• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

If you're new, welcome to ASDf. I hope we can help.

Everyone else, if you can give just one piece of advice to someone who is about to start the journey of diagnosis, assessment, statementing and living with autism & Asperger's Syndrome, what would it be?

Here is mine: Keep meticulous records of all letters, meetings and phone calls.

Get a large sturdy box and a large hardback notebook.

Every time you receive a letter write the date you received it on it, use that date as an index in your notebook, write down a quick summary, and keep it in the box. Take copies of all the letters you send, and do the same.

For all phone calls and meetings: write notes, and then record it in the same way. Do the same for any conversation you have where you are told something interesting, or told someone something important.

If you're very, very lucky, this will just be a waste of your time and your space.

But if you ever have to do battle to get a Dx, or a statement, or to fight an exclusion, or go to appeal or tribunal, this box will win the fight for you.
  • mad cat lady, sacha, debbie bell and 1 other like this

#2 Kazzen161

Kazzen161

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

Send all letters to the LA by recorded delivery.

Strangely a lot of letters to the LA get lost in the post!

#3 phobia09

phobia09

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

Thats the best advice anyone could give :) , record record record , get anything and everything in writing, its could make all the difference to you :)

#4 tash

tash

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

Best advice I can give is that you are not alone and that you will get through this. (with many wobbles along the way)

You will meet some wonderful friends in the same boat and learn to fight for what your child needs.

Oh and what GOM,Kazzen and Mina said :)
  • debbie bell and gruffalo like this

#5 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

and try to avoid phonecalls...by asking if you could possibly have their email addresses as you find using telephones hard to use ;)
Thats a big hint.
Then you will have written evidence ;)
I do it all the time and trust me, its worth the effort :)
  • debbie bell, Juliesson and Maisie like this

#6 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

Trust your instincts.

If you feel that things are not right, go with that feeling. Don't compromise your child's well being just because 'professionals' tell you they know what they are doing. If your child needs extra help / a different TA / a different school / medication - YOU KNOW because you know your child best. Don't allow others to bamboozle you into thinking that they know best (this advice comes from bitter experience).
  • Jenha, saphire_eyes802 and Dizzie1 like this

#7 Glass Half Full

Glass Half Full

AKA Half Pint!!!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:16 AM

NAG

Don't wait for the phonecall or letter it often never comes. Ring/email every day. Get known, you don't have to be rude, just consistent.

They're all busy folks and if they can get away with one job that day they will. Just don't let it be 'your job'.
  • gruffalo likes this

#8 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

Oh and the most commonest thing they always say :rolleyes:

"Our LEA don't like to statementing" or one i heard the other day "Our LEA has stopped statementing altogther"

Yes LEAs don't like to statement because it is going to cost them MONEY

They cannot stop statementing a disabled child no matter what.

Its always about the money.

Edited by Snickas, 28 November 2009 - 08:21 AM.

#9 windy ginny

windy ginny

Miss Marple

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:22 AM

Join a support group (or this site).

Knowledge is power.

#10 maximus prime

maximus prime

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

You want the best for your child.

Schools and LEAs have other priorities.

If what they suggest doesn't fit with what you want, it isn't because they know best it's that they have other priorities :whistle .

If given some ridiculous information over the phone ask for the email address of the person giving it. Then email them to ask them to confirm that the information they have just given you (quote exactly and date and time of conversation) is correct.

Never ever send anything to the LEA that hasn't been sent recorded delivery. If not too far away deliver personally and get the name and signature of the person recieving the documents (tends to rattle them especially if you ask for the named person to collect it personally) :gareth

#11 Yes its political

Yes its political

From the Miami Precinct

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Interests:All things CSI, Especially Horatio! Enjoy watching Big Bang Theory. Card making (when I get the time) reading and taking college courses when time allows.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

Same as these guys.

But if you are after something specific eg a place at a SN school.

Knowledge is power:

Go to all the local units attached to schools,mainstream school etc make detailed notes on the facilities, teaching methods the equipment they have, how they would help YOUR child not ALL children.

Ask them if they would take your child, I did and got some very honest answers. Go home write up a report on the school. Include names phone numbers and all the info you have gathered.

Do this for every unit, mainstream, and SN school you visit.
Make all the reports into a document.

Include a summary of what you have have gathered, your opinions on why your child should go to X school, unit etc. Include some properly researched info on your child's condition/s add this in to the document and state how you think X school will meet the needs of your child.
You need to show them you have done your "homework" when it comes to section 4 - school placement. Its no use saying you want your child to go to X unless you can back it up.

I did get the school of my choice, but couldn't get transport.

If you are after transport call the LEA and ask them what their mileage criteria is, is it as the crow flies or by the shortest route by road?

Oh and email at all times, ask for email addresses, and back up your emails to a folder on your computer.

Edited by crazymum, 28 November 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#12 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:02 PM

Buy gin and wine in bulk quantities :whistle
  • Jenha, Helenhugs, cupcake and 2 others like this

#13 Jenha

Jenha

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

this is a great thread thanks and I especially like Miss Mac's advice, in fact Im acting on it right now :D

#14 Busyknitter

Busyknitter

Surprisingly young and trendy

• Admin
  • 7,045 posts
  • Interests:I like: music (all kinds), singing (mainly hardcore choral SATB stuff), knitting, The Bible, apples, extremely long novels from the nineteenth century, Farscape. I don't like: being tired, cycling on ice, skipping meals, feeling patronised as a "special needs" mum, liver.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

Don't be afraid (or too proud) to ask for help when you need it, whether from friends, family or social services, depending on your situation.

#15 Steph

Steph

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Nag. lol That's me. I liked that, good one.
Mine is,

You're about to find out just how scheming, back-stabbing, abbrasive and inconsiderate some professionals can be... if you find an honest, kind, approachable and thoughtful professional, stay on their good side... at all costs.

Oh, and don't forget to write at least as many thank-you cards as you do letters of appeal, complaint or concern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users