24 replies to this topic

#1 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

Well we're on the lead up to Christmas and surprisingly nothing's been mentioned on here so thought I'd start lol.

I love Christmas and especially this year as I'm off for the whole two weeks yippee ( actually signed off with labrynthitis for the past 4 months boo!) this week I have been feeling better so managing to get out and about a bit more thankfully.)

So what's everyone doing this year? Anything exciting?

We're starting it off with a trip to mama Mia for DS birthday celebrations on Monday, he turns eight. He loves the movie and noise isn't one of the issues we have so fingeres crossed all goes well. We've also got pantomime tickests through dh work to look forward too and even managed to get tickets for Justin's party in the new year.

DS has also been given the part off host speaker in his school nativity which is right up his street ( shyness is an amotion he has never had. ) so proud of him think he will knock it out off the park as long as anxiety doesn't rock up. My Dd has her primary 1 nativity and is a snowflake, too cute.

I have even managed to get all DS presents without too much hassle. I've stuck to his interests Lego, nerf, Pokemon and trains. And even managed to give the family some pointers too, it seems transformers and power rangers are still something he's interested in playing with so all in all a huge success.

( complete Pokemon mania here, he's moved from talking repeatedly about Lego to Pokemon, wish I knew what he was talking about if I have to here it constantly lol)

We've not got the decorations up yet we wait till after his birthday, this is when his mood often changes, DS gets overwhelmed at Christmas but showing no signs yet....

I've also had some free time to do some Christmas craft, a life saver when off recently.

Just got to plan the food, and wrap the presents, oh and attend the many events at school and remember the Christmas jumper day, school party, tinsel day and wear something Christmassy day .... but there's something great about this time off year x

#2 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

Christmas is usually our main family holiday - our family and my parents have usually gone away to the same place every year. This takes quite a lot of organisation. More so this year with ds1 being away from the family. My parents are bringing him with them to stay in a different part of the village. We will be meeting up over the week from time to time in public spaces to minimise stress for ds2 and dd, and me also. It's going to be a bit different, but at least the place, the routine and the expectations on ds1 are well established...

I am enjoying all the pre Christmas activities, although still recovering from helping build scenery for dd's class play with some rather overenthusiastic helpers!

#3 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:58 AM

Ha ha it's ususally me who starts this thread in August lol.

Glad to hear you managed to get out and about a bit tracky. Not sure what labrynthitis is but sounds painful! I've got stage 4 arthritis in my knee which plays up now and again particularly when having to trudge round a lot.

This year LE has school jumper day too and just received a flyer from school to say he needs to dress up on Tuesday as a scientist so we've chosen Galileo.

Was stuck for ideas for a while what to get him then slowly managed to sort out stuff for him and now I'm quite pleased with what I've got. His main presents are mostly computer games of course but also got him a Gingerbread House (for some reason he's got it into his head he wants to make one),  watch, really funky alarm clock, one of those sweet hamper trees and he's also got into parkour so got him a parkour t-shirt and new pencil case. Plus some other bits and pieces.

LE gave me his Christmas List some weeks back which had written on the top 'Parent List' and at the bottom of his long list of presents "plus Christmas surprises. Total £840 to £940". Ha ha. Got him to whittle it down a bit lol.

#4 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

It's lovely to hear how all the kids are managing over this busy time.

Oh I forgot with me being off I also managed to do the shoe box appeal and the children's toy appeal that we do every year, but this year since I have more time I am organising a reverse advent box with food stuffs and treats to be given to those less fortunate on Christmas Eve.

Labrynthitis is a virus in the inner ear that causes balance issues, dizziness that sort of thing queen Claudia.

I remember your feed from last year it made me chuckle I loved all the talk off cooking, presents and such lol It inspired me a bit x

#5 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

Are you cooking anything Tracky?

I'm hoping to put the Christmas tree up with LE on Wednesday as he finishes half day. Thinking of making some shortbread biscuits or fruit cake to make a little event of it.

I'm also over Christmas going to get him to help me in the kitchen preparing some meals. I've been waiting for his motor skills to improve (slicing, spreading, pouring etc etc) which they have a bit but not hugely.

So decided now he has just hit 13 this is the ideal time to start teaching him how to prepare some meals. Not sure how enthusiastic he'll be about it mind unless it cakes and biscuits of course!

#6 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

Sounds positive, he might show enthusiasm if it's meals he really likes.

Saying that Logan still eats sausage chips and beans on Christmas Day and only eats creamy pasta on the odd occasion, toast and marmite and greggs sausage rolls any other time. He can make his toast now although the spreading is a bit hit or miss but he's still young, using cutlery still a struggle so chopping is out for us. My 5 yr old Dd enjoys helping me in the kitchen not sure if she's a help or a hinderence really lol.

Not sure wot I'm cooking yet, apart from the usual Turkey, Christmas is at mine again although it wasn't supposed to be quite as busy. I wanted it just the four off us but best laid plans off mice and men and all that. So now I'm cooking for 8 instead.

