163 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

As some of us have been around for nearly 8 years ( :blink: ) I thought it might be nice to have a reintroduction thread so some of the newer members can get to know some of the older members without trawling back through years of posts.

So, I'm Miss Mac. I'm in my 30s, share a birthday with Yorkie (Cancerians Rock!), and have been married to Grumpy Old Man for 17 (!) years. We met at university, when he came free with a pizza.

I have three fabulous children.

Little Madam is NT. She's 13 next week and is going into Y9 in September. She's totally fab (although you have to hate the 5'7" and size 6 part of her), very patient with her brothers and style-icon in the making. She has been given a free boarding place at her school in the past, due to severe sleep disruption at home, but currently she's back home with us and we're loving it.

Little Nutter is severely autistic and 10 years old. He was completely non-verbal until he was about 6, odd words until he was 7, and now talks in scripts (to much comic effect). My favourite currently is him telling people who annoy him to "Go forth and multiply!" He's now continent during the day and picking things up fast. He's unlikely to ever live independently, and destroys the house on a regular basis, but is very cool with a great sense of humour. GOM works hard to get him beyond his comfort zone, only to be told: "Ho ho ho, nice try, Daddy." Obsessions are trains and penguins.

Tiny Flirt is currently 7. He's a bright kid who is interested in everything. He loves history, Dr Who and anything gross and disgusting. He also has a long line of girls (and grown women) swooning over him. They have formed an orderly queue. He's strawberry-blonde and is single-handedly making ginger cool.

As for me, I'm a very proud mum but also work hard to maintain the status quo of a career. I'm head of a faculty in a large comprehensive school and also work for a national exam board. I've had all sorts of 'hats' on in the past - from wine waitressing in posh hotels as a student to working for BBC Bitesize. I love teaching 98% of the time and can't imagine life without working with so many brilliant young people and in SUCH a great school. My current 'babies' are heading into Y11 and I'll be devastated when they leave. I'm at the crossroads now at looking at Assistant Head jobs or taking my career down a very different route altogether.

I write novels a lot in my spare time, and this has led to me taking an MA in creative writing. I'm currently half-way through it, and lots of people here have been subjected to my first ever (and probably only) screenplay. I'll finish this in a year's time, so you can all brace yourself for novel-reading, as it's 60% of my marks this year!

When I'm not doing all that, I love chillin' at the beach hut and have recently discovered a love for cocktails and trashy romance novels. I admin here, and try and coax my ME into not giving up on my somewhat chaotic life.

So that's me. How about you?
  • Frillitle, Jalgrerce, GeorgydfSr and 5 others like this

#2 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

My turn, eh?

I'm an argumentative geek.

For most, that's the perfect summary, but I'll add a few more details.

In a previous life I was an RE and Philosophy teacher in the sort of schools where "bad behaviour" meant wearing non-regulation socks and not fastening your top button.

When LN started school he arrived on his first day naked, screaming, urinating everywhere and smearing - you all know the picture. And what his school did for him was a miracle. I knew, as I watched him respond to his education, that I HAD to know how it was done.

The pressures of work, autism, moving home and an MA had made me ill anyway, and I was between jobs - so I worked in special schools for a while, first as a volunteer, then as a classroom assistant, then a supply teacher. Five years ago I became a permanent teacher in a special school with my own class and I have never once regretted it. Not once, in five years, has a single day gone to plan. My class of 11-14-year-olds are challenging, unpredictable and occasionally dangerous - but I love my job more than anything else I have ever done.

When I'm not writing IEPs and lesson plans for a class that includes children from LF to HF, I play strategy war games under a pseudonym and fly model helicopters. Yes, I know that sounds Aspie, but no, I'm not.

In September I start a second MA, this time in Autism Studies - I will be researching the differences in outlook and experience between parents and professionals.
  • Elizabethr likes this

#3 pipistrelle

pipistrelle

Embrace the clutter.

• The Moderators
  • 8,920 posts
  • Interests:Trying to sleep!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

I'm pipistrelle, just edging reluctantly into my 40's. I no longer work but in a previous life I started in the civil service then went to uni as a mature student and became a teacher, something I think would have had my school teachers spitting their drink on their keyboards reading that :angel

We had lil bat in 2002 and in a bid to reduce mortgage and to get free babysitting courtesy of my mum, we moved to SW Wales, currently winner of wettest summer in the UK for past 5 yrs :rolleyes:

Lil bat's details are in my sig line below. She'll be 8 yrs in a month and will soon be taller than me...eek!

I joined ASDF 4 yrs ago, something which I can honestly say was one of the best things I've ever done. I have no idea how I would have coped without this site. As a mark of endurance and "seeing as you're always on here anyway" ;) I was asked to join the mod team recently. Something I feel very privileged to do.

