Photo

Differences Between Social Communication Difficulties And Asd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Babieseverywhere

Babieseverywhere

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

We had the SALT appointment today. 

Going back in September as she did not finish her picture assessment as DS was getting too distracted. 

She said it was clear that he had some social communication difficulties and said she would write to the school with some suggestions.

She asked why we weren't seeing OT for his clumsyness and difficultly in dressing. Answer. No one suggested it.

So what is the difference between social communication difficulties and ASD ?

The way she said was talking, there is one.
  • Frillitle likes this

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

Communication difficulties have a huge impact for all with ASD, but ASD is not the only cause of communication difficulties. (deafness and cognitive impairment are 2 which spring to mind)  .I wonder if your SALT was trying to tell you that having a communication difficulty does not necessarily mean your child has ASD; it doesn't, but it does make it more likely that he has.  In effect it's a box ticked, but other boxes need to be ticked to get the ASD DX (Triad of impairment)

For my boys who have a DX of Apergers and ASD respectively the difficulties are with processing of information, particularly verbal.  To compound this they both have difficulty in asking for clarification, and it's very common for others(ourselves included) to think they have understood and accepted what has been said/done when in fact they have misinterpreted the information.

It's good that your SALT has picked up on the clumsiness, and recognised that OT assessment is needed.  Our own experience of SALT and OT in county has been poor, with no practical support, and a lot of dismissing our children as being more able than many.

• Babieseverywhere likes this

#3 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

I found this for you, its off an American site but its details was better than what I could find from a UK site!

Social communication can be defined as "the synergistic emergence of social interaction, social cognition, pragmatics (verbal and nonverbal), and receptive and expressive language processing" (Adams, 2005, p. 182). See components of social communication [PDF] and social communication benchmarks [PDF] across the age span.

Social communication disorders may include problems with social interaction, social cognition, and pragmatics. A social communication disorder may be a distinct diagnosis or may occur within the context of other conditions, such as autism spectrum disorder (ASD), specific language impairment (SLI), learning disabilities (LD), language learning disabilities (LLD), intellectual disabilities (ID), developmental disabilities (DD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and traumatic brain injury (TBI). Other conditions (e.g., psychological/emotional disorders and hearing loss) may also impact social communication skills. In the case of ASD, social communication problems are a defining feature along with restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior.

Social communication includes interactions with a variety of communication partners, including family, caregivers, child care providers, educators, and peers. Social communication behaviors such as eye contact, facial expressions, and body language, are influenced by sociocultural and individual factors (Curenton & Justice, 2004; Inglebret, Jones, & Pavel, 2008), and there is a wide range of acceptable norms within and across individuals, families, and cultures. For example, preferences for maintaining or averting eye contact, expectations for adult-child interactions, or norms for personal space may vary. The rules of interaction are highly dependent on the situation and condition in which the child is involved (Kayser, 1989; Wolfram, 1986). Clinically and culturally appropriate assessment must examine variations in norms and distinguish these variations from a disorder(s).

The Signs and Symptons are:
"Signs and symptoms of social communication disorders include problems with social interaction (e.g., speech style and context, rules for linguistic politeness), social cognition (e.g., emotional competence, understanding emotions of self and others), and pragmatics (e.g., communicative intentions, body language, eye contact)."

Found on this page: http://www.asha.org/...ection=Overview

And the NAS has some excellent tips for parents here, that may help you: http://www.autism.or...ence-guide.aspx

Hope it helps anyway :)

• Babieseverywhere likes this

#4 Babieseverywhere

Babieseverywhere

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

Thank you for your posts, I have read and saved those links. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users