Photo

What's your 8 year old asperger boy like?

33 replies to this topic

#31 natstrug

natstrug

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Lindy Hop

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

He has NEVER done colouring in, cutting out or any other art/craft activity without huge encouragement and usually gives up after a couple of minutes.

Although he needs to know what is going to happen, he can be very flexible providing he can see why something is being changed.

Snap!

#32 tedybearr

tedybearr

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

B has bits of all the posts here including yours caci:unsure:
Hes not that structured tbh.
He also finds keeping friends hard as he only wants to interact with them if they are doing something he wants to do, ie footy or pc:huh:

Edited by tedybearr, 14 October 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#33 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

:help: Caci, you've just described DS2 who's 11 and in mainstream. The anxiety isn't as severe as M, but it is being seen on occassions, more so at the end of yr 6. He had more difficulty learning to read than the other 2, and was slow to read for pleasure, but no stopping him now. He has friends, but can't share them with siblings, retreats into his own angry world if siblings get on with his friends. I can see similarities with T, but not the estremes of behaviour, anxiety and confusion.

I've had to eamil school about science; he'd copied the questions, and not answered them,; he'd been told to copy the questions and that was all. :lol:

Edited by imperfect parent, 14 October 2010 - 01:09 PM.

#34 Ellen G

Ellen G

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

My son is now 19, but I can tell you some of what he went through, from age 8 on up.

dreaded school

sudden extreme increase in depression and anxiety

wearing jacket in hot weather, hood up and tied (we live in Florida!)

scratching shins to bleeding, skin sensitivity to tags, waistbands, etc

high tolerance to pain; could be seriously ill or hurt and not complain or show discomfort

aversion to odors

pretending to be James Bond, refusing to go to school unless he could wear a black suit and carry a brief case

was afraid of bridges for a while

lying

really began to notice he was shunned by other kids his age

wanted to play with kids 3 years his junior (always seems to be 3-4 years behind in maturity), but we were afraid to let him have much contact with younger kids because the age difference made him suspect in other people's eyes

got taken advantage of by NT bad kids, who pretended to be his friends, then blamed him for things they had stolen. It broke my heart for him.

loves Xbox

obsessed with history, medieval weapons, WWII tanks and weapons

obsessed with guns; stole keys to gun cabinets and hid guns, ammo, knives, in grandparents back yard (needless to say, gun collection was sent away from home)

had to keep all knives locked up, afraid to let him play with other kids

could not dress himself without each item handed to him; took 30 min to dress

Severe trouble with math and language teaching, total refusal to do any school homework

Had outbursts of rage when thwarted, hit huge holes in walls of his room with a golf club when he was sent to room for timeout

No empathy for others (with a couple years of rehearsing situations and discussing why people feel what they do in certain circumstances, his empathy matured A LOT)

The years of 8 through 12 were the worst. Public school was a nightmare. At age 12, we were lucky enough to find a small private school that specializes in special education, and he blossomed there. He also was diagnosed properly for the first time, and his meds for depression and anxiety, along with the new school, really made it possible to leave his shell and reach out.

The next six years were a golden age. Since he has always run 3-4 years behind other kids in emotional maturity, he is right about age 15-16 now, which for a boy is a hormonal Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hide. He has his good days and bad. Just when I am about to give up hope, he will suddenly have an "Ah Ha!" moment, and begin to make progress again.

Edited by Ellen G, 17 October 2010 - 08:51 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users