123 replies to this topic

#1 Tufty

Tufty

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

Being new here..and also someone who works with children with severe autism, the range of obsessions that our kids have, never ceases to amaze me! I'm my class at school I have one 'twiddler' one 'shredder' (he has to tear everything into tiny peices..not good for paperwork!) One child who rewinds Barney vidoes in her head all day long...

My own son is curently obsessed with..TV guides (he learned to read aged 9 because of this!) 'Circus de celebrite' (some dire TV prog!) and Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals!!! he can sing most of them..or his own version, end to end, and watches the DVDs over and over. he likes the 'making of' bits best and quotes endless productions stats to anyone he can get to listen. he can drive anyone insane talking 2 inches from their face, even if they DO like muscials lol.

Just wondered if anyone else was like him?? I admit I prefer it to Thomas the Tank...
Juliex
ps it was Sesame Street when he was little. I had about 200 hours of it on video and we can ALL sing in Spanish now!!
Posted Image

#2 Gailed

Gailed

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:pets, animals, gardening, reading, my computer, chatting, doing easy crosswords, watching the birds in my garden.

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

Hello there. With your experience you should have joined ages ago.My R developed autistic tendencies just after the age of 8.Do you have any experience of this.Is this unusual.

#3 evie

evie

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:53 PM

Well, LM has had a few. His first one (and his most passionate) is rocks. From the day he could walk, he collected stones and gravel in his pockets. He still collects huge amounts of stone, from pebbles to gravel, bits of concrete and slate to half bricks. He would spend all day just digging stones out of the soil and cleaning and sorting them out. I've tried to direct him towards collecting fossils, minerals, shells and crystals (which he likes), but his fascination for lumps of concrete seems to be boundless :rolleyes: Last Christmas was the first time he asked for any toys - before it had always been "a stone".

Others: Thomas (of course), trains generally, collecting bits of paper and folders, dismantling anything electrical, shredding or cutting paper and plastics into tiny pieces (he used to eat them - just about :praying: grown out of that part now), keys and padlocks and doorhandles (first and only question when told about going to a new school: what type of doorhandles does it have?), dolphins, dolphins and more dolphins and Dr Who.

There's probably more, but that's the main ones covered B)

Evie x

#4 Tufty

Tufty

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

OOh the door handles one sounds familiar. I had a child in my class for the last two years who was obsessed with door handles. His 'treat' on a weekend if he'd been good, was to go round DIY stores to look at handles....:)
he can name all the types, and the locks!

Gailed, my son's tendencies have always been there, but have become more pronounced with age rather than less..partly I think because he was just labled 'learning difficulties' as a young child and it's only now he is showing he isn't so much LD as a complex character! Also Charlie WANTS to be social (on his own terms0 but doesn't get how...that was easier to dismiss when he was little but at nearly 10 his total lack of social understanding is glaring!

Juliex

#5 Twinkle

Twinkle

LEA Slayer

• The Moderators
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

Star Wars and Lego. :excellent

Now, imagine this if you will. Lego make Star Wars models. C has six bedroom shelves full up with Star Wars lego!!!!! There must be a fortune sitting on those shelves.

At the moment, he is writing a story. All about Star Wars, but he has made up a new character as a spin off from Star Wars. He has a PA who is going to type it all up for him in the Easter holidays. Only 10 chapters to do! :whistle He is being awfully nice to his PA at the moment! :whistle

But in all honesty, Star Wars is it for him. He even has a Darth Vadar costume. As close to the original as you can get because Muggins here made it for him and by golly, it has got to be right!!!! It even had a cod piece! :blink: Must say, I make a very good Queen Amadela too! Oh, and he has a light sabre for every main character including one his Uncle bought him that is a replica of Darth Vadar's one, made of glass and very heavy! But it is amazing when it is switched on and lit up! :excellent It sits on top of my wardrobe to prevent it being used and broken by accident.

#6 shortie

shortie

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

My DD is only 4yrs but she's obsessed with tv,nick jr to be precise,she mimics her favourites word for word,backyardigans,diego,wonder pets but her all time fav has been dora the explorer since she was 18mths,mind you she talks and counts in spanish because of it(dora speaks both languages)!!she also eats playdough so has to be watched with this,shes getting crafty by sneaking it when i'm not looking to have a feast later,also a light flicking obsession which drives me mad in winter mths not so bad now the nights are lighter!!!

#7 Spyro

Spyro

Resident Comedian! Me????

