#1 dormouse

dormouse

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Reading, baking, sewing.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

A has never liked having sun cream put on. It is always a battle, especially at the start of the summer when he has to start wearing it again. Last year he had meltdowns over it and hid under bed refusing to come out.

He has told me this year that he doesn't like it because it is cold when it goes on, he doesn't like the way it feels on his skin, sticky and doesn't like the way it smells.

So far I have managed with the bribe of a quick game on my smart phone once the cream is on. I use once cream on him for school now as I don't think he would reapply at lunch time.

He is very good about wearing a hat, (as far as I know) but I still want to be able to put suncream on without knowing how much a battle it will be that morning.

We have previously tried sniffing lots of suncream bottles and he chose a make he tolerated the smell of more, but have not done that in a while. I guess I had become less tolerant of it, but now we suspect he has aspergers/autism I'm wondering if I should be more tolerant and try the bottle sniffing again.

anyone found a fragrance free once lotion that doesn't leave a sticky feel and isn't cold?

oh, and does anyone have a good social story on the need for suncream? I've been asked to use them by senco and edu pysch and feel I need to be making more effort, this feels like a good time where social story may help.

#2 natstrug

natstrug

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Lindy Hop

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

We don't have problems with sun cream, so can't offer any advice from experience. However, a couple of things that might work: could you warm up the cream (sit in hot water/microwave), to combat the cold sensation?
Ollie has AS and loves science and understanding how things work, so maybe you could find some interesting scientific images of the underlying damage that sun exposure causes (although probably not an option if A is a worrier). You could check out sunaware.org.

#3 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

When summer is over keep applying cream to him (moisturiser) daily so next year you dont face the same battle.

I am ok with creams. I like some and end up covered from head to toe left on my own to do it! But there are plenty of things I dont like and rewards work but you cant reward eveything so its rules. If I hated sun cream it would be 'No sun cream no playing outside / playing xbox' whatever the thing I want to do is. A bit hard when your trying to get ready for school though I guess!

#4 tedybearr

tedybearr

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

B hates it, and i got smacked in the head by an ice cube when i tried to apply some.

#5 dormouse

dormouse

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

ouch! hope your head is ok tedybearr.

Thank you for the link Natstrug, I've written a social story now and tried to include some science and facts. A does like science so hope it works.

Mozzy, thanks for the idea of putting moisturser on lots all year. :) Your right that its difficult before school. I tried "no telly until sun cream is on", but he was happy to just go without telly!

#6 selby

selby

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hello we have a similar problem J doesn't do the cream but is more tolerant of the spray sun cream.
He has learnt a difficult lesson this week as refused sun cream and has burned slightly and he really can not cope so think next time he goes out he will be a bit more happy about sun ceam!!!!

Edited by selby, 28 May 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#7 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, exercising.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi

Our son doesn't like having sun cream put on for all the same reasons.

He much prefers "Nivea sun invisible protection transparent spray" which we found by chance last year. It is just a liquid spray so is not greasy at all and rubs over the skin really quickly. It has a bit of a fumey smell which disappears really fast. Doesn't seem to get as cold as cream either.

Only problem is it isn't a "once" formula. I was skeptical it'd work as it feels almost like it is too thin to do anything but he didn't burn in mega heat abroad last year!

Tangled xx

#8 tedybearr

tedybearr

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Had 2 black eyes so it was ouch lol, oh well i wont be doing that again, i have now got the spray which he will tolerate but i cant rub it in xxxx

#9 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

Failing creams you can buy long sleeve tops and trousers that are thin, skin tight and sun proof. Not the top fashion thing but for playing in the garden it might be an option look at the link;

http://www.johnlewis...8&sku=231346868
  • tedybearr likes this

#10 Helenllama

Helenllama

Football Crazy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Interests:too much to fit here

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

I much prefer the sprays everywhere except my hands, when I use up my stockpile I may try some of the invisible stuff.
Anyway I have no choice about using sun protection, as despite having darkish hair (which has red in it), my skin is very fair, and sun protection is lesser evil of burning or sun cream by a mile.

#11 Upsy Daisy

Upsy Daisy

Tamora

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

We have differences of opinion in our house.

Puppy Girl likes Proderm mousse

http://www.amazon.co...pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

because it it not cold, doesn't smell and doesn't leave your skin feeling sticky.

Pony Girl likes the Ambre Solaire Light and silky because it doesn't leave a residue.

Neither will tolerate the one the other uses so we take two bottles everywhere.

This is perhaps a better link for the Proderm

http://www.boots.com...-150ml_1046599/

#12 nomatterwhat

nomatterwhat

Nomatterwhat

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Interests:eating chocolate .splashing in the river with kids and dog!!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

I've just reccomeneded p20 on another thread....it's pricey but very good,only one application a day needed?!!!! Sell it in costco at good price usually.

#13 dormouse

dormouse

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Shall look into them and see if there are some he will tolerate more.

#14 frantic-mum

frantic-mum

extremely frantic now

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Interests:reading, looking for info on ASD, swimming with ds,

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

G hates sun cream as well, he complains about the greasy feel of it, the smell and the fact that it often attracts flies etc, he has very pale skin and burns very quickly even with a factor 50 cream or spray, if we are out all day i have to put more on (usually every 2-3 hours) and this causes more problems.

#15 Lionheart

Lionheart

A name borrowed in tribute, - RIP DW.

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Location:Bucks/Northants border -never actually sure where I am
  • Interests:Polymer and Silver Clays
    Anything Arty Crafty
    Beauty and the Beast TV Series (still ..nearly 25 years after being axed from TV...wow escapism must be my speciality)

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

I have been recommended Ultrasun, very similar to the P20, but in a greater range, its another single application product, I have also been told that QVC sell it cheaper than most places ...if you trust TV shopping.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users