8 replies to this topic

#1 jacko2004

jacko2004

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Im in the diagnosis process for Aspergers and ADHD,things are just getting worse,my son is 7 in july and he has an obcession with GERMS be it anything that touches his mouth germ wise he gets very anxious about,pacing up and down and walking round in a circle repeatedly,he has recently had a bad cold and very snotty so wouldnt swallow,just went around spitting as he said he didnt want to swallow the GERMS,because he doesnt want to talk about the subject of the GERMS to me never mind anyone else,so he told his teacher today when he was going round in a circle that he felt sick but then we spoke in the car and i said has he got any GERM issues today and he said his lip touched the playground floor and the Germ THING made him think too much and asked like he always does,will it make me sick and poorly.....I know hes only young but ive had to try and make him understand when hes ANXIOUS and when he is ILL as the school said today he needs to go to the doctors as they think hes ill,i know my son and he isnt ill,i asked if he was hurting anywhere and he said no plus Jack is active 24/7 and when hes poorly he goes quiet and doesnt move off the sofa,yes hes had a cold but nothing serious, can anyone relate to this behaviour.
Kate

#2 heisadiamond

heisadiamond

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

My DS also worries about germs, not to the level your son is worrying. His is generally if his hands get dirty or if DD drinks out of his drink etc. It isn't something he goes on about and it doesn't really affect him.

I can't think of anything helpful other than a social story, someone will come along with good advice I am sure other peeps will have had a similar problem.

#3 Upsy Daisy

Upsy Daisy

Tamora

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

I can only sympathise as I don't have a solution. Puppy Girl worries about germs generally but more particularly worries about 'baby slobber' with germs in it. I childmind a baby who is just one year old. She dribbles and is sometimes snotty as they do. Puppy Girl has always worried about snotty children but it's reached a new level with this baby. She won't eat food which has been in the same room as the baby, she climbs onto the back of the sofa to keep out of her reach and then runs to a different room asap and insists that anything the baby has touched is 'soaked in baby slobber' even if it's bone dry and it has to be washed before she'll touch it again.

It's getting worse not better and I don't know how to manage it. I don't childmind this baby in the holidays so she won't be here for a couple of weeks. I don't know it that will make things better or worse - we'll see.

#4 jacko2004

jacko2004

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:22 PM

My DS also worries about germs, not to the level your son is worrying. His is generally if his hands get dirty or if DD drinks out of his drink etc. It isn't something he goes on about and it doesn't really affect him.

I can't think of anything helpful other than a social story, someone will come along with good advice I am sure other peeps will have had a similar problem.

Hi i have been looking on Amazon for some DVDS of Germs to make him understand better,its just upsetting when i see him anxious and going round in circles,then the teacher saying do you think he needs to go to the doctors and i reply he isnt poorly hes anxious and if he needed to go i wouldnt hesitate, then the teacher putting her hand on my shoulder and saying oh i know you would take him patronising !!! i just want to scream as they just dont understand.
Thanks for your reply x

I can only sympathise as I don't have a solution. Puppy Girl worries about germs generally but more particularly worries about 'baby slobber' with germs in it. I childmind a baby who is just one year old. She dribbles and is sometimes snotty as they do. Puppy Girl has always worried about snotty children but it's reached a new level with this baby. She won't eat food which has been in the same room as the baby, she climbs onto the back of the sofa to keep out of her reach and then runs to a different room asap and insists that anything the baby has touched is 'soaked in baby slobber' even if it's bone dry and it has to be washed before she'll touch it again.

It's getting worse not better and I don't know how to manage it. I don't childmind this baby in the holidays so she won't be here for a couple of weeks. I don't know it that will make things better or worse - we'll see.

Hi
Yes,its like an obcession thing,he gets so anxious with it and thats what i hate pacing and walking in circles,i hope soon i have a diagnosis and more help than im getting,things are more apparent in the last month that i have never seen before,as a mother i worry for him and how people react to things he does,when its not his fault.
Kate x

#5 goinmental

goinmental

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:thomas tank engine!!! (apparently *sigh*)
    bionicles or anything lego (that i cant build but they dont even need the instructions!)
    going slowly insane!

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

Have you tried giving him hand sanitizer?

My eldest had the same problems but this has helped a little. It is refilled with water of course as he became quite obsessed with using it and its not pleasant stuff lol!

That used along with some stories & 'cool' pictures of germ characters.

He gets through the day now at least.

It got so bad at one point he would refused to go to the toilet because germs lived there, and even asked if he could start using dettol on his food! :blink:

It does get better and you're certainly not alone x

#6 jacko2004

jacko2004

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

Have you tried giving him hand sanitizer?

My eldest had the same problems but this has helped a little. It is refilled with water of course as he became quite obsessed with using it and its not pleasant stuff lol!

That used along with some stories & 'cool' pictures of germ characters.

He gets through the day now at least.

It got so bad at one point he would refused to go to the toilet because germs lived there, and even asked if he could start using dettol on his food! :blink:

It does get better and you're certainly not alone x

Omg !! i thought i had it bad.....yes the hand sanitizer sounds a good idea,is it a sensory thing or obcession i dont understand whats going on and why ?? x

#7 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:58 PM

James is the same and he is also 7 years old.

He worries constantly about germs.

Before he will eat anything and I mean anything he will run off and wash his hands even if he has just washed them 5 minutes beforehand.

He also constantly sniffs his hands.

If he can't wash his hand then he will use the sleeves of his t-shirt to eat with instead :rolleyes: .

We are just starting to explain about germs to James that for instance it's not a good thing not to be exposed to germs as this can make you more sick.

He doesn't seem to mind picking his nose though! So obviously there's a bit of germ selection going on there.

#8 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

I am diagnosed with a extreme and severe germ phobia linked to a vomit phobia.

Been in therapy for years!

Any specific questions?

#9 jacko2004

jacko2004

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

I am diagnosed with a extreme and severe germ phobia linked to a vomit phobia.

Been in therapy for years!

Any specific questions?

Hi and nice to meet you,well on the pc,My son just has this thing that i think drives him mad,he wont eat anything that touches his hands unless he knows his hands are properly clean ie washed throughly with soap and water,he can get Very anxious with it at times,only yesterday i put his lunch on the table,a fly sat on his plate and the whole meal had to be binned,he just wouldnt eat any of it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users