22 replies to this topic

#16 cathcart

cathcart

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Has anyone had virtual schooling or not school named in the statement?

My son has had no education for 5 terms and the professionals disagree on whether learning on the computer is a good thing.

#17 Fozzy

Fozzy

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

I think there's something in the guidance on education for children out of school for medical reasons that says something to the effect that virtual learning shouldn't be regarded as the whole answer.  I'm a bit concerned that some LAs are leaping on it as a cheap alternative to home tuition, which may be essential for some children.

#18 madferretlady

madferretlady

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:reading, ferrets, weeding - can't really call it gardening, puzzles, staying sane

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

we have same problem in NI - so many opinions on whether virtual learning is a good thing or nor that nothing is ever done. Fozzy - I know what you are saying about danger of it being leapt upon as cheap alternative - BUT - fact it may be cheaper doesn't mean it might not be as good - possibly even better? Also for many children here home tuition is just not happening. We get about 5 hours per week maths & English. This just isn't enough. What about all the other subjects?

#19 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

The 5 hours minimum is taken as a maximum by authorities.  We had to use the treat of judicial review to be offered 10 hours, but the authority told another family 5 hours was the maximum within days of backing down for us.

It's one thing to know what should be available, and another to get it.

#20 goinginsane

goinginsane

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

My son had five hours a week but couldn't engage with the tutor , he would run upstairs and hide, we tried for 8 months but got no where. He wouldn't be able to go to any school at the moment so Not school maybe the answer for now, most kids are on it for 18 months on average.

#21 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

8 months is too long to keep going with something that isn't working.  We took it very slowly when we introduced anyone to DS2, and built up from 2 sessions of 1 hour over a number of weeks, and going to a neutral venue helped a lot too.  If I remember rightly GIS the tutor's initial remit was to reintroduce him to school which wouldn't help.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Not School will help.

#22 madferretlady

madferretlady

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:reading, ferrets, weeding - can't really call it gardening, puzzles, staying sane

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

met with Disability Action NI yesterday on the topic of online education for children out of school - the Education Boards here have Elluminate but are not opening it up to allow at home children access. Disability Action are coming on board in our campaign - our group is now a member of the Children with Disability Alliance in NI, and will now be able to attend all party working groups on disability at our Assembly. Not bad going for a wee group that started in May this year with 2 angry and frustrated parents! Watch this space

#23 madferretlady

madferretlady

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

update re the virtual school campaign in northern ireland. We have been approached by a rep from one of the teaching unions. He himself is in favour of online education for out of school children and wants to encourage his union to come out in favour. Our main problem so far is that some of our unions (and one in particular) has told its members not to use the Department's online system Elluminate to teach children at home. 

This is very encouraging...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users