Photo

How To Let People Know Your Child Has Autism

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

I agree with Mozzy. In the right environment, you would never spot she has autism.

Wrong environment it will slap you right in the face - literally!

• Jolly Roger and Frillitle like this

#47 maximus prime

maximus prime

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Lucy was diagnosed with autism at two but even Autism Outreach couldn't spot her in her class or on the playground and the Ed Psych needed to be shown who she was but a parent who has two boys with autism herself spotted it although it isn't general knowledge in the playground.

There are a few children with ASD in Lucy's school and I can pick them out on the playground mostly, I could also see that the "naughty" boy who used to be in dd's class was in fact an undiagnosed AS child.

• Jolly Roger and Eggman like this

#48 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

...but even Autism Outreach couldn't spot her in her class or on the playground and the Ed Psych needed to be shown who she was but a parent who has two boys with autism herself spotted it...

LOL - why am I not surprised about that? 

It can be very difficult to spot autism when looking at people, unless you are 'in tune' with it. Then it is blindingly obvious. I've been saying for years that people who work closest with those with autism are the best at spotting it, and I once heard Dr Luke Beardon say the same thing in a seminar at Sheffield Hallam University.

But the professionals who make the Dx tend not to be the ones who work or live closely with people with autism, so they have to follow the various diagnostic criteria and that usually takes between 25 and 35 hours of time spread out between various professionals in making observations, writing, sharing and reading reports, having case conferences and chasing down gaps in earlier observations. In order for the process to be accurate and professional, it has to be meticulous and very time consuming.

In my opinion (based on my experience), diagnosis 'on the fly' is more accurate the "lower" down the functioning scale you go - with the more high functioning children there is a tendency to think that children with Attachment Disorder or some of the more complex behavioural disorders are actually on the spectrum. This isn't necessarily a problem - as long as the chosen autism intervention isn't contra-indicated for the actual problem the child has.

#49 madferretlady

madferretlady

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:reading, ferrets, weeding - can't really call it gardening, puzzles, staying sane

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

we do an awful lot of learning from mistakes don't we! After a melt down in a cafe because they were out of the one thing my son always ate I learned to check it was still on before we sat down. But as someone said above you cannot possibly plan for every eventuality. Sometimes comments and looks hurt more than others - it depends alot on how I am feeling myself. When my then 5 year old son elbowed past a woman on a boat trip in a panic to catch up with his older sister she said very loudly to her companion that children these days needed to learn manners - I was too mortified to do or say anything, but it spoiled my afternoon. Nowadays I am usually not so fragile - since then I have another ASD/ADD daughter and a very ADHD son - so I have had to toughen up!

• Jolly Roger likes this

#50 lennie len

lennie len

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts
  • Interests:Art,painting,making costumes,gardening,being outside,observing<br />tra la la,music,yamaha keyboards,ferrets and cats,and probably more :)

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

If I feel like it, if the eyes are questioning the behaviour, I tell the ones that are questioning with their eyes "they are doing this because X happened, and they weren't expecting it, they can't tolerate the noise, it's making them anxious etc etc".

8 times out of 10, people are understanding, and some say "oh yes, I saw a programme on the TV/ my nephew has autism/ ooh yes they don't like change etc".

Had a classic one when middle boy head butted a brick wall because the bus that was late was full, people were standing and we (family of 5) and others at the bus stop could not get on due to no room. 

Concerned older lady was staring at him, I stopped him from further wall banging and he started pulling hair out, which I could not stop, nor console him (he was wailing) so I told the woman who was looking why he was doing what he was doing, and she understood, because her grandson was also on the autism spectrum.  

With it being, what is it now, 1 out of 68 with ASD, most folk on the street, in the supermarket/ restaurant have some understanding. 

Having said that, restaurants/ cafes are not on the menu with middle boy due to past experiences, it's one thing him exploding in the street, or somewhere we're not confined to for long, but not in an eaterie where he's expected to sit for some time, and then wait for food to cool down.- I avoid it, which is not healthy, but less stressful for the family.

#51 Melly1

Melly1

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:reading, gardening, swimming, seeing friends, surfing net

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

Hi, I've done the Makaton thing, make a point of using written communication with S in an exagerated fashion, made comments outloud for the public's benefit etc

I have noticed folk often take their lead from my reaction i.e. on days when I'm feeling more stressed their reactions are more negative and on days when i'm more chilled their reaction is too ...

I think it was hardest when S was a teenager; when he was younger he was pretty cute, now he is older it is more obvious that he has difficulties, when he was a teen folk assumed he was trouble/rude etc

Melly1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users