"Why did nobody ever tell me this?"

195 replies to this topic

#1 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

Today I met a very nice lady whose job is training people about Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, and the challenges that you face when caring for and teaching people with those conditions.

She has thirty years of experience with autism spectrum and other learning/behavioural problems, and I have to say that when she speaks, she is fabulous. She knows her stuff, listens, and has an almost endless supply of examples, suggestions, sources of information and advice. And, just to put it into perspective, she teaches the NAS how to teach professionals... She is one of the leading TEACCH practitioners in the UK.

And when she speaks to professionals, there is absolutely no question that her sympathies are all for the children with ASD/Autism and their families & carers.

She hasn't done any workshop sessions for parents for a few years as she has been busy, but when she gives her advice to the parents they always respond with statements like, "But I can do this!" and "Why did nobody tell me this ten years ago?"

So over coffee this morning, I turned on the charm. :gareth (I knew that she would agree to absolutely anything to make me stop! :johntravolta: )

She has agreed, in principal, to a training session for ASDf members.

Here's my proposal:
  • We haven't settled on a price yet (teachers pay about 350-500 per person per day for this sort of training, and the NAS charges parents about 80 per day) although she was talking about much, much less than that for a voluntary group like ours. Whatever it costs, I think we should at least try to work something out.
  • I am going to give her a letter tomorrow formally asking for a price and a selection of dates next summer she can do; we will have to work out how to split that between interested people. We will have to cover her expenses, too.
  • MissMac's school has a conference room with facilities for up to about 60 people. She can try to blag that for free for a half term/late summer term session. If she can, that will save us hundreds of pounds. (If you know of other venues available gratis, do suggest them!)
  • If we get the same numbers as the York Meet last summer (about 20) then I reckon we could all club together for the best professional training currently available, a decent lunch, her travel expenses and hotel, and a huge bunch of flowers for her to take home. The more people we have attending, the better the price we can negotiate with her.
  • Then we can have a huge piss-up in York afterwards.
  • The dates will be up to her, but we are thinking of summer half term week (Monday 26th May to Friday 30th May) or a weekend towards the end of term.

Who is up for it? And can you tell me a preferred price that you would be comfy paying, and a price above which you just cannot go.

#2 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

Should add that the more people we get interested, the cheaper the price will be. I don't think this is going to work out to be madly expensive - if we open the doors to other places beyond ASDf, our aim would be to get it under the 20 mark, if we can.

#3 windy ginny

windy ginny

Miss Marple

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

ME! *sticks hand up*

eta - thank you for thinking of us!

Edited by windy ginny, 06 December 2007 - 07:06 PM.

#4 Mo

Mo

Biker Chick

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Can't remember but i know i am not forgetful

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

Does anyone work for a large multi-national that might be willing to provide some sponsorship toward this in their annual charitable donations.???

Second thought would be that it would realy need to be around the 30 tops mark for those of us that would also have to book accomodation, travel etc.
Third thought are we having a pro-rata rate for those on IS as their only income???

Having said all that it sounds like a great idea :excellent :excellent
All we have to do now is work together to pull it off ;)

#5 Mrs Potato Head

Mrs Potato Head

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

Count me in, sounds fab!

Now if I can just stop crying over spilt juice (yes literally!)

I will give the budget some thought.

MPH xxxx

#6 hev

hev

Well darlin', look out 'cause my hair is comin' down

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

Sounds really good. It is something that I would be very interested in.

hev

#7 fitzy

fitzy

onwards and upwards

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

Yes. Yes. Yes. Please that is.
Fiona x

#8 PAULYSMUM

PAULYSMUM

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

Definately count me in

#9 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

Does anyone work for a large multi-national that might be willing to provide some sponsorship toward this in their annual charitable donations.???

To qualify for that, we would need to be registered as a charity - and to register as a charity we need a regular cash income of (I forget exactly how much) something in the region of 2000 per year.

Catch-22.

The thing is, if we open it up to other groups, and can fill a 60-person conference room at 20 per person, then it would pull in 1200 - far more than it would cost. Since I am hoping I can persuade the trainer to do it for 200 plus expenses (say 4-500 all in) we could probably bring the cost down to less than a tenner per person plus lunch. Or 20 a head for 25 people.

We can always put people up at ASDfTowers - that will save some people a few pennies. And to make things even cheaper, lunch can be produced in our kitchen with the help of a few volunteers.

Warburton's and Mixed Fruit Jam, anyone?

#10 PAULYSMUM

PAULYSMUM

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

If i can help in any way i will

#11 Mo

Mo

Biker Chick

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Can't remember but i know i am not forgetful

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

God i sound the doom merchant--but will this be a Friday if we are talking of access to school conference facilities.
That would be ok--just a bit more juggling and for an early start would probably need a thursday night travel down.

I know i am asking a huge big thing here or the person who would have to administer this-(BK :) ) but is there anyway of setting up an account that we can pay into from now to spread the cost a bit.

Oh and are we going out on the p*ss on the night after it ----cos i would have to con an extra night that way--pleassssssssse say yes :whistle

#12 evie

evie

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Absolutely, sign me up :excellent

It's plenty of notice, so as long as it's a weekend or half term, childcare should be fine which is always my biggest issue.

And a couple of days break into the bargain? Just try and stop me!

Evie

#13 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

I think we'd aim for a Saturday rather than a Friday. It might have the knock on effect that we'd need to bribe the caretaker, but the building is open on Saturday AMs anyway for some community stuff.

It would be chaos trying to use it on a school day, so weekends, school hols are definitely better.

I'll talk to my boss tomorrow and see what he thinks and find out when the place is available. I think he'd waive the cost as a one-off if I smiled nicely.

#14 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

I'll talk to my boss tomorrow and see what he thinks and find out when the place is available. I think he'd waive the cost as a one-off if I smiled nicely.

So long as you only smile at him.

He's a good bloke. It would be a shame to have to kill him.

#15 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

Ratchet said he will come if he can 'dump' me on someone

Reply to this topic