Photo

Waking Up During The Night... Increasingly More Often?.

4 replies to this topic

#1 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

Hi guys, hope Christmas went smoothly for you all. We had a lovely couple of days.

My question is sleep related and wondering if I can get some useful tips from you lovely ladies.

L has never been the best sleeper but generally settles when finally down for the night, recently however I found this not to be the case.

On the occasions that I wake up and check on him I have found him to have woken up and sitting on his iPad with headphones. Last night I tried to settle him back 3 times. This morning he was sound asleep with his headphones still on so he must have got back up again. I’m not sure how long it’s been going on for. I’m thinking most probably a while.

He tells me that it helps because sometimes he wakes up and feels lonely in his dreams?.

I’m not sure if that means he has nightmares or if he wakes up and gets scared when everyone’s asleep.

My question is do I take his iPad out at night to prevent him from doing this or will that just make everything worse. He doesn’t disturb anyone but himself presently...

He already uses music, night.ight and ceiling fan as part of his settling routine.

Tracky

#2 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

DS needs background noise (voices not music) to be able to sleep and that has got worse as he has got older.

My concern would be that L is actually playing games / chatting with other people while the rest of the house is asleep.

Can you provide the background noise via a different medium like a basic MP3 player. That way you are supporting his need for calming background noise but not allowing him more screen time. 

#3 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

As far as I know it’s just his usual programmes he’s watching as it’s an amazon fire and pin protected and no live so at least I know he won’t be at risk of talking to strangers during the night.

He puts his fan and music back on but it’s not enough, he needs the destraction because when he wakes he wakes from dreams apparently, these seem to disturb him even not necessarily nightmares. He generally does fall back asleep but on some occasions not able to because his mind is so active.

Thanks for suggestion apricot, we got audio Harry Potter for him for Christmas this year so I might try supplementing this, not convinced it will work but will give it a go.

#4 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Blue light from screens is a problem, and will delay him going back to sleep.  In our house we have no expectation that anyone must sleep, only that they be quiet and not use screens( they come off a couple of hours before bedtime).  In reality this means that they listen to music quietly without headphones and often read.  Anxiety prevents sleeping, and worrying about not sleeping just adds so something to occupy his mind is reasonable.  I'm not a fan of audio books because I often miss something vital and have to go back, give me a real book any day, but some people really enjoy them.

A chat before bed can be helpful too, just to deal with issues that come up, or resurface when they are not so occupied.

Routine is helpful, but neither of mine respond well to being woken, or pushed to get up and I've learnt to leave them unless it has been specifically agreed what time they will get up.

#5 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

Hi there.

I now try and remember to take all of LE's gadgets mobile phone, tablet etc out of his room at night as otherwise he does sneak them into his bed at night and keep himself awake. The temptation to do so is just too great for him.

I also try and remember to get him off all electronic devices at least an hour before bedtime as it does make it harder for him to fall off to sleep otherwise I find.

Instead I get him to do a bit of reading before bedtime and this helps.

Like you he doesn't really disturb anyone else but it's not good when he has to be up at 6.20am to get ready for school every morning.

I've even started to minimise the amount of gadgets we have left on in our bedroom and I've found that I am sleeping much better since doing this.

Edited by queen claudia, 03 January 2018 - 11:16 AM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users