I'm also a FB addict and blaming my good friend for developing Ville OCD! I also am the happy keeper of 3 chickens (don't tell DH but hopefully will be at least 4 or 5 in the future :whistle )

That's about it really :blush:

#4 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

I also am the happy keeper of 3 chickens (don't tell DH but hopefully will be at least 4 or 5 in the future :whistle )

Shhhh! Me too ;)

#5 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

Chickens? You have chickens, MM?

:blink:

#6 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

You probably haven't noticed the dog, kittens or children either :whistle
  • Halo Mumma likes this

#7 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

Children?

:blink:

How the hell did that happen?

#8 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

They came free on Tesco Vouchers.
  • emmamoo likes this

#9 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

See?

I TOLD you that shopping would only lead to trouble! Didn't I? Didn't I?

Anyway, at least that explains the mess...
  • Halo Mumma likes this

#10 Twinkle

Twinkle

LEA Slayer

• The Moderators
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

I have not posted much lately so it might be an idea for me to do a synopsis too!:D

I am in my late 40’s, married with two children. My daughter is 19 and about to start at Uni this September. My son is 15 and has AS and is in an independent residential school which he loves. It was no easy feat getting him a place but worth every penny, every drop of blood, sweat and tears.

I have been mainly self-employed since my son started school as it was always a problem with employers and childcare. Recently I was offered the position of Financial Director by one of my previous clients so I too am back into studies this September for three years to get further qualifications. I actually love studying and with my daughter away for three years and my son home every other weekend, it is probably the most ideal time for me, save me becoming a total couch potato.

Talking of couches, I have just joined the “Couch to 5k” forum in the hopes that I can get fit, lose some weight and get my head and (hopefully toned):gareth body together. No mean feat at my age! I suppose that means the cigarettes will just have to go... but hands off my whiskey!:ninja: (or whatever alcohol I can get my hands on...).

I joined ASDf about six years ago, pre dx and got fantastic support when I really needed it the most and have made some truly wonderful friends and dare I say it, fun loving drinking buddies when we get chance to meet up!!:drunk

#11 Kimdim

Kimdim

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Im Kim i was 40 in November last year.
Im been married to Scott for 14 years he is an army veteran but is ill now due to the army he has PTSD and i look after him.

Im mum to Callum who is 14 my lovely gorgeous son he has dyspraxia and is getting tested for autism as well. He is due to have an operaton to have rods in his back as he has a 58 degree curve.

Im mum to Cameron my football mad son who is great as well he really looks out for Callum and is agreat brother to him. He is nearly 13 and is due to start second year of high school next week.

#12 Janey

Janey

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

I'm Janey and I joined after my son got his dx of Aspergers when he was 13.

I have 2 sons, the eldest is 21 and currently studying for a masters degree in Chemistry he starts his final year this autumn.
My biggest worry for him is that he feels he has to take the responsibility of his brother from us and no matter how much I assure him this isn't the case he still feels it.

YS is now 18 and has just taken his A levels and providing he gets his grades has an offer of a place at university.
This really is a step into the unknown for us, we have had minimal/no support through school which has been a catalogue of illegal exclusions and irate phone calls so if he gets there it will be interesting to see if things are any different.

Janey :)

#13 Yorkie

Yorkie

On the Stella!

• Admin
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Right then, I'm Yorkie, a very blonde, married mum of two. Ive often been described as calling a spade a fkn shovel, and I really do resemble that remark! I met Mr Yorkie through friends when I was 16, and have been with him now for 21 years, married for 16. He is my friend, my husband and the love of my life, as well as being the ultimate cheeky, annoying git who finds something to laugh about in every situation, as all who have met him will confirm. ;)

Little Fella who is now 11 and about to start secondary school. He is a gorgeous, bubbly, loud, smiley little charmer who loves anything with speed and wheels, especially F1 and Lewis Hamilton. His hobby is Karting and his lap time is now only 4 seconds slower than his Dad!. He has AS, Dyspraxia, Epilepsy and Pragmatic Language Disorder. He loves to perform, both on and off stage, and usually someplace innapropriate, although I personally dont see whats wrong with doing air guitar on your knees in the supermarket queue??? ;)

Little Lady is 9 going on 29 and is little blonde stunner. She is an absolute joy to have for 90% of the time, although she is currently perfecting the art forms of being hormonal, answering back and door slamming. We have few sibling battles with them, although when we do its an absolute humdinger! She loves singing and dancing, and has passed exams in both modern and tap. She's as much a tomboy as she is a glamour puss and enjoys mountain biking in the mud as much as having her toenails Minxed! We are sooooo lucky to have such lovely kids. :)

I worked in Banking for 20 years, initially in branches, but then as an inhouse tutor teaching the new kids how to add up! This was full time initially then p/t when the kids came along. With nothing left to stretch the grey matter, I qualified as a Nail Technician which also saved me an immense amount of money as I could then do my own acrylic extensions!

