#1 littlewren

littlewren

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:arts and crafts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi we received a letter today saying the ed psych would be arranging to see harry at school and talk to his teacher. Can anyone give me some info on what happens/what role if any we will have? I dont really understand why this is happening instead of the ados (unless that comes later) as he doesn't present his problems in school like he does at home.

I'm just panicking because the school is so anti the possibility of anything being wrong with him and it could be the end of any chance of diagnosis. :(

Thanks in advance

#2 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:01 AM

Make sure you ask to meet with the EP afterwards. This is really important as it will give you the opportunity to rebuff any of the comments the teacher has made.

Make sure you also put this in writing. You usually get a form to sign to give permission for EP to come into school. Write on here that you want to meet with EP afterwards.

County take the EP's comments quite seriously so it's important you try and get your points across.

Edited by Eggman, 20 February 2015 - 06:03 AM.

#3 littlewren

littlewren

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

Thanks eggman that's interesting to know and I will make sure I do. :)

#4 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

If possible make contact with the EP before the visit.

School did not bother to tell the first EP that DS was being assessed for a social communication disorder. When we saw her afterwards, she remarked that the assessment would have been much more useful if she had been told that in the first place. She thought she was looking at a 'normal' child with behaviour issues, not an ASD one trying to cope with sensory overload!

#5 littlewren

littlewren

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

Thank you apricot. What you said applies to us as he is being seen as having a social communication disorder so it wouldnt hurt to find out exactly what they will be looking for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users