4 replies to this topic

#1 elastic

elastic

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Good afternoon folks! I applied for dla for my son last August. Initially we got low mobility and zero care. On reconsideration we then got awarded low care as well. Wept in for appeal and got a hearing date in April, but this was postponed with 2 hours notice. We now have a doctor coming out to us tomorrow and I am really nervous! As parents, we simply do what we have to do for our children, and take it in our stride so it's very hard to identify and admit the help we need, especially when we don't get it! I feel like a fraud, even though I know parenting this son is different to my other sons! It is made worse by the fact that it has taken so long. I have already given them volumes of information, so I don't really know what else I can say! Does anybody have any idea what I should be expecting from the visit?

Regards, Louise

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

Make a bullet point list to ensure you don't forget anything.  Tick off each point as it's discussed, and make sure you mention any left before the Dr finishes.If you have a copy of your original form have it where you can refer to it and make sure your bullet points cover all the areas of difficulty highlighted in the form.

The paperwork is not designed for autism, and it makes it very difficult to give a clear picture of the struggles you have.  Just keep calm and if your information is consistent you will have nothing to worry about.

Good luck

#3 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

Good advice above.

We didn't claim DLA for long enough because we found everything hard to categorise and quantify (we have now). good luck.

#4 elastic

elastic

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

Thanks guys! The Doctor has just left after being here for two hours. It was really emotional! It was like starting an application from scratch! The Doctor seemed pretty thorough, and perhaps our answers were more concise than on the original form. All we have to do now is wait, but we don't know how long!

#5 deannatrois

deannatrois

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

When I did the DLA form for my older son, it took so many hours and I am pretty sure I didn't really do it properly. Soemtimes you do wonder if you are whining about things you should be doing anyway for anyone.  I found it quite a difficult thing to do to list all the problems when you spend so much effort on being positive. It took 9 months, went to appeal and then he was awarded mid rate care and low rate mobility.

When I recently applied for DLA for my younger son, I got some help with the from from our local Kent Autistic Trust. She told me how to word things.  My answers were a lot shorter but more to the point.  I couldn't believe it, two weeks later he was awarded high rate care and low mobility.  I mentioned that he has toileting problems so that meant high rate care.  I had to phone to check the award was correct lol.

The extra money really helps me meet their needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users