When that novelty wore off, I decided to qualify as a Teaching Assistant as I had realised at that point just how easy life would be if I had all school holidays off! Nothing to do with the fact that I had enjoyed teaching adults so much, or that we were at the beginning of Little Fellas school battles and that a sneaky peek of inside knowledge would be beneficial...... :whistle. I volunteered in a Special School with a class of 8 autitstic children and loved every minute of it, although I soon learnt to go in with old clothes on! My interest in SEN, and experiences of being a moderator on here led me to volunteer as an Independent Parental Supporter for our Parent Partnership. It was as much distressing as it was rewarding, as you could really get your teeth into helping another family battle the education system without being emotionally attached, yet it felt so awful to have a queue as long as your arm of others to help. :( The only voluntary work I do now is moderating on here, and attending local school and agency meetings with parents who are referred to me by our Paed!

3 years ago I was diagnosed with Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (currently being given a new title of Ehlers Danlos Type 3 apparently)and Fibromyalgia. I had to give up work a year ago after battling it out longer than I should have really. The prognosis for me is not good, but I make every day count in some way or another. I have good days and bad days, but ultimately I am blessed with amazing family and friends, none of whom I could live without.

Currently I'm debating whether or not to do a degree in counselling to while away the hours as Ive spent the last 10 years doing it for various people anyway! I did want to learn sign language, but with the tremors in my hands, I would have been stuttering whilst signing! :D I have made some lifelong friends on ASDf, and am fiercely protective of them all. We may not live that close to each other, but Im always looking forward to our next 'official' meeting...! :angel :whistle
  • Angela Knight and hazab like this

#14 loobyloonharibo

loobyloonharibo

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hey im laura aka Looby (25)and have 4 year old Harry aka Haribo on a good day :D

Were from southport NorthWest Uk.

Haribo is diagnosed with autism.. ive known from very very early on there was something but had to fight until this year to actually get him dx'd with anything including getting a privage dx aswell first...

Currently haribo is about to start reception in september which is were all the fun and games start i think
as he hasnt got 1-1 support put in place yet crikey.. So not looking forwward to it but we'll get there. He is a very very bright child not that im biased but have been told by proffessionals too.. Haribo has baffled most medical people that have seen him. I think he just likes to be different like his mummy lol He is obsessed well dont think obsessed actually covers it with the one and only Thomas the tank engine.... So my house resembles a thomas shop and probably will do for many more years to come (( joy ))

I currently dont work as ive just come through the other side of depression mainly due to 10 years of domestic violence from his dad.. Thankfully come out the other side of it and im fighting and hell of alot stronger for it
now. Although things arent easy and i dont know what is going to happen next as ive stopped all access now because of the threats..

Im now in a relationship with me mrs who i love massively as alot of you will of seen with my gushy status's on fb hehee.. But im majorly happy and she adores harry so i cant ask for more..

Cant think of what else to write lol probably bored you all as it is

If anyone ever wants a talk feel free to pm me anytime and if u want to add me on facebook just tyhpe in my username on here and hey presto you will find me x

Edited by loobyloonharibo, 11 August 2010 - 08:08 PM.

#15 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

I am 47 year's old - YIKES! My husband was my brother's best friend when I first met him when I was 14 year's old and he was 17. We had our first 'date' when I was 16 year's old taking our dog Sam out for a walk to the park lol!

We got engaged when I was 18 and stayed that way for the following 14 years until we eventually tied the knot when I was 32 year's old. We took my mum and his mum the Witnesses and only guests at our Registry Office wedding to a Little Chef afterwards and each of us celebrated with a Big Breakfast. Cost us £25 for the lot as I remember. Both mum's thought it was a hoot!

We are both from Liverpool but have moved around quite a bit following my dh career as a Software Engineer and me working as a PA in Liverpool Uni and then at Edinburgh Uni. We eventually settled in Hampshire and I've lived here for nearly 12 years now.

We pleased ourselves for many years never really wanting kids or even liking them very much (you're not supposed to say that are you) and bought a little boat on the Thames and enjoyed boating on inland waterways.

We felt like a bit of a challenge and a change so decided to try for a baby and that's when James came along when I was nearly 41 year's of age.

I remember looking at motherhood through VERY rose tinted specs so James wasn't anything like what I was expecting as you can imagine!

Despite the hard times my son is everything to us both and I have never met a child with such a joy of life.

Well that's me pretty boring I'm afraid! Well done if you got this far.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users