• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tangled

Tangled

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, exercising.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

Hi

DS1 has been on Melatonin (slow release Circadin) since Christmas. He went up from 2 to 4mg after a bit as it wasn't working very fast. Again it doesn't seem that effective - he takes it at 8pm, goes to bed at 9pm and reads till 10pm - can still be awake quite a while after this though.

He has had a few nights where he has had a break but hates to do this as he hates lying there awake. I just wondered what doses people are on and if we should get it increased. We also wonder if he should be on just normal release melatonin as once he is asleep he normally sleeps through - it is getting off which is hard.

Many thanks

Tangled xx
  • Frillitle likes this

#2 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

J is on 3mg every night and it work brilliantly for him. He is asleep about an hour after taking it.
Due to the cost of melatonin we have tried circadian as our GP refused to prescribe bio melatonin, I was willing to try as the cost difference is huge, initially he was on 2 mg which had no effect so he was increased to 4mg which was okay at getting him to sleep but he woke up many times during the night.
When we saw CAMHS psychiatrist we mentioned that it was not as good as the melatonin and she decided to take back the prescribing so he is back in melatonin so he is sleeping well now.

I was surprised at the results as I would have thought slow release Circadin would work at keeping him asleep, the only thing I can thnk of is that the Circadin never sent him into a deep sleep whereas the bio melatonin sent him into a deeper sleep so his brain relaxed enabling him to stayed asleep.

#3 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

Thanks MCL - I will have to discuss it with his Psychiatrist - it is prescribed by him (at CAMHS). It is interesting as I didn't want to ask to change just in case he then started waking in the night (but this has never been a problem). I feel a bit reassured reading your post that this is unlikely to happen. It does sound odd that J woke in the night with Circadin but what you think might happen makes sense.

I hadn't realised there was a difference in the cost (I had heard there was a short supply of melatonin a while ago and had wondered if that had anything to do with being prescribed circadin) - probably the cost thing though! I had also read that if you crush circadin it is no longer slow release (as it is the coating) - no idea but wouldn't this, if it is true, eliminate the cost issue?? I will make enquiries!

Thanks again :-) xx

#4 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

T is on 10mg circadin a night - works well but will often refuse to take it at home

#5 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

Thanks PQ, there is def scope for a dose increase then! :-)

#6 Raven8473

Raven8473

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Having recently been given Bio melatonin for our 4 1/2 year old we were told by the Ped this will only assist with that initial going to sleep, if the child wakes up after taking and falling asleep with the medication then the drug it has no further use. we are on 3mg tablet every 24 hour period.

So takes it at 7:30pm and hopefully fast alseep by 9pm. Last night he woke up at  at 11pm for no real reason and was awake for further  1 hour  laughing and running drinking water  till he got tired again

#7 mckenngp1

mckenngp1

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Life is hectic so I seek solace by running in the rain or locking myself in the bathroom with a good book.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

Hi my dd has taken circadin 6mgs for some months now. Her cahms dr instructs me to crush 2 tablets and give them to dd 1/2 before bed and for her to swallow one whole. He made sure I understood this is not the licensed way to do this (but then again circadin is only licensed for elderly folk for insomnia that's why gps generally can't px it )but it makes the long acting tablets behave like the fast acting liquid. He told me he cannot px the liquid due to cost and this is how he works around it. She went from taking 2-3 hours to fall asleep to about 10-20 minutes. Hope I don't get shot down in flames for posting this.

#8 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hi my dd has taken circadin 6mgs for some months now. Her cahms dr instructs me to crush 2 tablets and give them to dd 1/2 before bed and for her to swallow one whole. He made sure I understood this is not the licensed way to do this (but then again circadin is only licensed for elderly folk for insomnia that's why gps generally can't px it )but it makes the long acting tablets behave like the fast acting liquid. He told me he cannot px the liquid due to cost and this is how he works around it. She went from taking 2-3 hours to fall asleep to about 10-20 minutes. Hope I don't get shot down in flames for posting this.

All sounds like common sense to me - I might mention it to our Psychiatrist next time I see him as quick release would be better for my son xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users