#1 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

Hi think I just need a rant ahhhhhh!

After seeing the segment on today's news about Asd it gave me reniewed energy to continue to fight the cause for my son.

To my dismay after a fairly positive start in this process off dx for L everything drew to a halt.

I believe it was the school lagging in there investigation in to Ls behaviour that is the cause off the snails pace.

After the initial consultation from paedeatricion who wished the school to investigate further as they see something in his behaviour that is worth looking at.

And the OT who the school referred us to after meeting us gave the school useful information on class room breaks etc, I have heard nothing from the school stating they received any information.

I had a meeting with the learning support teacher which went not as positively as I originally thought, as some off you may remember from a previous post a while ago. Who in her last email to me before the end off school term to enquirer how both meetings had gone. She should have received letters from both paediatrician and OT explaining this. So I dutifully sent a pleasant letter outlining what had happened at said meetings.

Oh and in same email told me she had not completed action plan for L that she was supposed to do weeks before. Then sent an email with details off new learning support teacher that was due to start in the new term, she had told me this at the first meeting so I was just glad there was some one else taking over, let's just say I didn't have much faith in her.

Anyway a couple of weeks later I was in school talking to the headteacher about an unrelated issue and thought I would make her aware that I was still awaiting the action plan. I began by enquiring if she was aware that Logan was being assed by paediatrician . Her response to that was yes she was aware but couldn't possibly assess Logan now due to transitioning up the school for the new term ( that got me angry and if I was quick enough I would have said I was worried about the transition that my child was going through without his action plan in place).

instead I said pleasantly, I understood this but was just wondering about his action plan, to be told it was nothing to do with her that the teacher and learning support teacher would do this between them. (Even more annoyed😠)
I then replied calmly I understood this but I wondered why it hadn't been done. She then panicked and replied she would look in to it. I haven't heard from her.

Yes she was having a bad day as she told us she had two children in the classroom to deal with. Well my child is just as important and she should have rearranged a time with us she could talk.

So we are now on week three off Ls return to school and still have t heard anything.

Out off curtesy to the new learning support teacher I gave her a couple off weeks to settle in and hoefully receive a handover off info and open cases.

I sent an email to her today to find that the other learning support teacher had sent me a wrong link and it was undelivered. Ahhhhhhhh!😫

So I had to the email to the school general email and hope they have the curtesy to forward it on.

I know that a dx can take a while years even but it's been a year all ready and were not even on the path to a Asd diagnosis.

What is it with schools and not opening there eyes and looking st these kids. I truly believe they are not willing to see what I see in L.

So sorry for the long winded post, just feeling annoyed right now.

#2 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

How incredibly frustrating!  

I would begin to put timescales in your correspondence and ensure that all correspondence is in written (email) form - even following up conversations with an email along the lines of "Just to confirm our conversation today..." 

State that "in the interests of (your child), and to ensure that appropriate support may be in place as soon as possible I require a detailed response within two working weeks".

That sounds confrontational, but really you're just telling the professionals to do their jobs for which they get paid.  Two working weeks is considered a reasonable response time, and if there are any legitimate reasons why they cannot reply within that time they should tell you why not, and how long it should take.  It's unfortunate, but it seems that in many cases (not all), it is the pushy, on-the-ball parents/carers who get the things we need for our children, whereas taking the apparently more polite, wait and see route gets us left behind.

#3 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Oh that sounds really bad. This may not help your frustration, but we had delay after delay when trying to get action out of ds1's high school (although he already had dx, support was  very slow and grudgingly given when he was obviously struggling).

We eventually found to get results we had to send a letter to the area head of education and copied as many relevant people as possible involved with ds1. We listed facts about time delays, lack of promised provision, lack of communication etc etc. (I was advised to be ready to go up the ladder as far as necessary to get action. The same person also advised me to be persistent as difficulties for us and ds1 were huge, whereas ds1 was just another job on a list to others, and a cancelled meeting meant nothing to them, but meant us surviving on for another few weeks).

I really hope you get a reply and the new learning support teacher is helpful.

#4 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

Thank you, it's so incredibly frustrating how this path can take so long, it's a brain disorder people are looking at yet it appears to be nothing but a common cold to some.

I am thankful that he is high functioning but still deserves support like anybody else.

L broke a bone in his foot in the playground yesterday so my brave we man coped well with hospital last night but I spent the remainder off the night in his bed because his anxieties heightened that badly he was being sick.

So to the school teachers who can't see anything, does that sound like normal behaviour for a 7 year old !

Still no email back from school today, I will give it to the end of the week before contacting them again.

I like the idea off time scales kadenza, I see the assertive lead is the way to go but I just thought I would try getting them on side.

Yours are right, the more I leave it the more it looks like there is nothing to look at with L.

Meanwhile I have no idea what the new teacher knows off Logan's difficulties, they do not communicate.

Oh I do hope she replies soon X

#5 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

Well I did get a reply and an apology for wrong email address.
Age yanked me for getting in touch and reassured me that she'll get back in touch within two weeks when she'll arrange a electing to over anything.

She said she's been familiarising herself with the children that receive learning support and will speak to previous teachers etc . This may be a problem as Logan isn't actually under learning support. I only hope that the last learning support teacher kept notes.

We shall wait and see where we're at in two weeks time. X

#6 Maverick

Maverick

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

If you don't have already get your self a copy of the SEN code of practice and more importantly part 3 of the families and children's act (which is the law). You could also contact Core Assets who offer independent education support ( and may be able to attend meetings with you if required) and/or also IPSEA who will email you advice.

Let's hope the new LSA is good. :-] xx

#7 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:03 PM

I've just got my dh to download the SEN code off practice for me and I'll get a copy off the children's Scotland act from my work.

It's not in my nature to go up against professionals like this. I think I might need support to begin with.

Why is it so hard to try and get what I feel he needs which is just recognition? Whether he gets a dx or not.

#8 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

Hi Tracky2

Have you been on to the Enquire website ( www.enquire.org.uk)? We were casually handed their booklet when ds1 was diagnosed, but actually found it a lot more useful than we first thought it would be. Lots of information.

From the home page you can select find a service, for example letstalkasn (http://https//www.asntscotland.gov.uk), mindroom.org.uk etc all good sources of advice through the mine field of ASN, helplines etc.

They also have lots of useful info, fact sheets (this is how I knew our LA was outwith it's legal timescales for some things).

You may already have all this,

I hope your new learning support teacher is helpful.

#9 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

Thanks guys, I don't have anything like this, I just feel underprepared for this fight.

It bothers me that I have to go to these lengths for something that should be an entitlement .

Got two weeks still to go before I see the learning support teacher so I'll do a little studying before hand X

#10 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

Unfortunately it all comes down to funding, or rather the lack of it.  It's apparent that those who are prepared to shout the loudest are the ones who get heard.  It's not right, but it's been that way for a good few years now.

This forum will give you all the support you need to be heard.

#11 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:49 PM

Unfortunately it all comes down to funding, or rather the lack of it.  It's apparent that those who are prepared to shout the loudest are the ones who get heard.  It's not right, but it's been that way for a good few years now.

This forum will give you all the support you need to be heard.

True, and we have learnt to shout loudly, but we are now finding that even those who shout don't get what they should.

I still work on the basis that to get anything you have to shout, but increasingly delays are being introduced and you really need to keep a close eye on time passing too.

#12 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:05 PM

^^^ Very true.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users