41 replies to this topic

#31 MAA2G

MAA2G

Jo - MAA2G

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

The FB site is a closed group, anyone can see the group and who's in it, but only members can see posts. So the only people able to read the posts in there are the ones added, invited and accepted, granted we have to trust what people are in there and hope that none are "spies", but no friends out side of that group can see your posts., all they can see if that you are a member if they were to click asdf fb

I like the See Me Not My Illness part of this forum, I think it works to an extent, the only flaw I can see is that any LEA, SS, Dr, etc can sign up, register and peek in on you if they know your situation and are aware you are here, just as they could on the FB page though under any registered name.

No where apart from Private Messages is safe in essence, unless we can come up with a part of the forum that needs an id/log in code after you've reached a certain amount of posts and become a "valid" user, but then we should all be valid users regardeless of how many posts we've acheived. It's a sad state of affairs where we can't air out views and seek advice without being spied upon and picked apart.
  • imperfect parent, lozyoragoky and brandluxuryabf like this

#32 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

We can look into having a section of the forum where members above say 100 posts can post. There are drawbacks to that too, of course. People only find us through what is posted in the public domain - and you know how important it is that people do find us when they're desperate :)

It may be worth altering the 'See Me forum' to fall into that category. But as you've said, that has its cons as well.

Even in a closed group in FB, people who have less secure personal settings can inadvertantly reveal things beyond the group - but it's up to each individual to decide what they are and aren't comfortable with. FB has the disadvantage that real names are used. Here, we're mostly in the public domain, but do encourage anonymity.

I agree that nowhere is totally safe online - but then none of this was here at all when we were going through tribunal and desperate, so things are definitely on the up :) I'm mostly very glad that people can get the support and in the main aren't being spied upon.

#33 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

:Duh: The other way I could have done the update was to get others to PM me their home email addresses. I'll do that next time to save the mods' time.

And I'll admit it was hearing that some LEAs are putting friends requests on Facebook that made me so wary of a potentially public update.

#34 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think it would be really good to have a section on the forum for updates and such that is very secure. I think its a lot better than facebook and also means those people who follow others stories and help out (such as IP's case) can go to one place to see how things are going. Facebook can get lost with serious and comical, fun posts and have a lot of activity to sift through.

BUT if there was a section on here it would be time consuming to set up. I think it would need to be +150 posts (minimum).

I don't think it should be the see me not my illness forum because that is for carers to offer other carers support and if this new section was created I feel it would be very popular and the needs of a carer might get lost in it with the needs of the ASD child taking over - carers need that space to talk when they are having hard time.

But as much as it might be hard work to set up I do think it would be used and very much appreciated. Don't get me wrong I like the Facebook group but I (and others mentioned in chat the other night) it can be very hard to follow and tie real names to forum names if you dont go on the forum much. Plus I liked the Facebook group more when it was light-hearted and people could share nice things and photos. It was almost an escape from ASD and the forum for some who needed a boost. I think it would be good if it could be a bit more like that again.
  • imperfect parent likes this

#35 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Would it be possible to give all members the ability to "add others" to their PMs ?

That would mean anyone could set up the same arrangement as Busy Knitter used for Ip's post.

Not ideal, but at least it would help with keeping things private.

#36 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

I don't know about the adding others thing, Caci. Got no objection to it in principle, but I need to look and see how it's set up. I didn't deliberately select just the mods to have that ability (I don't remember it being an option at all, to be honest) so I don't know if it's an option we have any control over. With being away on holiday, that's going to have to wait until I get back. I've got decent signal tonight, but in the main, I'm just checking in on my phone at the moment. It's hard enough to get to the forums without trying to access the control panels :lol:

Setting up another forum - can be done and beyond the initial set-up wouldn't be a big hassle. We're just going to have to be careful that only seriously confidential things end up in there, not everything! It really is important to people looking for help that most things are findable. You'd be amazed at some of the ways that people arrive here!

Can I say, 'leave it with me' and I'll do some proper looking into this once school restarts?

#37 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yep Miss Mac, have a holiday!! I will remind you in September :)

#38 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Miss Mac.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday, "see" you soon.

#39 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Once we have a resolution I will update on the main forum, just at the moment we feel a need to keep our cards close to our chest wile getting views and support from others.

Some of the information I've found on this site is proving very useful to us.

#40 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Actually if people have an obscure enough user name (Ichanged mine cos the earlier one would have been easy to work out) and are cagey with where you are and children's names etc then a LA or SS shouldn't really be able to work out who we are....

I think a 'more secure' forum might be an idea but like MM says just for really confidential things ..... also I worry that by having people to a pm we can add up being a bit 'cliquey' with certain groups of people knowing things and not others....

One of the things I like about ASDF is that it is open to everyone - we are all different, all different experiences but support each other. My experience of 'in the flesh' support groups is horrible as T swears at everyone and sometimes hits them and we are no longer welcome.... the other parents even blank me in the street - it has left me scarred for life and I like that its not like that here...

Here everyone is equal adn just as important adn I want it to stay that way!!

Miss Mac you enjoy your holiday now : )
  • Kadenza and Tangled like this

#41 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

I have to say I agree completely with PQ, especially about the possibility of the forum becoming too cliquey.

#42 lennie len

lennie len

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts
  • Interests:Art,painting,making costumes,gardening,being outside,observing<br />tra la la,music,yamaha keyboards,ferrets and cats,and probably more :)

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hope you're OK IP :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users