6 replies to this topic

#1 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

We have a difficult few weeks, J has progressed so well in the last few months which is why he is dealing so well with the chaotic way his new placement run the residential side of the college.
It is such a shame as the actual college runs well, we are in a catch 22 situation as we want him to stay at the college but can not believe the residential side is so bad.
The actual care staff are good but the management is appalling, J gets on well with the care staff and they try their best in very difficult circumstances.
I know of another parent that has reported the situation to CQC but we have decided to try and give them a little longer to get sorted out as we have had some promises made which would improve the situation and are waiting to see if this actually happens. (We have been lied to on a few occasions so I am not holding my breathe.)

It is such a shame, we finally find a type of education that works for J and it is being jeopardised by easily fixable but important issues within the residential side.

#2 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Oh no ! What a nightmare situation to be in.

Is he is old enough to move into a supported bedsit/flat, and be a day pupil at the school ? 

#3 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

Sorry to hear this.  It seems to me that the care side of residential placements is becoming more chaotic as while care staff know what they want/need to do, the management have other priorities.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the issues get sorted in time for J.

#4 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

We have had some encouraging movement and if all goes well when J meets the other boy he will be moving into a shared living providers home. We have met the couple who are lovely and after doing some research about SLP's this could be the first steps towards him becoming more independent.
The SLP's have had lots of training, this couple also have years of experience so all our concerns have well and truly been positively answered, J will be able to become more independent at a rate that is right for him but well supervised, with the hope that he will be able to live independently with some assistance at some point.

Who would have believed this is the same boy who a year ago was in such an awful place, I am still trying to keep up with the changes in him, I don't know how much is due to the hospital and how much is him growing up but for the first time in years I am beginning to see more than just glimpses of the person he was before his breakdown and it's wonderful.
  • mrselvis and sunflower1 like this

#5 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:01 PM

Fingers firmly crossed this works out for him (and for you) x

#6 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

Fingers firmly crossed this works out for him (and for you) x

Same here.

#7 mrselvis

mrselvis

Jail house rocker

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

I'm delighted that things are starting to become more positive for your family. Your post gives me hope. Lots of good luck for this working out well into the future. X

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users