Fancy something nice for Christmas Eve but it'll end up just me eating it. Dd will eat a version off it along with dh but not L. You?

We're looking more Christmassy today in ours I got the Christmas ornaments out and the candles.

Our tree will probably go up on Sunday, your holidays must be different as L doesn't finish up until the 23rd. Works girl us do that he doesn't have long to mope around before Christmas Day x

#7 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hi Tracky.

Cooking for 8 gulp wouldn't fancy that at all lol! Will just be the 3 of us as usual as my family live some distance away. We go back and visit the day after Boxing Day.

Dh is doing the turkey this year. For the past two years I have incinerated it no idea why as I am a good cook but feel like I'm jinxed with the Christmas turkey!

We always have beef rib on Christmas Eve which I love. I always enjoy that meal much more than the turkey.

Been looking through the M&S Christmas Food Mag and am very tempted to get a couple of their desserts. The trifle looks very nice! Maybe you could just get yourself something special.

#8 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:07 AM

I was ever the optimist thinking the birthday treats would go to plan.

Yesterday was a bit of a disaster, the prezzies were a hit but the pantomime ended up a surprise as dh didn't get the tickets from his work until last minute, so prepared L as much as possible thinking things would be fine he'd been before all be it two years ago.

He was adamant he wasn't going from the start, complete avoidance behaviours, anyway got him there thinking if I got him in the theatre he would remember and recognise things and settle down. But no he just kept saying it was stupid and dumb!

I know, I know mistake on my part, things have been so good for him lately I guess I just got a little complacent I guess lol

Anyway as you can probably guess his anxiety shot up, complete refusal, ended up sitting outside and my Dd and dh went in. By this time L was getting angry so I called in my mum who took him out the situation completely. I was going to take him somewhere for a drink etc whilst the pantomime was on but mum was around so saved the day.

Got home and he was much calmer as he was back with his new Lego, which appeared to be part of the problem, he just wanted to build and I took him away from it.

Needless to say he has spent the last 24 hrs building everything he got like a demon. We had to pull the consequence card out the bag at 11 pm last night as he was completely refusing to stop and go too bed. Boy when he gets obsessed he goes for it. Today much off the same but he's finally finished and his mind can finally relax. He's shattered.

A bit concerned about crimbo now as he's got double the Lego sets to complete, don't think I'll get him out the house for a week ....

#9 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hi Tracky what  a day you had! Never let your guard down as it will bite you in the arse lol. So sorry it all went pear shaped on your been there, done that and got the t-shirt as they say!

I've had to do that in the cinema in the past, just take him out as he couldn't cope with it. He is much, much better now he is older though. Would love to go to see a philharmonic orchestra with him but not sure how he would react. He will either love it or hate it and demand to leave. Problem is you have to try these things don't you or you'll never know.

Sounds like he is a huge lego fan. At least you are guaranteed some peace and quiet on Christmas Day lol.

We give our son a Christmas Eve hamper usually with a computer game in it. He has his xbox upstairs in his room now and his PS4 down here so I'll make sure it's an xbox game so he doesn't hog the TV all Christmas Eve!

#10 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

Yeah we do the Christmas box too, have done it for a few years now, we put in sweets, colouring and DVD. He's also daft/ obsessed in colouring Pokemon at the moment. Honestly the amount off printer ink we've went through recently.

Well it's his actually birthday treat tonight, he knows about it and has been excited to go see mama Mia. I'm not convinced after Saturday but he says he'll manage because he's seen the film about 18 times and knows wot happens???

I might end up walking about Edinburgh looking st the lights all night. Fingers crossed x

#11 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:46 PM

Hope it all goes well this evening and he enjoys his birthday treat.

Makes perfect sense what he is saying as my son used to be the same. I used to dread staying over with his young cousins over Christmas as they would just whip out any old children's DVD and I knew at that time probably most of them LE would have a problem with.

Tears and tantrums would follow and LE would be labelled naughty and spoiled because they would have to turn it off. I used to tell them he needed prior warning and to put it past me first but it never happened.

LE was fine with things he had seen before and enjoyed usually!

As you say fingers crossed and he will be fine.

#12 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

Yippee, success

L coped really well and declared the night to be awesome even got a compliment on how well behaved they were which never , happens, it's normally stares and tuts.

Lovely night had by all.

Now on to the next things which are the nativities x

#13 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

Oh so pleased for you it went well yipeeeeee!!

#14 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

Isn't it always the things which you worry about that goes best!  Glad he had a good time.

#15 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

Do your kids still believe in Santa?

I'm sort of relieved now LE doesn't.

Last year we had a hell of a time with him as he wouldn't get to sleep. I thought he was just excited but he told me recently that he was really stressed about some old man coming into his room!

He still wants everything exactly the same though, stocking stuff left outside his room and main presents under the tree. I think it will be one of the least stressful Christmases we've had this year becaue of no Santa.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users