51 replies to this topic

#31 Speckled Lizard's Mama

Speckled Lizard's Mama

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

Love this thread.... every parent needs to hear all of this as they start this long road to finding a diagnoses... Thank you!!!

#32 lennie len

lennie len

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts
  • Interests:Art,painting,making costumes,gardening,being outside,observing<br />tra la la,music,yamaha keyboards,ferrets and cats,and probably more :)

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

How slow am I....been here a couple of years and not even noticed this thread.

"only YOU will get your child what they need" (with help and advice along the way)
no good putting it off, waiting for someone to do it for you, they won't.

"don't put it off, get on with it"
You know the feeling...you need to get some info, need to make a complaint, need to ask a quesiton, need to advise school, need to ask advice, etc etc and it's all niggling at your brain that much that you don't want to do it, whch makes you feel worse.
Write a list, get on with it, tick em off.
  • Juliesson likes this

#33 Sheal

Sheal

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

DON'T GIVE UP!

#34 DeeS.

DeeS.

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

Go to your meetings well prepared and write your points on paper. I have a social anxiety and have a hard time remembering what I wanted to get across and having that list really helps.

Find out what other parents at the school are getting for their children in the support center and don't be afraid to fight for what your child needs. I have been very blessed with the school that my dd goes to and they are always coming to us with things for her IEP.

Don't be afraid to try new things with your child while waiting for those appointment. My ds has speech delays and I just do the same things I did when he was a baby. Hold the object and say the word. I've learned to say it a little slower and really annunciate (we think he hears only the beginning of a word). Record these things and take them with you to your appointments. If it doesn't work, try something else.

#35 notbovered

notbovered

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

Buy your child a towelling dressing gown, and put it on them so you can get changed first after taking them swimming. A half dressed adult in persuit of an undressed child is much better than an undressed adult in persuit of a half dressed child
  • imperfect parent, PurpleJ and Madd1e like this

#36 notbovered

notbovered

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

I meant pursuit

#37 gorilla

gorilla

Silverback

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Football, family, telly especially Casualty, music anything really but metal and rock are my scene.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

One thing I want to add.

NEVER trust anoyne who says they will contact other professionals regarding the care of your child, make a note of when they say it and give them 5 working days before you contact the person/department that was getting contacted to make sure they have contacted them. You will find that in some cases people say one thing and never do it.
  • imperfect parent likes this

#38 Pairofpants

Pairofpants

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

Some excellent advice on this thread. Thank you. I suspect I'm going to use lots of it in the months ahead.

#39 PurpleJ

PurpleJ

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

Great thread and will be coming back to it for sure!
Thanks,

#40 Faye Fuller

Faye Fuller

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thankyou everyone for your advice. Life is a battle and a challange and at times I'm struggling but im doing my best with the battle for "J" 41/2 years old with quiery ADHD/ASD.

#41 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Definately make a note of everything. Every conversation, the date and what was discussed.

Don't go into any potentially difficult meetings on your own. Try and take a representative in with your or Parent Partnership if you don't have anybody.
  • imperfect parent likes this

#42 gorilla

gorilla

Silverback

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Football, family, telly especially Casualty, music anything really but metal and rock are my scene.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Advice for 2012!

Right I am now well in to the dx process and the advice I have got here is great.

For anyone starting out on the dx road here is what to do!

Go and buy a large lever-arch file and LOADS of poly pockets! - file every single bit of paper you get from everyone about your wee one(s) in it!
Get a diary - record every single meeting, phone call and letter/emails
Get a large note book - take notes from all letters/emails, meeting and phone calls

These three items may seem like over kill but when you are going in to battle with the "system" they make life so much easier as you can go direct to each of them and give exact dates and times of things tat have been said!

When talking to people about your child(ren) on the phone have a pen and paper ready to scribble down notes, include names of people you speak to, what they said and get everything clarified at the end of the call.
When at a meeting take someone with you, and do not be afraid to ask questions even if they seem a little bit daft, or even if you know that person isn't the person to ask, word them in a way as if drawing their attention to the problem. That way you make them aware of what you know.
When you get reports/minutes check them with the person that went with you to the appointment/meeting and don't be afraid to phone them up and say if things are wrong.

Next is never ever be afraid to threaten people in the "system" with taking things to the next level eg going to their superior, once you make the threat always follow through with it even if they do change things!

Oh and be prepared for every excuse under the sun.

#43 mbatty07

mbatty07

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

hi all thanks for this thread as a newbie it has been nice to sit and read through all the posts. this is a very daunting and challenging period in mine and my husbands life and we have often felt like we are alone.... We have already been fighting for 2 1/2 years for someone to listen to us and to help us find out why our son is like he is and finally we seem to be making progress :)

#44 mylittleangel

mylittleangel

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Festivals, Crafts, Music, Camping.... cause running wild is when B feels most at home!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Thanks to all .... guarantee to use loads of this!

:worship:

#45 Dino mum

Dino mum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, drinking coffee, shopping and holding onto my sanity with all my might.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Get a printer/scanner/photocopier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users