22 replies to this topic

#1 Carrera74

Carrera74

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

Just an update fit those going through the application stage.

I sent ds application off to the dwp 16 weeks ago and I phoned atos yesterday to ask for an update as still hadn't received an appointment and I was advised that that they have carried out a paper based assessment and he doesn't need to be seems a a they used the information I provided plus they contacted people involved with his care. The very nice lady I spoke to advises that they are trying to avoid f2f appointments with cases like ours as they don't want to cause unnecessary stress given his diagnosis and age etc.

I just have to wait for the dwp to assess the report which I'm led to believe should be 3-4 weeks off.

Has anyone else had their outcome from the application? I have read it's better to have f2f but atos said the health practitioner follows the same questionnaire tick box and anything they can't answer they rang professionals for. I'll soon see :/
  • fireball and Frillitle like this

#2 Carrera74

Carrera74

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

Just another update.

I rang the DWP last week and was advised that I should receive the decision in approximately 4 weeks time.

I received a letter this morning from them which said they now have all the information they need to complete the assessment and apologised for the delay and I would hear from them once they had made their decision. Hmmm. Wonder how much longer it'll take.

Anyone else going through a pip application?

#3 Crazycaz

Crazycaz

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Old have you heard anything yet? AS I still have to do the pip for my two, son and daughter next year.  Problem is my 18 daughter HFA thinks she is normal.  She naturally tries to please others by pretending to be normal, but it comes with a huge price as she builds up anxiety and anger and I face it when she is with me  -with the  face to face assessments she will deny her problems .  My son is very autistic kanners non verbal but he too will have to go for a face to face assessment.   I  have heard that there are huge delays some claimants waiting over 12 months.  Apparently you can ask for home visit to do the assessment, but home visits are often cancelled because a number of professionals ie doctors who need to be there to process the assessment.  I am not going to ask a home visit as it often delays the application.  

http://www.benefitsa...nce-payment-pip

#4 Carrera74

Carrera74

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

ATOS completed a paper based review as they had enough information to complete the assessment without seeing him. I had provided copies of his statement which included professional reports too.

I received the notification of award yesterday. He has been awarded high rate care and mobility on an open award which will be looked at again in 10 years. I can't quite believe it!

All I can advise is to paint a full picture of how their needs affect them day to day. I went into detail on each question and probably repeated myself but you need to give the details so they can score you properly.
  • Snickas, Huwbert and Tangled like this

#5 caci

caci

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Oh WOW !!!  :D

What a relief for you, and it gives hope to the rest of us

Thank you for sharing your journey

• Carrera74 likes this

#6 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

I also went into lots of detail and had LOADS of evidence BUT have just been sent an appointment for the face to face interview , on a day when I absolutely can't make it - Sod's law.

The face to face assessment is with Capita . I feel sick

#7 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

We had a face to face assessment with Capita.  It took all of half an hour.  I didn't feel that the questions were particularly thorough, but the person doing the assessment was excellent with DS1, and made additional notes when I added what occurred to me as I answered questions..  The person was on time and found us without additional info, but did ring half an hour before the appointment.  DS2 answered, but was cut off after telling her I was out.  I was in fact parking, but couldn't ring back as the number was withheld, and the Capita paperwork doesn't have a number on it.

#8 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

IP did they come to you ?

#9 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Yes, it's easier for us so I didn't try to change the arrangements.  Likewise it was quite short notice, (6 days between letter date, and visit).  The health professional we had was a psychiatric nurse ( just happens to cover our area, but suited us down as she was very understanding.)

Don't know how long it will be before we get the result, apparently there is a backlog.

#10 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Spoke to the today to change the date (delivering staff training all day the day of the initial appointment) . We are not allowed a home visit as T can get aggressive :( , they could offer an appointment the day after tomorrow but I will need someone to go with us and not enough time to prepare T so said no - then they said no other appointments available , try and call again tomorrow or next week.......

I did say I wasn't sure I would be able to get him there - they said they couldn't do a desk top decision as they didn't have enough evidence but wouldn't tell me what was missing or what they needed. He was nice enough and I will try to get T there if I get an appointment - so we'll see ...

#11 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

I'd question the grounds of refusing a home visit; how can they have done a risk assessment without involving you and T?  Surely if he get aggressive with at home he could also get aggressive in an unknown office.

What do you think suits you and T best?

What happens if you can't get him there? ( not that they'll say because that would mean acknowledging how difficult it is for you)  It reminds me of when DS2 was school refusing, the LA EP would consider what we should do if I failed to get him to school as that would be admitting defeat; I thought I was being realistic.  We did fail, and apparently it was might fault because I didn't have confidence and I should have just been firm.  Grrrrrrr

#12 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Spoke to them again today - they have now changed their mind and WILL now do a home visit !! They are coming here on September 2nd now ! At 9 am - what fun lol.

I really don't know how this will go !

#13 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

Particularly poor timely for an ASD child in my view.  End of a long holiday with school imminent.  That's not a reason to reschedule, but a point worth mentioning.  Also the time would be no good for our DS1(DS2 would be in his element at that time, but DS1 likes his bed in the morning, and very often the afternoon if stressed though.

Start to make notes about the little things which send things off track, and make sure you mention them in the meeting just like you prepare for Annual reviews etc.

Topics covered included travelling, friends interests.  For us this led to communication issues and I had to note things as they came to me and mention them  the end.

As I said the whole thing took half an hour and was very much addressed to me, with DS1 able to comment and address answers via me when he felt able.  ( not often,but I've learnt to rephrase  questions for him, and how to get a reaction to what I say so I get a response from him.)  I hope  you are as lucky with the person who does yours becasue her calm and focused approach kept it on track and made it a more pleasant experience than it might have been.

#14 fireball

fireball

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Just an update fit those going through the application stage.

I sent ds application off to the dwp 16 weeks ago and I phoned atos yesterday to ask for an update as still hadn't received an appointment and I was advised that that they have carried out a paper based assessment and he doesn't need to be seems a a they used the information I provided plus they contacted people involved with his care. The very nice lady I spoke to advises that they are trying to avoid f2f appointments with cases like ours as they don't want to cause unnecessary stress given his diagnosis and age etc.

I just have to wait for the dwp to assess the report which I'm led to believe should be 3-4 weeks off.

Has anyone else had their outcome from the application? I have read it's better to have f2f but atos said the health practitioner follows the same questionnaire tick box and anything they can't answer they rang professionals for. I'll soon see :/

I sent my sons forms off at the end of may, not heard anything yet. Very worrying as he will tell them what they want to hear. Have you heard any more

#15 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Capita were due here at 9 am today but cancelled at 5 to 9 !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users