Oh, and he says he wants to be a firefighter when he grows up :excellent
  • GoraNaxyGloli, Derlomix, phiplinneks and 166 others like this

#17 Kev

Kev

Supergeek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:Professional Web Designer for an agency in the Midlands, main hobbies are design, IT and most of all, my family.

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:19 AM

Meant to add this earlier...

On Saturday just gone, Megan took me by the hand, led me into the Kitchen, looks up at me and said 'drink'. This is the first clear word I've heard her speak other than Mum or Dad.

I made something of a big deal out of it until she started looking totally freaked out :D
  • jaquelineba, Frillitle, Glussyhessy and 3 others like this

#18 Sarah

Sarah

The Technical Technophobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:52 AM

Kev, that is fantastic :excellent
  • jaquelineba and Sacsovzc like this

#19 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:13 PM

That is so impressive of Megan! Most excellent news! :excellent

Oh, to hear Benedict ask for a drink with words rather than by throwing his cup at my head... :rolleyes:

However, he was a hero this morning! :applaud

Whilst dressing him, as usual, I told him what every item of clothing was. After I named it, he repeated the word! :excellent And when we came to his shoes, he didn't need prompting.

He spent the whole of today saying "shoes" to everyone at nursery... :whistle
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#20 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:57 PM

Ooooh that is so cool :applaud :excellent

The memories that come flooding back about DS at that age ....

Won't be long before you loose count of the number of words they can say :D

Go Megan. Go Ned. :drunk
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#21 allie kiwi

allie kiwi

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:Autism, Allergies, Writing, Singing, Cooking, Reading.

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:31 AM

:applaud

Kev, you must be over the moon!

And great to hear Ned is coming out wiht more words too, Gareth.

Allie
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#22 luci

luci

Old as the hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:ASD,(obviously !!) eating loads of chocolate, watching loads of Friends videos while eating loads of chocolate, modern praise music, youth work, walks on the beach, keeping my sanity, and eating more chocolate !!!!!!!!

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:53 PM

WELL DONE MEGAN :applaud AND WELL DONE NED :applaud .Every word means so much to us parents, before you know it they will be stringing these words together and making sentences. A word of warning, be prepared for Megan & Ned to drop you all in it when they do start to make sentences, mine did and still do :bag . I still cringe when I think of some of the things that they have blurted out, Dale's best one was during prayers in church when he VERY LOUDLY announced that he had done a big smelly fart and then proceeded to roll about the aisles in fits of ear-drum piercing laughter. But, it was still words formed into a sentence so I couldn't very well scold him for it, could I ? :gareth .
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#23 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 10:35 AM

The latest:

Singing a full chorus of "Happy Birthday to you!"

Great, eh? :applaud
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#24 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 10:39 AM

Fantastic.

Brilliant to be able to sing any song but "Happy Birthday" is such a good one to know as it means he can join in at parties and be one of the gang.

Nice one LN :excellent :applaud
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#25 luci

luci

Old as the hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:ASD,(obviously !!) eating loads of chocolate, watching loads of Friends videos while eating loads of chocolate, modern praise music, youth work, walks on the beach, keeping my sanity, and eating more chocolate !!!!!!!!

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:14 PM

Today we had a family fun day on our estate and there were lots of bouncy castles, train ride, those poles you sit on and then try to knock each other off with big cotton buds :confused !! and lots of other stuff. Last year it was a nightmare because neither Dale or Rachel could wait in the queues and moaned and fought all day. So you can imagine that we were not looking forward to a repeat performance, but took them out anyway. Straight off both of them tried to jump the queue, but when Dale was told he had to take his turn he went to the back of the line without a fuss :applaud :excellent , and then another miracle, Rachel followed him and stood behind him :o :applaud :excellent .
Well I nearly fell over with the shock, they just accepted it and waited their turn, and as it was a small queue they soon got their turn. I wondered how long this would last, I've wittnessed their one-hit-wonders before, but Dale did well the entire day. I noticed that he seemed to be counting the number of people in the queues and if there were too many he didn't join it, and moved on to something else. Rachel just copied him until she found a bouncy castle with a bouncy climb and slide and she was addicted for the rest of the day. They managed to have a go on everything at some stage and I was so proud of the both of them. There were of course some scuffles and huffs but they were very short lived. AND ... they both sat through a Punch and Judy show and shouted with the other kids, ok.. so sometimes they shouted the wrong things like "the man is down in there talking, not him (Punch)" and "shut up" but no-one seemed to care :whistle .
The highlight of the day for me was when Dale was in the queue for the bouncy assault course. A wasp had landed on the back of an older girl in front of him and he softly touched her arm and said "there's a wasp on you". I couldn't believe that he had actually spoken to someone and was worried that they might get stung by the wasp, I was bursting with pride :wub: :cry :applaud :D . I know that the change in him is due a lot to the new school, his teacher and his classroom assisstant. The new therapies are helping a lot and every little step becomes a huge leap for him and us. We hope and pray that the help Rachel is getting may one day have the same great results. Well, goodnight from an exhausted but very happy and proud mum
:wub: :excellent

#26 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 08:50 AM

FANTASTIC :excellent :applaud :angel :angel

Coping with queues is such a milestone and makes it sooooooooooooo much easier to take them places with confidence - I love D's idea of counting the people in the queue before deciding to join it. Honestly, these children have a great deal more about them than people give them credit for - brilliant :applaud .

Our school had a summer event on Friday where each class perfomed a song and dance routine for all the parents. It was wonderful to see an older ASD boy at the school joining in beautifully with his class who did quite a complicated dance. I bet his Mum was bursting with pride way over and above any of the other parents. :D

#27 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 08:50 AM

Hmmm! Just posted twice for some reason. Didn't know how to get rid completely so editing it out!

Sarah :drunk :hammer

#28 luci

luci

Old as the hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 03:30 PM

Well Done Tim for sitting so well :applaud . It's one of the hardest things for our kids to do, I've spent many parent evenings, school fairs and social gatherings chasing after my 2, it makes a huge difference when you can enjoy the event and they manage to stay with you, especially when it's one of your other kids performing.
I'm sure the mother of the other ASD kid was bursting at the seems with pride, and one day you will be in the same position with Tim, I just know it :up . When I think of my own 2 and how far they have come, I always think about the story of the tortoise and the hare, it's one of my favourites. While their peers are racing ahead at the moment I just know they will be the winners in the end ^_^

#29 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 06:42 PM

Guess who used a toilet today!

Ned was at nursery today. When he was taken into the toilets to have his nappy changed, apparently he let the nurse take the old nappy off and then he ran for it. He went straight for the nearest loo and used it!

He's quite bemused about all the fuss he is getting for it... :blink:

#30 Guest_. (Guest)

Guest_. (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2003 - 12:54 PM

Gareth and Michaela, I am soooooooooooooo pleased for you both :D , it's such an ENORMOUS step, but i'm sure Ned is wondering what all the fuss is about, after all he only used the loo :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused :confused . I would love to know what goes on in their minds when we give so much praise for something they just decided they would do on the spur of the moment, I'm sure our kids think we are all looneys :wacko:.
WELL DONE NED :applaud :excellent , even though you probably don't know just what a big step you have taken :D .

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users