9 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie123

Debbie123

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and thought I may be able to offer some guidance albeit little in relation to DAMP Syndrome.

My daughter was diagnosed about 6 years ago and is almost 18 now. DAMP stands for:-

D - Deficits/Disorder
A - Attention (ADHD)
M - Motor Control (Dyslexia/Dyspraxia)
P - Perception (Aspergers Syndrome).

As many will know there is very little documentation, help, support for children with DAMP. The easiest way (if you can call it easy) to find out about DAMP is to research/read/look at the individual elements that make up DAMP ie dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD and Aspergers. Some children may have one or more of these elements taking over others at any one time. Usually I can tell by my daughter's reaction which element I'm dealing with, sometimes one is more prevalent than the others, sometimes I'm dealing with the whole lot at once!!!

Children with DAMP tend to target one of the parents, usually the mother. I used to laugh when told this as my daughter didn't do anything to corroborate this but boy is she making up for lost time!!! By making yourself aware of the individual components, you can be armed to deal with any potential outbursts and more importantly be ready for any negative comments etc that inevitably come from family members, schools etc. It's so easy for children to be labelled as badly behaved, naughty etc as they can't see beyond the behaviour. DAMP comes under the umbrella term of Autistic Spectrum Disorder and I always use an example of Tourettes Syndrome (which is on the same spectrum) and ask doubting Thomas' do you expect someone with Tourettes Syndrome to be able to control their tics, swearing and spitting. The answer is no, well as far as I am concerned children with DAMP can't control their outbursts etc.

Hope this helps a little bit. Again, as with most conditions some children will be more affected than others. If I can help in any way, let me know, happy to answer questions, don't be afraid to be honest as I know one mum who described her daughter (more severe than mine) as being "evil". She wasn't being nasty but I know exactly what she means as children with DAMP can have a very nasty vindictive streak which can put themselves and others in danger. Don't be afraid of what you learn, although it's not nice to deal with, at least if you arm yourself with knowledge (which you're doing anyway on a day to day basis living with a child with this condition) then you are better prepared to help your child, be one step ahead as and when you need to be - which is all the time.

I am conscious whilst typing this about the "negativity" element attached to DAMP. We knew something was wrong with our daughter when she was about 3 and had no idea what we were dealing with or the effect it was going to have on her and the rest of the family.

Unfortunately as there is very little information on DAMP, I have learned through experience and uphill struggles and if I can offer any help or support to anyone else going through a rough patch, then I'm happy to do it.

Once you begin to find out about the individual components, it becomes clearer as to what your children are doing and why. I used to think if only I knew what was wrong I could help her, how wrong was I. Sometimes I feel completely isolated and unable to help. I've been told there is no cure and as she gets older she'll get worse and was left to get on with it. People have never heard of it which is fine, but not when they are making judgements which can affect the rest of their lives ie DLA.

Deb

PS If any information contained in this information causes any distress then I apologise. DAMP is surrounded by an awful lot of negative elements, both in dealing with the condition itself and dealing with other people's ignorance/lack of knowledge/lack of awareness.
  • Jolly Roger, Frillitle, Sacsovzc and 1 other like this

#2 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

Interesting thanks.

I have all the DAMP aspects apart from the 'A' (attention) so I guess that means I don't have DAMP :)

Interesting read all the same.
  • Sacsovzc likes this

#3 Stiggy

Stiggy

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

Very interesting it all sounds quite familiar to me .

#4 Serenity2

Serenity2

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

Oh, my mother would probably say that is me, LOL, but, the evil streak is my sister. But my mother may disagree and my kids don't think I am horrid. So maybe they grow out of some of the nasties :) hopefully.

I do have all the DAMP traits, so ya betta watch it you lot okay, :angry: :whistle or else, just teasing !!

I am a good girl I am, I promise!! Ssshhh !!

:hugs2:

I just found this link http://www.chw.edu.a...heets/dampj.htm

As this is the first time I have heard of it. No doubt the first for some of you too.

Hxx

Edited by Hallyscomet, 28 July 2009 - 12:38 PM.

#5 miss-understood

miss-understood

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

I have never heard of it either.

very interesting

#6 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

I hadnt heard of it either but it makes interesting reading.

#7 happymonday77

happymonday77

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Apart from P we have all the others in this household, we must be the DAM family! *Slides away sniggering at self and the irony of life.*

Sounds like you dd has it tough. xx

#8 Prof.AlanFHarrison

Prof.AlanFHarrison

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Like Debbie,  I'm new to the site and thought I would offer a webpage in relation to DAMP Syndrome.  I run  the Carer World site which is aimed at being a one-stop database of carer resources.  

The page arises from my contact with someone caring for a DAMP sufferer.  I hope others will suggest where else on this site to point her to as well as posting useful info, links etc.

The page is here  http://carerworld.yo...te.com/damp.php  

Best wishes.

Alan F Harrison (Prof)

#9 donjalina79

donjalina79

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hi my son has just been diagnosed with this and there isn't a lot of information or help out there at the moment we have just been given the diagnosis and told to get help from school for his issues at school, been discharged and told to just basically get on with it. Not really sure if i'm doing the right things at home to help him plus also have a 12 year old daughter who is having issues and struggling to cope with how my son is at home. Feeling really overwhelmed at the moment and scared i'm failing was wondring if anyone knows of anyone i could talk to for a bit of advice.

Thanks.

#10 Elizabethr

Elizabethr

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

I've never heard the term til now. My son had severe gastric reflux, leading to aspiration syndrome due to low muscle tone / failure to thrive bf the age of two, surgery, etc. He didn't meet normal motor milestones, no speech that was understandable until age 3 or 4, etc. basically, all we did was treat symptoms and deficits. He had ot and speech therapy daily for early childhood - he went to early childhood play groups, a special preschool program with individual educational protocol at age three, normal kindergarten following with services in ot and speech both at school and privately and was medicated in first grade for ADHD. He's quirky on the spectrum though not diagnosed until age 12 for that piece - still gets OT and makes progress with help. Academically, he is doing well. He's definitely an outsider and not unhappy for it - I seem to do the worrying about lack of friends. He is anxious about a boatload of other stuff. His first diagnosis was extended dyspraxia then language disorder then ADHD then atypical anxiety disorder then PDD. The diagnoses change or, more accurately, accumulate, but I feel like the only thing I've been able to do is focus on his areas of strength and weakness - build and remediate and enjoy the personality he has in spades - labels help with insurance in the US. That's about their only use in the long run. :)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users