2 replies to this topic

#1 Spiral

Spiral

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I've put this post under non asd matters as it concerns my eldest daughter that has cp. She's seventeen with very complex needs and attends a special school for profoundly disabled young people in the old county. Currently she is in year twelve and has been making fantastic progress in her current school and is very settled. However we have been forced into a change of address which has consequently taken us over county borders, although only a fifteen minute drive from our previous address. Despite the new county knowing for a month of the intended move they informed me yesterday that their panel have decided that against our request for her to remain at her current school they are going to amend her statement immediately to name their local school with effect from Monday, which would only give us two days to prepare her.

I have obviously voiced my concern and have got them to agree to her remaining at her current school for an interim period although they are still amending her statement which I am then entitled to oppose later on. Transport is a huge issue at the moment old county are willing to extend their contract for a couple of weeks providing new county agree to pick up the costs, however and frustratingly the people who need to give the go ahead have been unobtainable today. I would also like the opportunity to have a say in the placement and reflect my daughters views and so would her current school and we all feel that a move now would be detrimental to her as she is due to transition over the next two years anyway to a college placement. I have contacted parent partnership and they along with everyone else I have spoken too think that a change in placement would be ridiculous at this time. Was wondering if anyone with any knowledge in this area has any advice that would help, as this is very stressful.
  • Pydracypreevy, Sherlorie, Jiraffe and 1 other like this

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Have a look at the law.  I know that the new county have to adopt the statement, but I'm not sure is they need to hold a review meeting before deciding to change it.  What evidence was put before the panel?  

If you do appeal a decision it's not clear where the child needs to go in the interim period.  Some people argue that the old statement stands until the appeal is heard, others say the child has to be in the school that the new statement names.  Again you need advice on this.

You could try talking to the SENTW helpline, but cross check with PP any advice you are given.

We have a similar problem in that our county makes a decision and then hunts for evidence to support the decision. 

#3 Spiral

Spiral

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think the only evidence put before panel was her current statement and possibly the letter I wrote to the SEN manager request for her to remain at her current placement. What is a review meeting and how does this fit in with a panel review, shouldn't they have done a review meeting before panel?

Also where would I find the law? I think I have a PDF on SEN legalities which I shall hunt for now. Never heard of SENTW but will look that up now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users