Jump to content


Where Now?

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vodkalass


    Part of the furniture

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Telford

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

Hi, Can anyone help. Have been looking at residential collages for T. The one we wanted had filled the space because the LEA took so long to agree with us that he needed this. We have been to see a few & 1 looked promising but have now said that they can't meet his needs. He is very complex & at the moment he is off the scale with his behaviour. He is so unpredictable, 1 sec he can be calm & relaxed the next so volitile & abusive, verbally & physically. Everyone is saying how well we are coping but we are not & no matter how many times I have said it nothing changes.


Social services have withdrawn thier support (not that she did much) All CAMHS do is mess around with his meds which normally just makes things even more worse.


A friend has suggested asking for a care, education & treatment review. Has anyone gone through this & what else is out there if no educational place will take him.


Thanks for any advice


#2 apricot


    Old as the hills

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Cambridge
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

I've not found anything useful for the post-16 out of education round here.

There are a couple of charities which provide day-time activities.

These seem to be the ones that used to cater for the socially able but learning disabled (e.g. Down's) but because the funding streams for those relatively easy clients dried up, they've re-badged themselves as catering for autism. But when you get past the glossy web sites, it's the same terrifically well-meaning middle-aged ladies offering cooking, gardening and handicrafts.

DS flatly refused to get involved and I agree with him - this sort of adult day-care is worse than nothing.


Education should be able to put a bespoke package together. I've seen packages involving a bit of literacy and other stuff coordinated through our local college. Things like helping out at the local animal sanctuary, walking the dogs etc, but it very much depends on the quality of your special needs officer and whether they are interested in helping you sort something out or not.

#3 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

    How many posts? Get a life!

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

I agree with Apricot, a bespoke package is needed.  We had no joy with our LA, what they claimed to be a bespoke package was a limited provision that changed only when they wanted it to, and had the opposite effect on DS to the stated aim.  However if you can get the right package it will help.


It may be worth looking again at colleges as many have changed their approach as they are getting fewer of the more able pupils and more of the more challenging pupils leading to a change in provision.  One I have been to see now does more on site and less access to mainstream.  It wouldn't have suited DS if it hadn't changed approach, but it is now a possibility.


Mean while you could also try a bespoke package from SS to support him while there is no education in place; the trick seems to be not to let the LA escape their responsibility, though that is easier said than done.

#4 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

    How many posts? Get a life!

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

We were where you are, it is an awful place.
I emailed the person in charge of our council citing how we were not coping and how we were receiving no support, I think it helped as we had been told before that none of the council support workers had the ability to cope with J's behaviour but after my email funds were 'found' to pay for an external company to come in for 8hours a week, not a lot but meant my DH and I could actually go out together (we opted for four hours twice a week usually) .
Also try contacting Mencap as they have family liaison people who can help as they know who to contact for the best result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users