• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wishful thinker

Wishful thinker

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:yeah, like I've got the time...?

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Hi

Seems like only yesterday we were in court over secondary placement but looks like we're heading back there....

Advice please

I've named a placement for 16+ for J. Unfortunately the lea want him to go to the local college to do something he'll hate for 2 years. It's a lot cheaper. He can't cope with the environment there. Lots of sensory issues etc etc
His school are wholly supportive of the placement I've chosen and agree the local college is a non starter for a number of reasons
However after 6 weeks and numerous chase ups, the lea have still not sent any paperwork to my chosen college to start the consultation process. They simply won't start the ball rolling
Today I received a call from the local college asking when J was coming for another visit. They have it in their minds that he is coming to them!!!
I can't get my head around the new Sen code of practice now it all all online
Does anyone know what, if any, laws are being bent here?
What are the legal duties especially on timescales on an lea with consulting processes now?

I really hope this makes sense 😔

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,946 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

http://www.specialed...-provision.html

Hope this helps

I had a quick look at IPSEA and SOS SEN, but for this particular query I couldn't see a clear link so you would need to speak to them.

#3 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

The post 16 placement should be named on the EHCP by 31 March. If you don't have the placement named by 31 March they have broken the deadline.

College have to be consulted but the LEA doesn't have to take any notice of what they say. 

Our local College declined DS and LEA named it anyway. DS wants to go there and won't consider anywhere else so we are not challenging 

#4 Wishful thinker

Wishful thinker

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:yeah, like I've got the time...?

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Hi
Interesting about the 31St deadline. Certainly nothing was named on the final statement that I recieved
However, as my school have noted, little of the info they put forward has been included and whole sections are missing...including placement
One worry is that I never recieved a draft statement so couldn't request a placement but the school did this for me separately and should have comfortably done this within the required timescale
Whatever the case, after 6 weeks and 3 times of asking, my preferred college have not received any paperwork
Now spending my Saturday night reading children and families act.rivetting

Edited by Wishful thinker, 25 March 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#5 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,946 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Deadlines are broken all the time by LA's, there seems to be nothing parents can do about it, but heaven help parents if they miss a deadline.  Knowing what should happen sometimes helps, but a determined LA can ignore the law with impunity.

• queen claudia likes this

#6 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

Yep deadlines were constantly broken over and over again by our LEA they don't care and there's little you can do unless you want to get solicitors etc involved.

#7 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

Agree with above... deadlines only appear to apply to parents!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users