5 replies to this topic

#1 KarenAnn

KarenAnn

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

Hi there. My name is Karen, I live in Scotland and my 35 year old step daughter has just been diagnosed as ASD. This was no surprise to us and those who know her well. For her it has come as a relief although she is struggling a bit to take it all in.......overload of information etc. Unfortunately she has a "thing" about any form of social media including this type of forum and, we feel, she is missing out on a whole world of support..........she had a major meltdown when we tried to explain this to her. I am hoping to find ways of supporting her an us as we go through this journey together. She lives in her own flat and volunteers in a charity shop as she can't get work.

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,946 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

HI.  I used to work for a charity and had volunteers all of whom went on to paid work (totally unrelated to the voluntary work they were doing).

I'm wary of social media too, but forums like this allow for the sharing of info which is invaluable.  

#3 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Hope you can talk your step daughter round to popping by and saying hello.

This is the only forum I am a member of. Tried various others in the past but this is something special.

#4 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

Hi and Welcome to the forum look forward to chatting to you.

#5 Maverick

Maverick

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

Hi and welcome :-)

#6 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

Hello, there is support here for both you and your step daughter, my son is only 17 but also does not join anything on the computer, he spends all day playing games and tries to interact with other players, the biggest problem is that unless he finds a nice group some people can be very nasty and several times he had been very upset by comments made, it is almost as if they can sense he is 'different'. Could your step daughter have had a negative experience like this and be wary of it happening again ?
I can honestly say that I have never seen anything of that nature here, we may not always know how to help but it is sympathetic.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users