4 replies to this topic

#1 lucyoh

lucyoh

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

Refused to assess at EHC panel criterion 1 and 2 met but not 3. They feel his needs are not exceptional in relation to others of the same age in the authority and that needs can be met at element 2 sen funding available to school.

He see's someone at house time  twice a week to discuss any issues and use of social stories if needed. No other support a generic Ta in some lessons who really is someone elses 1:1 from the sounds of it.

School - home relationship is strained as they just want to label and punish him so usually asked in due to some behaviour issues more so past 6 months e.g. calling out in class. So has been very hard work. Has no IEP.

Gets HRC and LRM. Doesn't have a CAF and haven't had a multi agency meeting ever at High School and been there  3 years.

Don't agree with this as no support leads to knock on effect to his mental health and behaviour experienced at school and home. Which they send for internal exclusions or detentions. IBP isn't indepth just about consequences.

Advise as I don't see him lasting that long before an exclusion or blow up occurs. Anxiety and sleeping issues increasing.

He is 4/5 years behind in reading /spelling as dyslexic. Has dysgraphia but no IT assessment or support in place. Suppose to have a sensory diet but it went missing in primary. OT reorganised so discharged.

Letter states have to contact independent mediation advisor before I can go tribunal. What do they do? Not in agreement - any advise, anyone?

#2 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:24 PM

Suggest you read through the advice on the IPSEA site, http://www.ipsea.org.uk/.
Under the new system, you have to get a certificate from a mediation advisor to say you have considered mediation. You don't actually have to attend mediation. 

#3 lucyoh

lucyoh

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Spoke to sen officer and was asked what I wanted as I stated I didn't think it was right and that I know I need a certificate to state mediation then apply for tribunal. Was told it could turn nasty between school and LEA if I went to tribunal!!! Is that to put me off is that the norm ?

#4 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

That is definitely to put you off.  LA's have all sorts of tricks.  The one I really object to is when their barrister approaches parents outside the hearing and tries to intimidate them.  

Tribunals are stressful for parents, schools and LAs.  Don't forget that LA's aren't used to defending their decisions in any other arena and they often don't have the evidence to support their actions.  No one wants to go to Tribunal, and the harder they try to avoid the weaker their case is likely to be.  We once had reverse psychology applied and were told by the LA that they were looking forward to explaining to Tribunal why what they planned was right; our appeal was upheld  :hidegrin: 

#5 lucyoh

lucyoh

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:45 PM

I was asked what I wanted as officer going to speak to SENCO and stated well staff awareness would be great for a start. Fed up of them stating defiant when he is in fact being factual and literal so in the context of it all, it is his asd and not being a pain!

Stated no IT assessment with equipment that could be provided for dygraphia, dyslexia, dyspraxia and suggested that would be a start as my other child gets this at another school and 25% extra time and both have very similar scores. Also pointed out that he is disorganised due to issues but if he forgets then detention given out I class that as direct discrimination. Am being sent what the SENCo submitted as appartuneltly that was the main reason. Considering in Yr 7 I was informed he has no issues what so ever I am not surprised!

Cross with the fact that it was stated well issues are mainly at home and not at school. So I corrected and stated no increasing issues at school and we then have deal with the issues at home due to schools mismanagement, also stated the IBP and was ten told one head has said well if he gets an EHCP then theres at least 20-30 kids at my secondary school like that so they should get one! So I stated so its ok for a child to be 4-5 years behind in literacy then and that's acceptable by the LEA.

Also stated so do all those kids get HRC and LRM then So cross with attitude of them all. So stated school and LEA are accountable as now aware of all issues and that I have had legal advise was told to ring back once decision made. 

Don't have strength or knowledge to this but will have a bash!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users