• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tangled

Tangled

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, exercising.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:44 AM

Hi

I just wondered if any of you have experience of you children having an MRI scan? DS1 has to have one next week to look at his wrist - they thought he had fractured it in A&E but when the consultant had fresh x-rays he says there is no visible fracture. Wrist still a bit sore after 2 weeks so he wants to be certain no other damage before he lets DS1 remove the splint.

I have let the MRI unit know in advance that he has ASD and may become anxious. The lady I spoke to said it takes about 20 minutes and if he takes a CD he can have music on. He isn't very good at keeping still!!

I'm unsure whether to tell him in advance about 'going into the machine' as he might get worried about it or just to go and let him find out on the day (this often works better with him).

Anyway, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Tangled xx

#2 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

No experience to offer, and I can't remember how old your son is either, however, would it work to talk before hand about Space ships, Dr Who type machines etc ?

It may scare him more than a straight forward explanation, but thought I would mention the idea, as it is something I would try with a NT child

#3 lucyoh

lucyoh

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:19 PM

My son has had an mri. Depends on what it is for that you can be sometimes be present but behind a screen. It needs to be put in as a suggestion on then referral that he has asd with anxiety and you might need to be present in room my gp did this.

They will also re do until it is clear, as they can see it there and then behind the screen and will say keep still. They give earphones then they play music and say instructions. Then only thing is it  can be really noisy like a drill sound, which I would prepare him for.

Any questions inbox happy to help.

My son had mri on knees. Took over 30 minutes I didn't go in, but it was on form, they said before hand they would try him without me, which I had prepared him for and would get me if needed.

I have also had an mri so can speak from experience too.

If going fully in I would say it can be claustrophobic so close your eyes before hand and breath slowly.

I also didn't say it too far in advance; he knew he needed an mri. So I explained it was a machine that took pictures in 3d of his knees so we knew what the problem was. That was when he was told by dr what he needed further tests.

Then we waited and waited.

Then I got letter with appointment but didn't say anything as he worries. 

A few days before sat down and discussed it. Drew pictures etc he asked questions etc.

Then on the day I said it might be noisy but to close eyes and listen to instructions as not worry all those days about it all.

#4 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for both replies - he is 12 - I think going for a scientific explanation will probably be best.

I hadn't even thought about if I could be in the room Lucy so that's good to think about - he went off ok for the x-rays with the nurse but obviously they don't take long. Telling him to close his eyes is a good idea too.

When we told his drumming teacher (he has been having theory lessons whilst he can't drum) he said "oh, is that where you have to go inside the machine" or something so he knows about that now anyway - I have explained it doesn't hurt and that you have to just keep still!

I'm feeling confident that he will be ok - but you just never know what might trouble him! Fingers crossed anyway!!

#5 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hi Tangled, I very recently had an MRI scan.

I am a very fidgeting person and the only thing I found difficult was keeping still but mine took 40 minutes. I also had a dye injected but I think that was because they needed clearer pictures of my uterus. Doesn't sound like something they would do for a wrist injury. They might place a little cage over his hand which is to give a clearer picture.

They put a hospital gown on me but if he doesn't wear anything that has metal (like zippers etc) I think he may be able keep his clothes on.

They put earphones on (to protect your ears as it's quite noisy although the noise didn't bother me) and then you go into the scanner which will make lots of mechanical type noises. Caci's idea about 'Dr Who' is really good to explain what it will be like.

I'm not sure if instructions will be given as it's just his wrist but they will talk to him and tell him what to do. They also placed in my hand a rubbery thing to squeeze on if I was feeling anxious to alert the medical staff.

I know that some children can be given a sedative to relax them so you could ask about this beforehand if you think it might be necessary.

#6 Melly1

Melly1

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:reading, gardening, swimming, seeing friends, surfing net

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hi S had an MRI scan in his early teens. I took him to visit the dept beforehand. The staff were great and took us to see the machine. They asked if he wanted to try it out, he wasn't keen so I lay on it to show him what to expect. I made him a social story about it which included a schedule and a treat at the end. On the day they let me accompany him in the scan room. He did great and didn't need sedation. He has classic autism.

Melly1

#7 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

Hi

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to get him to wear some jogging bottoms and a t-shirt. I think he really wants to get the scan done as the splint is annoying him now (he was refusing to keep it fastened for a while on Sat but I mnaged to persuade him that it is really imprtant!) - we are just hoping there is nothing wrong so he can get back to normal. So I am quite hopeful it will be ok. I will plan a treat for afterwards Melly - good idea!!

The bone the consultant is looking at is often not too painful even if it has been broken and takes a long time to heal as it has a poor blood supply (didn't know this until got the details of what they are looking at on the appointment letter). He is already bored so it will be a real pain f he has to have a cast on for a while.

Tangled xx

#8 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

Hi

I just thought I would let you know that the scan went fine (even though they kept us waiting over an hour and DS1 was gettign quite fidgety by the time he went in). He wasn't bothered about going in the machine (he had to lay face down with his arms out above his head so I think he did really well). I just waited in the chaging area in case he wanted me. His clothes were fine so he didn't have to change.

They told me if I phone the fracture clinic tomorrow afternoon I should be abe to get the result - I could be jumping ot conclusions but this did make me wonder if something is wrong and they want him to be seen quickly.

Thanks for all the help. xx
  • Kadenza and caci like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users