Photo

Pip Preparing Simple Meals

5 replies to this topic

#1 ShineBright

ShineBright

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:57 PM

Sorry if I'm in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to write so I decided "general".
I have just received the PIP form to complete for my son, he already receives DLA , I have read through the form and now have gone totally blank and just don't know what to write regarding the preparing food and cooking section because he has never cooked or prepared food in his life . I would be grateful for some suggestions as to what to write, he has high anxiety, depression is constantly worried about doing the right thing . He has ASD diagnosis . Thanks in advance

#2 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hi there.

I've never completed a PIP form as my son is too young but I know there are others on here who have so hopefully they will be able to give you sound advice.

I would just write what you have put on here that he has never prepared a meal in his life but also give the reasons why? As you state anxiety would be one and write how that anxiety affects him and makes it impossible to prepare food. Is it also to do with motor skills difficulties such as preparation of food or awareness of danger using sharp knives.

My 12 year old wouldn't be able to prepare food because he does not have the motor skills to cut with a knife and he would end up cutting himself in the process. He cannot spread with a knife such as spreading butter on bread, can't peel such as peeling pots. I would go into detail and give examples.

#3 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:15 PM

Sensory issues - like can't tolerate cooking smells or textures?

Can he plan so things finish cooking at the same time? 

Check ingredients are in date to prevent food poisoning?

Follow instructions if given either verbally or in writing?

Get distracted and wander off leaving the gas on?

Any plan to teach him how to cook? e.g. working with college towards being able to prepare food safely, anticipate success in 5 years/never... 

• Eggman likes this

#4 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

For our son the issues include deciding what to eat,being unsure which ingredients are available, judging how much butter and filling for sandwiches. Whilst he can cook with supervision he hates the decision and communication needed, and will have plain bread and water if there is no one to help.

#5 KarenAnn

KarenAnn

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

I had a look at this form with regards to my step daughter and felt that although the answer was yes to quite a few of the questions it was not giving the true picture by a long way. She lives on her own and can prepare/cook meals but quite often has to call us up as she doesn't understand instructions. There was a question about recognising signs and symbols. Again the answer would be yes however her interpretation of them is not necessarily correct. This goes on throughout the form and I suspect that if applied for the answer would be a refusal.

#6 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:12 PM

I had a look at this form with regards to my step daughter and felt that although the answer was yes to quite a few of the questions it was not giving the true picture by a long way. She lives on her own and can prepare/cook meals but quite often has to call us up as she doesn't understand instructions. There was a question about recognising signs and symbols. Again the answer would be yes however her interpretation of them is not necessarily correct. This goes on throughout the form and I suspect that if applied for the answer would be a refusal.

So many questionaires I have completed get a yes, but ...... When DS2 was assessed by our local team I had to rescue DH and the SaLT mid way through so DH restarted the questions with the Psych and answered yes but...... in exactly the same way as I had.  the questions just don't allow you to answer yes or no and give the whole picture.

• KarenAnn likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users