so not sure how much he is actually doing this!

I think we have got to the stage that we are happy as we can be that he will be safe and this weekend he had two trips to the shop and back on his own. Both times he came back armed with sweets and pop mind  :rolleyes: 

Well he did it and it's really given his self esteem and confidence a lift.

He is now fully aware he has autism and I think it was important to him to accomplish this particularly as his friends have been doing this already.

A big step for us too to stop being overly protective, let go and give him some trust.

• Janey, Kadenza and bluewater like this

#2 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

Well done LE, he should be proud off himself.

It's so hard for us parents, so give yourself a pat on the back too that couldn't have been too easy letting the rains go a little.

Isn't it a great feeling when they achieve things on there own, I was fit to burst when my wee man stood up and narrated at his nativity this year.

Hope he goes from strength to strength, safely lol x
Well done LE, he should be proud off himself.

It's so hard for us parents, so give yourself a pat on the back too that couldn't have been too easy letting the rains go a little.

Isn't it a great feeling when they achieve things on there own, I was fit to burst when my wee man stood up and narrated at his nativity this year.

Hope he goes from strength to strength, safely lol x
Sorry don't know why that duplicated x

#3 miami girl

miami girl

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Awwwwwwwwww hugs hun I know that you would of been a wreck till he got back.

Well done LE, and well done you xxx

• queen claudia likes this

#4 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

Huge step for you both, well done.

Our roads are much quieter than yours and our boys walk together to our shop.  I wasn't surprised to find out that once there they only talk to each other, not a word to the person behind the counter; they select what they want, place it on the counter and pay.  Much quicker to send them into the shop than go myself as the staff are always very chatty :D .

• queen claudia likes this

#5 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

Yeh, just a pity I can't send him for a bottle of wine lol.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users