Photo

Severe Autism/gastro Problems, Suspected Crohns?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 louiseh

louiseh

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hi,

I havent posted here for a long long time just wonder if anyone has experienced any similar problems. I could write a book but will try and keep it as short as possible.

My son is now 13, has severe autism, non verbal. We started to have problems about 2 years ago, when he began changing from a settled, calm, happy child to a child that cried a lot and began to self harm which has escalated significantly.  He has lots of problems around food overeating, then not eating, requesting food then refusing it. He's been on various medications treating him for anxiety and depression, citalopram, fluoxtine, risperidone, sodium valproate etc none of which has improved things. He has a poor quality of life now does not enjoy any activites he previously did like trampolining, swimming and soft play all of these are now a trigger for him to become upset and self harm (nipping his body, headbutting walls and floors.)  Hes had a lot of bowel problems over this time, treated with movicol, sodium picolsulphate. His bowel was shown to be impacted at one point and he had a full clearout with picolax then he had an enema.  Ive been pushing all the time that I believe his sypmtoms are physical and recent blood and stool samples have indication infection in both so we are now been referred on to another paediatric gastroenterologist at a different hospital,the reasearch I have done is pointing me to suspect that maybe he has crohns.

Anyone had any simiae experiences?

Thanks in advance

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

My experiences are with high functioning individuals, but I think some of the things I've learnt may be reassuring.

Many meds affect appetite , and certainly risperidone  is known to affect appetite and cause weight gain.

My boys react differently to anxiety with one overeating and the other totally disinterested in food.

Illness impacts on anxiety levels and both will be very touchy even before they can verbalise that they feel unwell.

#3 louiseh

louiseh

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

thanks for that much appreciated x

#4 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

When I first posted I was thinking of my experience with my boys.  However DD is dairy and soya intolerant, and has been since a baby.  She was a miserable baby, but once we got the right info when she was 14 months and she was put on an elimination diet by a sympathetic paediatrician it was like someone had swapped her for another toddler.  The effect was stunning.  Don't underestimate the misery that food intolerances can cause.

#5 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

Loads of allergies here, Coeliac disease plus inflamatory bowel disease. Wrong foods = mix of constipation and the runs = shitty mood and no energy.

Always worth having tests done if they are offered, if nothing more it rules things out. Good luck

#6 louiseh

louiseh

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Mozzy, we are waiting for tests trying to speed it up as hes deterioating before our eyes. had another trip to a and e yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users