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:02 AM

My son is only 7 so maybe all that's to come! LOL
His current obsession is Doctor Who which thankfully is the only one of his long list of past obsessions that I can actually enjoy with him. :lol:

BTW, your kids are gorgeous. :)

#8 windy ginny

windy ginny

Miss Marple

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

er - VW (mainly campers but also LT35's T4's and T5's)...and now road signs

:blink: :blink:

He is 4 in July

#9 lollypocket

lollypocket

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

L is into Star Wars too - he loves the Lego Star Wars game for the PS2. I would have to say that is his most enduring obsession - he has gone through lots and tends to change them quite quickly - except Lego SW :)

KW

#10 The Card Counter

The Card Counter

A mixed up ball of string that bites

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts
  • Location:Tall grass at the bottom of a large hill struggling to climb back up
  • Interests:Computers
    Art
    Pets
    Magic
    ASDF
    Harry Potter

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

Ok my turn :)

Started showing signs very early, first Dx was at 3.

Obsessions have included over the years

Thomas the Tank
Trains (mainly steam)
Disney films (Cars, Lilo and Stitch, Peter Pan, Toy Story are the main ones)
Ice Hockey
Computer games
Tangles
Lego
Star Wars
(Lego Star Wars)
My Pets (currently 1 dog, 3 Guinea Pigs, 1 Rabbit)
Numbers (Fibonacci)
Codes and cryptology
World War 2
Pokemon
Nintendogs game on DS
Animal Crossing on DS / Game cube
Harvest Moon on DS / Game cube
Lego Star Wars on XBox 360
Art
Balls (Anything round)

Thats the main ones over the years, grown out of alot of them

#11 Mrs P

Mrs P

rats rule!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

phas jr is 17 and has always been obsessed by dinosaurs an fossils
the last few years its been final fantasy ps2 games

he has gone through
thomas
road signs
sonic the hedgehog
pigs
warhammer
reading backwards
food of only one colour
one cup/bowl/plate at all times, even when out
and others im sure to have forgotten

#12 Kitty

Kitty

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

H's obsessions have included;

doors (opening and closing)
cars (especially how they are parked)
windows
Justice League cartoons and the toy figures
writing words over and over again in certain lists (this is still a favourite)
at the moment though music is his absolute passion (its not just listening to the music though its the way the songs are displayed on my ipod/itunes - ie. lists - as they play)

I'm sure there has been more though :huh: :D

#13 pipistrelle

pipistrelle

Embrace the clutter.

• The Moderators
  • 8,920 posts
  • Interests:Trying to sleep!

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:50 AM

lil bat...altogether now....ANIMALS! (plastic ones, finger/hand puppet ones, littlest petshop, puzzles etc)
Mr Men (especially Mr dizzy, who is at school with her after an anxious morning!)
Books (mainly about animals though)

Oh and MY HAIR :glare: :rolleyes:

P x

#14 MAA2G

MAA2G

Jo - MAA2G

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

El's are: -
Dinosaurs (books, films, plastic figures)
Animals (books, films, plastic figure)
Dragons (books, films, plastic figures)
Disney Films (has over 100 dvd's in her collection and knows them all by heart)
Photography, she has to have a camera carried with us at all times if the need arises for a pic.
Computer Games, mostly pc, vsmile pocket adn vsmile console, but getting into ps2 now.
Paper, she loves rolling it, chewing it/eating it, drawing on it, making tickets with it and ripping it up.

#15 Gailed

Gailed

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:pets, animals, gardening, reading, my computer, chatting, doing easy crosswords, watching the birds in my garden.

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

D s have been from the age of 2 til he was 10 it was Bananas in pyjamas videos and anything to do with Thomas tank.Then aged 8 to 14 he was all atlas s, foreign countries, their national flags and their capital cities,which country is next to another.He knew more about this than I did, LOL.Then aged 12 to current day it is anything to do with football,Sky sports news, the weather including the tempretures inside and out.Also reading newspapers and from a simple scentence someone has said he will pick a word that interests him and pick it to pieces, EG Mr L , beefburgers, holiday Ect.He will then ask 20 questions or give statements back or opinions on his chosen word.He cannot sense the exasperation in my voice as i answer them or reply. R s are anything that makes a noise, keys and locks, motorbikes, everything has to be in its correct place or shut properly, or lined up side by side no sticking out or overlapping.And our poor dog who he will not leave alone. I think thats about it. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users