Photo

Medication For Adhd. Start Now (Before Assessors Visit)?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stomachinmouth

Stomachinmouth

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hiya. We have, after a loooooong battle, been granted an EHCP but it's being drafted now. My son needs meds (recommended by a psychiatrist) but we don't know whether to start that now or wait until he's had his assessments - they'll be going in to school to get fresh assessments before our next tribunal over the content of the EHCP.
If we use medication and it is effective, we risk school saying he's fine and not getting the support we need. Don't we? His teacher is new to him so they're only just getting a grasp of things. But now we've come this far, I'm desperate to get things sorted, too!

#2 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

The things you have to do eh?

If that was me I would be seriously considering waiting as you will need all the help you can get.

I remember our fab LSA we had at my sons previous school joking with us to keep him up all night and feed him smarties for breakfast lol.

Seriously though it would be best for them to see him at his worst and the meds may well mask some difficulties.

#3 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

I agree, the worse he is on the day of the assessment the better, remember even though they are meant to understand that our children have good and bad times they will only go by what they see on the day especially given that this is because of a tribunal, they will use anything not to give the help he needs.
I remember when J was observed , one of the thing's that really got them was even though it was cold, as soon as J went out into the playground he took his shoes off to run around in just socks (he hates shoes)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users