Photo

What's Your Favourite Christmas Tipple?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

As a child I always remember being able to have a babycham or a snowball at Christmas and every year now I always make sure I get a supply in although they are quite difficult to find these days!

LE loves the snowballs too.

I also enjoy a good bottle of red with our beef on Christmas Eve so really looking forward to that. Any recommendations let me know!

We also usually have a bottle of port with our cheese and dh has bought me a really posh cheese board as one of my presents so looking forward to using that.

What's your favourite tipple?

#2 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

Can’t say I have a favourite Christmas tipple.... I like a wine spritzer on Christmas Eve while preparing everything.

Mid morning on Christmas Day we generally open a bottle of prosecco with orange juice, moving on to glass of rose while preparing dinner.

I’m not a big drinker so don’t really tend to drink much mor than rose, vodka and lemonade or the odd bulmer on rugby match days or summer.

My dad however knows his stuff with wines, port and malts. He likes to trial things and find out what he really enjoys, he’s a real foodie too could be a contender on matercheif... for real.

He’s a real artist full off creative flare with the palette both in painting and in food and drink... I’m afraid don’t take this off him. He loves preparing meals for people and trying out new flavours and tastes.

I don’t know how you find the time to prepare both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals.... I wish I was that prepared, it always sounds lovely every year .
  • queen claudia likes this

#3 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:40 PM

I've been thinking about this, and there is no simple answer; anything in moderation, though occasionally moderation goes out of the window.  That's rare when we are with the boys as dealing with ASD under the influence is not to be recommended.

I love Port, and red wine, especially when there are salty snacks or cheese and biscuits to nibble on. Most white wine I find a bit too acidic, but occasionally I find one I can drink.  Decent beer or stout,  but not lager, also goes down well with food.  Gin makes me think of alcoholics, though I don't mind the taste and it doesn't make me cry like my best friend does when she drinks it.

We have a bottle of Madeira as our experimental drink this year, and a bottle of sweet wine to go with Christmas pud.  Even our youngest is now an adult, but none of them drink much.  Ds1 isn't interested at all while the other 2 try any drink they fancy, but generally have less than a measure out of choice.

#4 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:59 PM

Vodka is my drink of choice or the odd snowball.

Dh is Scotch but his favourite is Irish Whisky 

#5 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

That's given me some ideas as I've heard of dessert wine but never tried it myself. I like the idea of trying something I've never had before too so might try and pick up a bottle, another pressie for hubby possibly.

I love red wine with my beef and we have white with the turkey although I'm not really a white wine person I find it too acidic as well. It also gives me more of a headache which usually people who drink red wine complain about but I don't get it with red unless I drink far too much of course lol.

I enjoy wine and port with cheese and nibbles too. Dh loves Baileys so got him a bottle of that for Christmas. I try and not drink too much over Christmas funnily enough as we have to travel back to see family the day after Boxing Day so I like to have a clear head!

#6 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

I drink very little, but my Christmas present often contains a Baileys miniature.

#7 Pixiedust

Pixiedust

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Interests:My little people, sewing and crafts, education, gardening, arguing about the detail

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

I like Port. Although this year I might go fir the Vodka! (We are hanging on for dear life until the season is over!)

#8 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

My big problem is always trying not too eat too much before Christmas actually starts!

I've realised the way round this is to organise the BIG shop as closely as possible to Christmas Eve so we have our shop arriving on 23rd!

Even so have been having the odd tipple as dh is not following my rules unfortunately lol.

Went shopping with LE as he wanted to buy hubby Christmas presents and after he made his choices we went to M&S and bought a bottle of Madeira so thanks for the tip IP! As you said thinking of having it with Christmas Pud!

Dh has bought a surprise for me this year. I am not into surprises it stresses me doesn't go well with my OCD tendencies as like to be IN CONTROL but all the same lovely that he is trying to treat me.

OMG though every time I attempt to go into the garage he is falling over himself with excuses why I can't go out there so OBVIOUSLY my 'surprise' is in the garage.

He asked me to disappear for a few hours today, so took myself into town. When I came back there was a pair of plyers on the table PMSL. Honestly dh is funny. I have an idea what it might be so I'll have to act surprised on the day if I am right!

#9 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

LOL Hope its not too bad a present bless him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users